9 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,676 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

Sentiment rather than policy so far, but being talked about.

Aside from the fact that history has taught us repeatedly that trying to reduce drinking by legislating is a really, really stupid and counter-productive thing to do, I am curious what the mechanism would be. Have the DoH setting prices for private retail businesses? Imposing a tax on discounted drinks?

Other states have done it, apparently, but I don't know how.

#2 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,676 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

Okay, this is how you do it (per Massachusetts). Must not:

sell, offer to sell or deliver to any person or group of persons any
drinks at a price less than the price regularly charged for such drinks
during the same calendar week

Yay! Happy week!

#3 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

Happy Hour prices only for regulars? That way they can spot the inspectors. Regulars already get special pricing in lots of places.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#4 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,771 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

If I were a bar owner, I think I'd think that Happy Hour would lose its point if limited to regulars.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#5 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

Sometimes it's whats keeps regulars regulars.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#6 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,771 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:53 PM

No, frequent buy-backs at whatever time they happen to be there is what keeps regulars regulars.

Publicized daily specials at a set time bring in new folk.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#7 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,676 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:53 PM

Terrifyingly, I suspect any legislation would include a technical ban on buybacks (a ban on offering any free drinks).

I may have to burn my green card.

#8 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,676 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

RTBC: Best buyback story of last week.

Friday night at Yankee stadium was so cold, drinking "ice cold beer" was unappealing. Hence I stopped by a familiar hostelry on my way home to quench my thirst. Bartender asked how I was, and I complained that I had been outside all night and was freezing.

"This is on me," said she, placing a beer before me. "It will warm you up."

#9 9lives

9lives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

Okay, this is how you do it (per Massachusetts). Must not:

sell, offer to sell or deliver to any person or group of persons any
drinks at a price less than the price regularly charged for such drinks
during the same calendar week

Yay! Happy week!

I remember when this was instituted in MA. It was a sad day. No more 2 for 1's. There were a few places that heavily pushed this biz. People would stumble out at 6:30, hammered. Not bad if you could walk home, but a disaster for suburbanites that were jumping in their cars. Free apps were prohibited.

Far cry from the good old days when we could plan our week around free chicken wings at X and double drinks on Tues.."Swedish" meatballs and double drinks at Y on Wed and so on..:) Tough living on $1000/month in Manhattan..even in the 70's..:)

In practice, I usually get a freebie in Boston at the few places I frequent in Boston, but it's not allowed by law.

#10 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,611 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

Many Florida folks have created a matrix for combining lunchtime special menu deals with happy hour special drinks deals. Since different places have different deals, the action switches day by day.

Here's an example at a small chain of sports bars in Martin and St Lucie counties. The lunch menu is usually served until 4pm. The $6.99 lunch deal is a 1/2 pound hamburger, fries, salad, and a dessert. The happy hour is 2 for 1 pricing on pints and pitchers of beer, as well as 2 for 1 on mixed drinks, etc. That offer runs from 4 to 6 pm, overlapping the "early bird special" deals.

At about 3.45, the place rocks as dozens of people arrive and place their burger platter orders. They also place a drinks order for delivery after 4pm. It becomes the principal meal of the day.

Eliminating happy hour would eliminate lots of elected officials on the next go around...

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman