4 replies to this topic

#1 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

I haven't read the novel so have no idea whether the idiocy is due to Faulks or Abi Morgan (the screenwriter). Fans of sentimentality and snobbery will love this one -- it has it all. Callous brutes of Frenchmen. Selfless English gentlemen. Noble proles dying nobly. Incompetent generals. Hardened sergeants breaking down at the slaughter. Homosexuals dying conveniently before they get a chance to do anything beastly. Horrible disfigurement consisting of one barely noticeable scar and some sort of painless and invisible internal issue (probably a woman's thing) that allows the heroine to die silently offstage. Beautiful love child that will alway remind Selfless English Gentleman of his one true love.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#2 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,164 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

I thought it was cliche, yes, and very morose. Eddie Redmayne seems to do morose a lot, he gloomily moped through both The Good Shepherd (not very good) and Savage Grace (utterly dreadful).
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#3 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,103 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

Sounds like it has nothing to do with what I know of The Grateful Dead's Birdsong.

http://www.youtube.c...jw&feature=fvst
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#4 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,919 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:44 PM

I thought it was going to be a documentary biography of Cindy Birdsong.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#5 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

This was one of the worst productions I've ever seen. Combine crappy British sound recording with thick accents & you have a show that's 80% unintelligible, at least to these ears. If ever there was an English-language series that cried out for subtitles, this is it.

Of course, the dialogue might have been as maudlin as the story line, so perhaps i'm better off.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.