#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,022 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:00 AM

Flo Fab in the NY Times:

“We saw so much diversity in drinking in New York, it was fascinating,” Mr. de Goriainoff said. “There was no cocktail culture in France, and what people were drinking was bad quality. None of us had real professional experience before we started the E.C.C. We did our first professional experience by creating our own jobs, and in that respect we are very American-spirited.”

The Parisian original, furnished with vintage odds and ends, has no more than 25 seats, and bartenders who would look at home in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, with their caps and suspenders. They mix drinks like the Memphis sour, made with Rittenhouse rye, red wine, lemon, bitters and paprika. The group owns three cocktail lounges and a wine bar in Paris — all with different names because “the French don’t like chains,” as Mr. de Goriainoff put it. There is also an Experimental Cocktail Club Chinatown, in London.

For New York, the partners have decorated a larger space in a mix of retro styles, with a pressed tin ceiling. “We thought this look would reflect the history of this neighborhood,” Mr. Cros said.

The menu lists 14 cocktails made by Nicolas de Soto, most of which are extremely complex, like the Curious Prescription, made with reposado tequila, pear eau de vie, manzanilla sherry, lime juice, habanero bitters and homemade salted caramel mezcal syrup. But the partners do not want the cocktail menu published. “It should be a surprise to the customers who come in,” Mr. de Goriainoff said.

Experimental Cocktail Club

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#2 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:40 PM

I know Nicolas from both the ECC in Paris as well as some time he spent behind the stick at Dram in Williamsburg. Great knowledge of booze, so I'm sure the cocktails are great.

Don't know how enamored I am of the door policy and posture. But I am sure I'll end up there for drinks occasionally, early and early in the week.

#3 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,626 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

Looks nice, but you really have to enter into email correspondence to get a drink? #hospitality

#4 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,646 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

I remember all the fuss to get into Please Don't Tell, and nowadays you can just walk in.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#5 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:24 PM

I remember all the fuss to get into Please Don't Tell, and nowadays you can just walk in.

You can if there's space for you. Same as D & C.

Of course, since PDT opened, any number of places have opened where it's possible to get a great drink.

And there will be more.

#6 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,646 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:38 PM

The point is, it's well established (however odd it may seem) that people will go to that kind of trouble, just to have a cocktail.

PDT and D&C aren't as hard to get in as they used to be, partly because they've cooled off, and partly because there's more competition in the cocktail market.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#7 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,626 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:44 PM

I won't.

#8 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

I won't.

Neither will I.

#9 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,192 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:59 PM

Me neither.

Buncha tough guys here.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#10 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,626 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

Might have to start a pro-hospitality campaign (following the viral success of Save Our Bars, and Stop the War on Nightlife).

Need a manifesto.

#11 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,626 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:14 PM

Me neither.

Buncha tough guys here.

You'll jump through the smartphone hoops for Milk & Honey, ya pussy.

#12 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,646 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:18 PM

A slight re-wording of that sentence would describe the actual situation.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#13 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:19 PM

Ha! Milk and Honey was never really that tough. And - they were the first of their ilk, so...

#14 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,192 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

Me neither.

Buncha tough guys here.

Not any more.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#15 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,192 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:22 PM

Oakapple has a point there.
Bar Loser