#1 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:35 PM

Saw this on Tuesday night.

I'm a fan of Bob Marley's music but never took the time to learn a lot about him. An interesting life: very driven and inspirational but with his share of flaws. I thought the director, Kevin Macdonald, did a good job of finding the truth in the story and was careful with the emotions. The concert footage Bob Marley was a revelation for me: he was an immensely talented performer.

Funny to see the Wailers in their original incarnation as a sort of Frankie Lymon-style band. Bit interviews from Jimmy Cliff and a few others. Chris Blackwell and Bunny Wailer are featured throughout. I thought that Neville Garrick was incredibly engaging during his extensive interviews.

I have to agree with Anthony Lane, who reviewed the movie in the New Yorker, that there wasn't enough long looks at the music. Not a single complete song played.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#2 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79,730 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:38 PM

Oh, that must be really frustrating. What a strange artistic choice.

#3 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,213 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

Maybe there will be full songs with the DVD release.

"From a young age, my parents impressed on me the values that you work hard for what you want in life, that your word is your bond and you do what you say and keep your promise, that you treat people with respect. They taught and showed me values and morals in their daily lives."  © hollywood 2016.

#4 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:37 PM

It's a documentary on his life rather than a concert film. Maybe Don't look Back featured full songs but I can't think of another.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#5 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:48 PM

I think that one full song from a concert would have been a good choice. His stage presence was really incredible.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#6 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79,730 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:52 PM

It's a documentary on his life rather than a concert film. Maybe Don't look Back featured full songs but I can't think of another.

Two and a half hours, though. You think he might have squeezed one in.

#7 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,377 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:54 PM

I thought this was about a dog.

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.

#8 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,213 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:21 PM

I thought this was about a dog.

A dawg of a different sort.

"From a young age, my parents impressed on me the values that you work hard for what you want in life, that your word is your bond and you do what you say and keep your promise, that you treat people with respect. They taught and showed me values and morals in their daily lives."  © hollywood 2016.

#9 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:42 PM

I saw this on Sunday and have to say I enjoyed it a great deal

My wife & I were in Jamaica in January and visited Nine Mile, so some of the scenes had particular resonance even if the whole area has now been turned into a tourist compound.

I wondered about the use of (or lack of use of) complete songs, but wondered if there was a copyright issue with short clips coming under "fair usage" and not carrying as high a fee as complete songs.

Anyway, I definitely think it is worth seeing, if BM is of any interest to you at all

Slapsie