545 replies to this topic

#1 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,456 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:38 PM

This Daily News piece decrying the local opposition to the opening of a Hooters in Park Slope really pisses me off.

You oppose the opening of a basketball arena in your neighborhood because you fear it will lead to the opening of a bunch of dickheaded neighborhood-changing businesses there. You get shouted down as being paranoid: the arena will be all gain.

You then oppose the dickheaded neighborhood-changing businesses that the arena ends up actually attracting, and you get shouted down because you lost the fight against the arena.

If you want to go to a Hooters, go in your own fucking neighborhood, dickforbrains.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#2 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70,306 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

Those shiny tights are horrible.

I wonder if the Munchkin remembers saying she wanted to be a Hooters waitress when she grew up?

#3 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,456 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:40 PM

I can put in a good word for her in the Brooklyn one if it ever opens.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#4 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,044 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:53 PM

I wonder if the Munchkin remembers saying she wanted to be a Hooters waitress when she grew up?

I'm thinking the tights were just for the photo, not for everyday.

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#5 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

Wrong.

They are awful but I think the photo makes them look even more awful because they reflect the flash weirdly.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#6 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70,306 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:01 PM

Standard Hooters uniform.

#7 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,444 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:02 PM

Don't you wear yours everyday?

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#8 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,044 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:12 PM

Don't you wear yours everyday?

Only for you, darling.

Big Freedia

#9 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,447 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:10 PM

Hooters waitstaff can make excellent wages, at least in northern NJ. One of our neighbors is working her way through college, and keeping up with car payments, etc on their dimes. In the pecking order of jobs, it's pretty high up.

I suspect a lot of the Park Slope issue is the neighbors don't want the slippery slope that leads directly from Hooters to Port 41 or the Meat Locker in just a few steps. Steps from their brownstones.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#10 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,456 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:16 PM

No, I think it's pure cultural horror. One of the reason you move into neighborhoods like Park Slope, or mine next door (or Brownstone Brooklyn as a whole*) (or towns like Montclair, for that matter), is the assumption that businesses like that could never open there. The liberal consensus is too strong. We may be closed-minded, but there we are.

I don't buy the "good wages"/putting people through college excuse. I'm sure the same is true of many strip clubs. And if a restaurant chain paid minorities good wages to dress up as liveried house slaves, I think many would still have a problem with it.

(If anyone thinks this is getting too political, let me know and I'll delete the thread.)
* This is one of the reasons I think people (who don't live there) are wrong when they say that Brooklyn doesn't have a culture. It does -- "new" Brownstone and Hipster Brooklyn, anyway. And Hooters just isn't it.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#11 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,044 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:25 PM

No, I think it's pure cultural horror. One of the reason you move into neighborhoods like Park Slope, or mine next door (or Brownstone Brooklyn as a whole*) (or towns like Montclair, for that matter), is the assumption that businesses like that could never open there. The liberal consensus is too strong. We may be closed-minded, but there we are.

I don't buy the "good wages"/putting people through college excuse. I'm sure the same is true of many strip clubs. And if a restaurant chain paid minorities good wages to dress up as liveried house slaves, I think many would still have a problem with it.

(If anyone thinks this is getting too political, let me know and I'll delete the thread.)
* This is one of the reasons I think people (who don't live there) are wrong when they say that Brooklyn doesn't have a culture. It does -- "new" Brownstone and Hipster Brooklyn, anyway. And Hooters just isn't it.

So who patronizes the Hooters if it's not of the culture? Tourists? Maybe it won't succeed.

Big Freedia

#12 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,456 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:27 PM

It's opening for the new basketball arena (if they can find someone who'll rent to them).

(Which is one of the reasons just about everyone in the surrounding neighborhoods opposed the arena.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#13 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,444 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

Also it brings extra women to the neighborhood for husbands to cheat with. Isn't it bad enough that you have to be wary of the babysitter and local coffee house wenches with your stay at home husband

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#14 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,456 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:35 PM

You don't have to worry about the wenches at Leaf & Bean at least.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#15 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,444 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:37 PM

You don't have to worry about the wenches at Leaf & Bean at least.

Small comfort, that

~Jack Handey