539 replies to this topic

#16 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,577 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

So who patronizes the Hooters if it's not of the culture? Tourists? Maybe it won't succeed.

That's really what pisses me off so much about that article.

The writer is like, I want to come to your neighborhood for basketball games, and then I want to have a Hooters to go to in your neighborhood afterwards. Like fuck you, you know. Go to some other neighborhood for Hooters.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#17 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,577 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:05 PM

Don't think I can't see the humor in this, though.

Somebody tried to open a huge dance club in Park Slope nearish to the arena. Local opposition made them change their plan to a wood-lined farm-to-table restaurant.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#18 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,588 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:05 PM

So who patronizes the Hooters if it's not of the culture? Tourists? Maybe it won't succeed.

That's really what pisses me off so much about that article.

The writer is like, I want to come to your neighborhood for basketball games, and then I want to have a Hooters to go to in your neighborhood afterwards. Like fuck you, you know. Go to some other neighborhood for Hooters.

You probably hate Walmart too

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#19 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,577 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:06 PM

I want Artisinal Wal-Mart.

(If Wal-Mart wants to bribe me to obtain my support for a store in my neighborhood, I'm open to negotiations.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#20 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:14 PM

You expected high culture near a basketball arena?
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#21 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,916 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

I want Artisinal Wal-Mart.

(If Wal-Mart wants to bribe me to obtain my support for a store in my neighborhood, I'm open to negotiations.)

In a "little box" store. None of those evil big box stores.

How much additional property do Ratner and Forest City properties own in the area, and how do they plan to develop that additional space?

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#22 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,577 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:17 PM

THE BASKETBALL ARENA WAS FORCED ON US. WE DIDN'T WANT IT.

Outsiders can't now tell us that once the arena is there, we just have to give into trash or move.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#23 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,588 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

I pity the fools who paid $1k a square foot at one Hanson. First, a flea market in their lobby, now this.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#24 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,577 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:19 PM

How much additional property do Ratner and Forest City properties own in the area, and how do they plan to develop that additional space?

They have the entirety of the air rights over the LIRR train yard -- about five blocks.

They plan to fill them with enormous mixed-use office and residential towers (also fiercely but ineffectually opposed by the neighborhood). The residential towers were originally supposed to have significant middle-income holdbacks -- but it was recently announced that was eliminated.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#25 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,577 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

I pity the fools who paid $1k a square foot at one Hanson. First, a flea market in their lobby, now this.

Maybe they can put the Hooters into the lobby.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#26 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,577 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

Actually, the arena is two blocks from BAM, the Mark Morris Dance Company building, and the new Theater for a New Audience space. And one of the sops to the neighborhood that may or may not end up actually happening was that BAM would program at the arena.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#27 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,367 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:34 PM

Outsiders can't now tell us that once the arena is there, we just have to give into trash or move.

You want wings with that?

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#28 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,312 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:41 PM

You seem to be awfully negative about Hooters, Sneak. It has never done West 56th Street any harm.

#29 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,916 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:10 PM

They have the entirety of the air rights over the LIRR train yard -- about five blocks.

They plan to fill them with enormous mixed-use office and residential towers (also fiercely but ineffectually opposed by the neighborhood). The residential towers were originally supposed to have significant middle-income holdbacks -- but it was recently announced that was eliminated.

So, more rich folks will be moving into the area. That seems like a good thing for creating more restaurants, art facilities, Starbucks, etc. Raises property values, etc. Batali and Bastianich will be looking for space, etc

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#30 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:16 PM

May be, but now that it's there, you have to expect that the surrounding businesses are going to be typical of a sports venue.

Also, +1 to Wilfrid's point: Hooters hasn't ruined W. 56th Street.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal