545 replies to this topic

#106 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:09 PM

Since we're talking about New York City, isn't "low density compared to Manhattan" enough?

(I thought Brookline was a suburb, BTW.)

I think Brookline is less a suburb a/c the way the Boston MTA is laid out.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#107 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,204 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:13 PM

Since we're talking about New York City, isn't "low density compared to Manhattan" enough?

I think Brookline is less a suburb a/c the way the Boston MTA is laid out.

same goes for newton

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#108 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,594 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:20 PM

Only administratively (like Westmount in Montreal). It's on the green line and is a short walk to downtown (the last fifteen minutes of the Marathon or so pass through Brookline). It's closer to downtown than other parts of the city like Alston/Brighton. Cambridge works here as well.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#109 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,664 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:24 PM

Oh come on. NOBODY doesn't think of Newton as a suburb.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#110 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,594 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:35 PM

Oh come on. NOBODY doesn't think of Newton as a suburb.

Newton is a suburb! I always thought of BC as kind of the border. Washington Sq and Coolidge Corner are definitely not "suburbs".

#111 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,664 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:37 PM

When I used to live off Washington Sq., I didn't think of where I lived as very suburban. But I definitely thought of the area up Cypress St., say, as suburban.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#112 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,594 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:48 PM

When I used to live off Washington Sq., I didn't think of where I lived as very suburban. But I definitely thought of the area up Cypress St., say, as suburban.

Cypress and Washington is a half-hour walk from Roxbury Crossing! You, with your slanted Broolyn perspective - Brookline is closer to Downtown Boston than Park Slope is to downtown Manhattan and more densely populated than a downtown Toronto neighbourhood like the Annex (see Pilgrim, Scott)!

ETA: also a similar population density to Georgetown.

#113 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,664 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:00 PM

And is anybody going to try to put a Hooters there?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#114 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,594 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

Imagine a Hooters in Washington Sq!

#115 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:18 PM

We have a whole lot of shite just one block away from W Sq: Subway; McDonalds...
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#116 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,204 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:24 PM

we appreciate our strip gentlemen's club neighbors out here in queens, i think we'd love the more family friendly hooters.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#117 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,664 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:28 PM

We have a whole lot of shite just one block away from W Sq: Subway; McDonalds...

Different Washington Sq. We're talking about the one in Brookline, Mass.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#118 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,664 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:29 PM

QED
Bar Loser

MF Old

#119 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:11 PM

Isn't that kind of discounting where Batali and Bastianich are coming from? They weren't always "Batali and Bastianich" like that. But Po (of yore) was the exact sort of restaurant that Brooklynites love. I never get the sense that people who have moved to Brooklyn are doing it to escape Michelin stars or quality. In many ways it is a more hyped food scene than NY (Robertas has a RADIO STATION for godsake). Sure, there's a resistance to 'big box' even if that box holds Mario or Bastianich, but it isn't as though there aren't Brooklyn chefs who are growing little empires. They'll be the Batali's and Bastianich's of the future and while you might object...plenty of Brooklynites won't.

Of course, I mean Batali & Bastianich today -- not when they were starting out. That's the point.

(I'm sure you know there's even a branch of Po in Brooklyn. Although it's not a place people talk about much.)

I do know about that branch. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not sure what it is about Batali and Bastianich that you're suggesting doesn't exist in Brooklyn today...and if what you're referring to doesn't exist today, there's no question that it will exist in 10 years. While YOU might have moved to Brooklyn to avoid that, I doubt that's true for most of the people moving to Brooklyn today...

#120 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:34 PM

I actually think it would be quite difficult to put a Hooters in Washington Sq, NYC. There's a big difference in most people's mind btw Subway and Hooters. And Greenwich Village is perfectly capable of throwing a fit.