54 replies to this topic

#16 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,143 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:55 PM

The suit doesn't seek money damages, merely asks that Southwest do a better job of informing large folks of the extra seat requirement when they actually reserve the seat.

Again (I find this discussion pretty hysterical), how did this passenger imagine that she could fit in the seat?

Fitting into the seat is only half the problem. Even if she managed to wedge herself in when the plane arrived at its destination they'd need the jaws of life to get her out.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"Sorry about your cookie." - Steve R.'s response to Jim Leff's epic rant.

#17 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,328 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

(snip)

"People of size"? Is that really a term people use?

Not real people, but the HR people use it, along with "people of color" and various other terms.

Southwest Airlines uses the term "Customers of Size" to describe supersized folks:

Woman sues Southwest

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#18 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,770 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:12 PM

i don't find it difficult to believe that there may be significant public humiliation involved in this. people may be obese but not know whether they will fit into an airline seat. to have someone eyeball them in public and tell them that they're too large and have to pay for an extra seat (which they may not be in a position to do, but now they're at the airport ready to start a trip) can indeed be unpleasant. what's the downside to drawing people's attention to it at the time of purchase?

(and why don't airlines do something for/about over-tall freaks like stone who get in everyone's way and stick their legs into the row in front of them? and people like beanboy with crippling halitosis?)

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current post: indian home cooking 1: rajma (red beans)

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#19 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,143 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

(snip)

Not real people, but the HR people use it, along with "people of color" and various other terms.

Southwest Airlines uses the term "Customers of Size" to describe supersized folks:

How about Jumbo Jetsetters?

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"Sorry about your cookie." - Steve R.'s response to Jim Leff's epic rant.

#20 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,129 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

I once took a puddle-jumper from New York to Vermont, and they weighed everyone on a cargo scale before they let them onto the plane.

THAT was humiliating. (I made it on.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#21 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,330 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:46 PM

Everyone should be required, by law, to wear a tag which prominently displays their weight and measurements

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#22 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

(snip)

It's really people of girth.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#23 cstuart

cstuart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:50 PM

i don't find it difficult to believe that there may be significant public humiliation involved in this. people may be obese but not know whether they will fit into an airline seat. to have someone eyeball them in public and tell them that they're too large and have to pay for an extra seat (which they may not be in a position to do, but now they're at the airport ready to start a trip) can indeed be unpleasant. what's the downside to drawing people's attention to it at the time of purchase?

(and why don't airlines do something for/about over-tall freaks like stone who get in everyone's way and stick their legs into the row in front of them? and people like beanboy with crippling halitosis?)

I understand that it might be uncomfortable, but then don't be obese and flying as if it doesn't inconvenience the people sitting next to you. Southwest's rule came about not because the CEO hates fat people. And I can't imagine moving the decision to point of purchase as people could just not say they're obese and then what?

#24 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,328 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:22 PM

Everyone should be required, by law, to wear a tag which prominently displays their weight and measurements

that could crimp their Facebook profiles and JDate, eHarmony, etc

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#25 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,129 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:53 PM

Most fat people are in denial about how fat they are.

I certainly am.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#26 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:06 PM

I'm not. I'm chubby, and I have a high percentage of body fat. I can still fit in an airplane seat without my neighbour being forced to touch my rolls, but on a teeny propeller plane, I was once asked to switch seats with someone who appeared lighter than I (there were other people on my side who were larger than I). It happens. I'm not embarrassed by my chubbiness. It's my own fault, after all.

(If I were obese, I might feel differently, but alas, I am merely chubby. )

#27 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,330 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:14 PM

that could crimp their Facebook profiles and JDate, eHarmony, etc

i believe in truth in advertising.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#28 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:46 PM

I think if airlines just put the seat dimensions on their reservation page, that would take care of it. You measure your ass across, sitting down and that's the end of it.
[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.

#29 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,330 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:51 PM

sadly, more than just people's asses hang over the seat dividers.

~Jack Handey

#30 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:52 AM

I once took a puddle-jumper from New York to Vermont, and they weighed everyone on a cargo scale before they let them onto the plane.

THAT was humiliating. (I made it on.)

We took a flight from La Guardia to Maine once. The very skinny female flight attendant had to walk sidewise holding her tummy in to walk down the aisle.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid