No replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,611 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

The Wall Street Journal has an article about the kitchen designed by David Chang's drinks master. The son of an electrical engineer, Dave Arnold is a tinkerer. He must have about 10,000 amps of electrical service and a two inch gas pipe, given what he describes:

A Blodgett stove, tuned to produce 40,000 BTU, good for cooking five chickens at a time
A 90,000 BTU fryer
A 30,000 BTU crepe maker

A six foot sink with sliding cutting boards and foot pedals to control the water inflow and drains. Useful for cleaning large fish

In the future, the circulator is going to be a lot more prevalent in home kitchens. The issue is that we're not used to having big troughs of water sitting about, but eventually maybe it'll be built into sinks or cabinetry so it can be easily stored and drained.

In my fridge, I always have lots of eggs. I go through boatloads of them. I have Bubbies sauerkraut, which is a great brand, if you're keeping track. Also a can of Surströmming, this crazy Swedish fermented fish. We snack on wine while we are cooking.

Even though I'm inherently a disorganized person, my kitchen used to be organized and my knives sharp. Now—because of the kids, the babysitter, my schedule—I don't know where anything is.

I detest nested things that aren't identical. I only want like-size things stacked on top of like-size things. There are different-size glass bowls in the cabinet that I never use because they are nested.

My seltzer maker was one of the first things I built in this space. I used to use a mix of carbon dioxide and nitrous oxide to carbonate—nitrous makes creamier tasting bubbles—but my main nitrous tank ran out so now I just use carbon dioxide. I used to have a keg too, but since Dax was born, I haven't had time to home brew. That was seven years ago. (snip)

I use my Krampouz French crêpe maker for pancakes, which we make two times a week. I got it at a restaurant supply store outside of Paris. That trip, Jen was sick, I was sick, we lost our wallets, it was a total nightmare—but I did bring my crêpe maker back. The surface gets up to 650 degrees quickly, so you have to put it on the lowest setting for pancakes to cook them through without burning. I like a thicker pancake.

My KitchenAid broke a long time ago because it's poorly designed—a piece of plastic sheared off. When I was fixing it, I accidentally epoxied the cheese grater attachment onto it. I can't get it off. So now I use it as a cheese grater.

If I could have anything else in this kitchen, I'd like a vacuum machine. I just don't have the space.

The biggest problem with my kitchen is power management. I can't run the air conditioner and the coffee machine at the same time.

I installed a six-gallon deep-fryer under the counter. I've been deep-frying a long time, since I was 10. The first thing I ever deep-fried on my own was a beignet.

WSJ

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman