92 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 06:29 PM

Who's been keeping this a secret. I visited this large, indoor market, quite a long time ago, and found almost nothing there. Did I go on an unpromising day? I went in for some last minute holiday shopping and was most impressed. A large, busy butcher, offering among other things what passes for "game" in NYC, including venison and board sausages. A Latino butcher offering even more appealing varieties of offal, almost as good as Arthur Avenue. Several produce stands. Fresh fish.

Why isn't this place talked about? Or will I find the quality poor if I explore more closely?
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#2 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 06:39 PM

THM loves the Essex Street Market, gets his fish there almost exclusively. I can vouch for the thick cut bacon, I received a pound of it on my birthday :D .
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#3 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,367 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 06:44 PM

Why isn't this place talked about? Or will I find the quality poor if I explore more closely?

A mixed bag. I think you can get better fish and meat in Chinatown at about the same prices. One good use I've put that market to is getting a large quantity of limes and lemons for preserves and limoncello (I think it was 20 limes to the $).

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#4 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 07:13 PM

It would be great if this market would make a comeback.I haven't been in a while;there used to be half decent fish and produce there....admittedly my own standards have changed.But I used to go there with both of my grandmothers in the late 1950s and early 60s',and the Essex St. market was a crowded,vibrant place.Live chickens,candy,picklesyou name it....It declined as the population of the lower east side changed,and the current gentrifiers seem to prefer eating out,...but a bunch of small food businesses making a go of it would be a wonderful thing.I'm not holding my breath...
G*d is in the details...

#5 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 08:17 PM

I went again. Again, it was quite busy and lively. This time I noticed what seemed to ignroant-old-me a considerable depth in ingredients for Mexican cooking. Abby, have you used it as a source? And how does one cook cactus, anyway?

I bought some nice corn tortillas. There really is a lot of offal here, so it's a nice place just to hang out. :rolleyes:
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#6 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 09:59 PM

This time I noticed what seemed to ignroant-old-me a considerable depth in ingredients for Mexican cooking. Abby, have you used it as a source?

No, this is news to me. Looks like I have many reasons to pay the Essex Market a visit.

#7 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 10:01 PM

Isn't that where THM buys that bacon, too?
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#8 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 10:15 PM

See my post above :rolleyes:

#9 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 10:17 PM

Does he buy it from Jeffrey's or from the Latino butcher? Jeffrey's selection might be interesting, but I am always driven away by the owner trying to sell me filet mignon or venison. Most annoying.
Elect-a-lujah

#10 guajolote

guajolote

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 01:56 AM

And how does one cook cactus, anyway?

cut it up (thorns should be removed) and boil for about 10 minutes. they have an okra-like slime that needs to be rinsed off after cooking.

#11 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 04:17 PM

Went on Saturday -- a really nice shopping experience AND everything is very gently priced. Got pork shoulder, bacon and smoked ham hocks from Jeffrey's (yes this is THM's bacon source). Jeffrey is quite charming.

Also got lots of produce: avocados (79 cents each!), cilantro, lemons, dried beans, and dried cod. If I lived in the area, I'd go all the time.

#12 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 04:20 PM

Interesting. Jeffrey was the only thing I didn't like. He always drives me to the nearby Latino meat stall with his cries of "filet mignon" and "venison medallions". :rolleyes:
Elect-a-lujah

#13 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 04:22 PM

Maybe he sees Abby as a different kind of customer :rolleyes:

v
...it actually comes down to what thrills you - Hugh Johnson

authenticity is a fog that recedes just when you think you may be getting near it - R Schonfeld

The most political act we do on a daily basis is to eat - Prof J Pretty

this city without boundaries we all share - zigzackly

#14 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 09:51 PM

Interesting. Jeffrey was the only thing I didn't like. He always drives me to the nearby Latino meat stall with his cries of "filet mignon" and "venison medallions". :rolleyes:

Ignore, ignore. Once you become a regular he'll greet you with cries of "blood sausage, tripe, liver"!

#15 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:51 PM

Formaggio Kitchen opens an outpost in Essex Market.

Oh this is a major score!