939 replies to this topic

#31 Vital Information

Vital Information

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 02:56 AM

How about the Mariott on North Sedgwick between Willow and Eugenie?  Or the Hyatt at McCormick Place?

There's a Marriott on North Sedgwick? That's new to me. Sedwick is mostly a residential street but for the sem-famous (or notorious) rib joint, Twin Anchors.

McCormick Place is pretty far away and pretty inconvinient unless you have a rental car.

Like I say, I would think any of the Michigan Avenue type hotels (including Marriott, Four Seasons, Ritz, Penisula, Omni (two), Drake, etc.) would fit the bill. Just take the El.

Rob
Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie

Just as long as you leave my "Alinea II: Electric Boogaloo" thing alone. - jinmyo

The Local Beet

#32 Caseophile

Caseophile

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 06:48 AM

There's a Marriott on North Sedgwick?  That's new to me.

Yeah, I think I was wrong about that. I'm just an uninformed internet crawler, not a real Chicagoan. mapquest.com thinks there is a Marriott there, but marriott.com doesn't, and I'm inclined to believe the latter.

I believe I'll take your advice and stay in a Michigan-Avenue-Type hotel, and take a taxi. It's a relatively small price to add to what will already be an expensive food pilgrimage.

#33 cabrales

cabrales

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 06:18 PM

Lunch at North Pond
After-lunch snack at Joe's Stone Crab

Rest in hotel

Drinks at Hancock Tower Signature Lounge, Grand Marnier Cuvee de Centenaire, etc.
Dinner at Alinea

#34 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 06:50 PM

Here's my plan for the Saturday when I will be dining at Alinea:

Lunch at North Pond
After-lunch snack at Joe's Stone Crab

Rest in hotel

Drinks at Hancock Tower Signature Lounge, Grand Marnier Cuvee de Centenaire, etc.
Dinner at Alinea

I had an enjoyable meal at North Pond a couple months ago. Also, they have '96 Dujac Morey St Denis on the winelist, which is drinking beautifully at the moment.
Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#35 cabrales

cabrales

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 06:54 PM

I'm going very light on the wine during lunch, maybe ordering by the glass. I want to be sure to be in form for dinner.

I'm considering flying in mid-afternoon, so that I don't have to wake up too early to get to the airport.

#36 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 07:58 PM

I heard Steve P. has a reservation at Alinea.

#37 cabrales

cabrales

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 08:40 PM

And it's not a question of who will write it up the earliest; it's a question of who will be writing with greatest insight, should they choose to write. :( But writing is a function of many factors -- time available, inclination, impressions on the meal, etc.

#38 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 12:11 AM

I heard Steve P. has a reservation at Alinea.

How nice for him.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#39 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 12:18 AM

And it's not a question of who will write it up the earliest; it's a question of who will be writing with greatest insight, should they choose to write. :(

How lovely.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#40 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 05:35 AM

Most people on boards who want early reservations at Alinea have reservations, I assume.  :( 

And it's not a question of who will write it up the earliest; it's a question of who will be writing with greatest insight, should they choose to write.  :(  But writing is a function of many factors -- time available, inclination, impressions on the meal, etc.

Cabby, I don't think Steve cares who writes it up first or who wrote about it the best. He's just happy he has a hard to get reservation. You have to assume that the restaurant must believe he will write about it with great insight or why else would they give him a reservation during the first week they are open? I heard they have a list of more than 300 people who are trying to get reservations.

#41 cabrales

cabrales

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 01:12 PM

Cabby, I don't think Steve cares who writes it up first or who wrote about it the best. He's just happy he has a hard to get reservation. You have to assume that the restaurant must believe he will write about it with great insight or why else would they give him a reservation during the first week they are open?

Leslie -- This is a somewhat strange discussion involving your purporting to know what any other diner has a reservation for or not, or what they feel, no?

The restaurant could have given a diner a reservation because they called earlier or e-mailed earlier to place themselves on the list. :(

Just because I'm indicating early isn't better doesn't mean I wouldn't end up having the chance to go early :( ... And just because I'm indicating more insight is better doesn't mean I believe I would be the more insightful :( I guess your prior post may reveal certain assumptions you make regarding who will write about it "best", though. :( :( :(

#42 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,235 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 02:43 PM

Can we rename this thread “cabrales' Alinea Blog”?

#43 Chef/Writer Spencer

Chef/Writer Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 02:45 PM

Don't you go to a restaurant to enjoy the food? What's all this 'I'll get the most insightful writeup' business. Sounds like a competition or something. Do you exist to write up restaurant reviews? Why not shift gears and go for pleasure (unless there's cash involved, of course).
I love eGullet. I love eGullet. eGullet loves me.

#44 ranitidine

ranitidine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,727 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 03:02 PM

Can we rename this thread “cabrales' Alinea Blog”?

You started the English language thread and you don't understand the use of the apostrophe?
"Say not the struggle nought availeth...."
Arthur Hugh Clough, 1819-1861

Arise ye prisoners of starvation
Arise ye wretched of the earth

#45 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 03:06 PM

The apostrophe is correct in GG's post.

Cabrales' Alinea Blog

As in, the Alinea Blog of Cabrales.