27 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 07:57 PM

I saw some history of this Harlem restaurant - way over on the East Side, almost at the Macombs Bridge. Been in the same family some seventy years, and used to attract the odd celebrity. Looks like an unhyped Rao's. Anyone had any experience with it?
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#2 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 08:06 PM

I saw some history of this Harlem restaurant - way over on the East Side, almost at the Macombs Bridge. Been in the same family some seventy years, and used to attract the odd celebrity. Looks like an unhyped Raoul's. Anyone had any experience with it?

Do you mean Rao's?

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#3 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 08:15 PM

Sorry. Amended.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#4 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 05:08 PM

Found an entry in the 2004 Time Out guide (presumably it's in this year too). Wood-panelled dining room, waiters in red jackets with bow-ties, traditional dishes but also some modern-sounding ones. Might be worth a venture, for historical interest.

Omni, you're nearest: off you go. :rolleyes:
Elect-a-lujah

#5 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 05:12 PM

I could probably convince Eyebrows to do this one. Hmm.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#6 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 05:15 PM

It's not the most convenient location. 155th on the D, or go to Yankee Stadium and walk back across the bridge. Nothing else in the neighborhood that I can find. Nearest bar I've heard of (St Nick's) is half a mile away.

Quite fascinating. Might be "unspoilt" - which could be a good or a bad thing. I think it gets some post-Yankee-game business.
Elect-a-lujah

#7 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 05:24 PM

Found an entry in the 2004 Time Out guide (presumably it's in this year too). 

Indeed, it is. Does the 2004 say this about the menu?

... mixes dishes like smoked duck breast and hoisin sauce with old-school favorites such as an antipasto plate of prosciutto and bresaola or veal medallions zingarella, which are buried under sauteed plum tomatoes, peppers and garlic cloves.

Btw, acc. to the entry, the founder named the restaurant after a racehorse that never won.

#8 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 05:25 PM

It's not the most convenient location. 155th on the D, or go to Yankee Stadium and walk back across the bridge. Nothing else in the neighborhood that I can find. Nearest bar I've heard of (St Nick's) is half a mile away.

There's this new invention. It's called a car I think.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#9 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 05:28 PM

http://www.villagevo...il.php3?id=2522

If you google "Flash Inn" (with the quotation marks), plenty of stuff comes up.

#10 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 06:44 PM

Yes, sounds like the same TONY entry for both years. Omni, thanks for the offer of a lift. :rolleyes:
Elect-a-lujah

#11 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 05:32 AM

Okay, so we ended up at Flash Inn tonight, after a day of major wandering through the Bronx. More on the crawl later.

We loved Flash Inn. Open since 1937. A major time warp. I'll post details, but let's just say this for now: our waiter, whose nickname is "Champion," has worked there for 23 years.

We were served, along with our plate of salumi, a complete round of some of the best mozzarella di buffala I've ever had. "The Boss" told me that it's made in Battipaglia, a place in Italy I had never heard of.

More later.

#12 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 05:37 AM

Just looked some stuff up. Battipaglia is near Caserta, which I knew to be "the" place for mozzarella di buffala. Apparently both of these places are known for this. Dominic DeMarco gets his from Caserta (which is where he grew up, by the way). Not far from Napoli.

#13 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 02:50 PM

Oh, well done. I'll hurry up there as soon as I can. You never know when a place like this will turn into a Chinese takeaway or a branch of Sephora. :rolleyes:
Elect-a-lujah

#14 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 03:54 PM

The place is seriously dingy. There were a couple of tables of regular who obviously love it and know everybody. They had a few very expensive bottles on the list - Sassicaia, fine champagnes, etc. The owner sent us over glasses of B&B with our coffees.

This is the kind of place you really should go in a car.

#15 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 04:01 PM

This is the kind of place you really should go in a car.

Any reason?
Elect-a-lujah