510 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 09:16 PM

As Fantasty said elsewhere, it is Friday afternoon…so let's try this and see if it works. I have a new game with very strict rules. "Best…": this means not somewhere which is okay, or which you quite like, or where you happen to have visited. For present purposes, "Best…" means that you have some familiarity with what is available in the neighborhood, and this would be your number one recommendation. Not looking for long lists, only what you really think is the best. Geographical rules strictly apply, and in this case, it's the area bordered by E.14th Street from Third Avenue, east until you hit the water; E. Houston similarly, as far as it goes; and Third Avenue from 14th Street until it runs into the Bowery, then the Bowery down to E. Houston. If you have to cross South of Houston for a decent asopao, then it doesn't belong here, even if it's only a minute away.

Categories are more flexible, but let's start with best medium-scale mainstream restaurants (including bistros/brasseries) best restaurants in any applicable "ethnic" category (Chinese, Thai, Mexican, whatever's there), best traditional diners, best pubs, best bars/lounges, best wine/liquor merchants, best sandwiches, best pizza, best burger, best street food, best vegetarian/vegan/organic, best food shopping (best food markets, if any) and any other important food tips. Note: not looking for best destination restaurants (by which I mean anywhere you need to book weeks ahead; use your judgment, but as a guideline I'm not looking for Times three and four star restaurants). If there's nothing much good in any category for this area, forget about it. Only looking for things you'd actually recommend someone who likes eating and drinking to go and do.

And you don't have to post all your thoughts at once, you can post things as they occur to you.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#2 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 09:20 PM

But why that particular location? :rolleyes:
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#3 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 09:20 PM

How about if it's a dish at a place more than the whole place?

Ooooh gimme a chance to get to Una Pizza Nepoletana.

(and she whispers.....Hearth...)
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#4 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 09:21 PM

For example. Best pub (for beer and liquor selection), dba. Best cocktail bar, Angel's Share.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#5 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 09:24 PM

1. Location? Could do Ozone Park, I suppose. Plenty there, and lots of members know the neighborhood. It's a good "guinea pig".

2. Yes, recommendations of a specific dish are a great idea. And, as in my example, you can quality the categories. The geographical limits are strict, do anything you like with the categories. I was just indicating the scope of what I was looking for.

3. We love Hearth, apparently, but that's right on the borderline of medium-scale and destination. As is Jewel Bako. Doesn't matter, mention away. If Per Se was in the EV, it definitely wouldn't be appropriate.
Elect-a-lujah

#6 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 09:24 PM

Well what would you call Hearth. I mean, what category? Best overall restaurant? Best upscale restaurant?
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#7 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 09:25 PM

Best Cubano: Spanish American Food on 13th.

#8 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 09:26 PM

Best upscale restaurant?

This is important. Definitely NOT looking for upscale/destination restaurants. They are excluded from this particular game. I just don't want to get bogged down in whether Hearth is upscale or medium; consider it mentioned. A Per Se type restaurant would definitely be excluded, but let's not worry about the grey area, like Hearth and Jewel Bako.
Elect-a-lujah

#9 fantasty

fantasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 09:27 PM

North or south side of Houston? If south side is included, then Katz's belongs on the list for Best Hot Dog and Best Pastrami. 2nd Ave Deli can have the crown for Best Corned Beef.
"My hogs were so lean you had to put lard in the pan just to cook your bacon" - Papa Wilson, 1918 - 2007

#10 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 09:28 PM

Best bar food: Japanese small plates at Forbidden City on Avenue A.
Elect-a-lujah

#11 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,099 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 09:28 PM

What a timely thread. :rolleyes:

Best Chinese - are there contenders to Grand Sichuan?
Best Ethiopian (not that it's noticeably better or worse than others in the city) - Awash
Best Indian - Angon on a good day. I think none of the others can be described as good.
Best Takoyaki - Otafuku
I never said that

#12 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 09:29 PM

North or south side of Houston? If south side is included, then Katz's belongs on the list for Best Hot Dog and Best Pastrami. 2nd Ave Deli can have the crown for Best Corned Beef.

A good point. Best exclude the side of each boundary street most distant from the area: so exclude south side of Houston, west side of Third, and so on.

Ta.
Elect-a-lujah

#13 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 09:30 PM

Best upscale restaurant: Hearth (or what else would you call it?)

#14 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 09:30 PM

Best Ethiopian (not that it's noticeably better or worse than others in the city) - Awash

There's an Awash in the EV? I have a 106th and Amsterdam address (see, this is useful already).

Actually, there's another important point here. If there isn't a really good Ethiopian (or Thai or Chinese) restaurant in the neighborhood, no need to fill in that category. Only looking for places you might actually recommend to someone. A Salt & Battery must have the best English-style fish and chips, but it's not very good, so I wouldn't mention it (again :rolleyes: ).
Elect-a-lujah

#15 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,099 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 09:31 PM

Yes, on 6th between 1st and 2nd
I never said that