20286 replies to this topic

#1 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 04:10 PM

As someone recently pointed out, I am very much a "glass half empty" kind of guy.

That being said, occasionally there is a beam of joy in the misery that is my life.

Today,it was coming home and seeing my mum, bruised and worn by her recent troubles, but hanging on in there like the tough old bird that she is

Nothing could give me greater pleasure than seeing her at the window of our family home waving to me as we pulled into the driveway

So what made your day today?

#2 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 04:25 PM

The custom made leather trousers that my wonderful boyfriend is having made for me for my birthday are ready for my first fitting!
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#3 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 04:47 PM

My accountant tells me I owe the tax man only half what I expected. Champagne :) .
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#4 Basildog

Basildog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 04:51 PM

Becky is now calling me Daddy instead of Dada. :wub:

#5 cabrales

cabrales

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 04:55 PM

In this order, for today:

Photos I loaded onto Ofoto of my family, and shared with them through a e-mail :lol: One family member in particular is very cute, and resembles me when I was young, with very pudgy cheeks :lol:

Thoughts about a possible sashimi sampler at Bar Masa tonight (I'm refusing on reasons of principle to pay $300+/person for raw fish, with all respect to Japanese cuisine, in any setting), or, more likely given my lethargic state, 1/2 bottle of Krug for myself tonight instead. I have a bottle of milliesime Schramsberg Rose open, but it just wouldn't do

A book I bought recently second hand called Vins de Reve, in French, by Nicholas de Rabaudy, on the history of various French Chateaux. It contains 2 pages on Haut-Brion, which has always been my favorite wine :wub:, but which I've been a bit more focused on of late.

Thoughts of choosing a wine refridgerator, and then placing some of the bottles of Haut-Brion I've been buying (not that many :lol: ) in it

#6 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 05:07 PM

It's Friday.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#7 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 05:20 PM

A moderator writes: oops, I accidentally wrote over g.j's message, and it was so jolly too. I shouldn't be allowed near these controls.

Apologies. Feel free to repeat.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#8 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,842 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 05:23 PM

My accountant tells me I owe the tax man only half what I expected. Champagne :) .

The tax manís taken all my dough,
And left me in my stately home,
Lazing on a sunny afternoon.
And I canít sail my yacht,
Heís taken everything Iíve got,
All Iíve gotís this sunny afternoon

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#9 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 05:48 PM

Hanging out yesterday with Master Jack Hughes, my favorite two-legged boy. :wub:

My favorite four-legged boy jumped onto the bed to cuddle at 3:30 AM, and I noticed that he was more, uh, fragrant than is desirable in a bed-sharing feline. (He has a sensitive stomach, and a very furry backside...you get the idea.) After a cleanup session, which he hates but tolerates, he jumped back into bed and cuddled. He still loves me.
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#10 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 06:09 PM

Cath, whatcha feedin' him?
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#11 Priscilla

Priscilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 06:27 PM

Yesterday, and then again this a.m, I received an e-mail message from Free Camera with the agreeably pithy subject line, "Win a Free Digital Camera."

Polite enough, I think, even for my delicate sensibilities.

#12 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 06:46 PM

Being mistaken for an expert on Penfolds Grange and Opus One. What an honour :rolleyes: :blink:

v
...it actually comes down to what thrills you - Hugh Johnson

authenticity is a fog that recedes just when you think you may be getting near it - R Schonfeld

The most political act we do on a daily basis is to eat - Prof J Pretty

this city without boundaries we all share - zigzackly

#13 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,354 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 06:47 PM

Fresh Ramps
Bull's Blood salad
Lovage
Field Mache
Dandelion Greens
Salad Burnett

Well...it made me smile a little. :)
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#14 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 06:53 PM

Cath, whatcha feedin' him?

We've gone through several dry foods (I gave up on canned) - at the moment it's Eagle hairball formula, and I'm planning a gradual transition to Royal Canin Sensitive Stomach since both kitties much prefer it. Mackie has been doing really well lately; last night was the first time I've had to call him Mr. Stinky Butt in a while.

His breeder says Mack's dad has the same tendency and the Royal Canin is the best she's found for him.
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#15 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,021 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 07:37 PM

My e-mail is working again. I'd like to take the credit, but I have no idea what I did.