19/20

#2 macrosan

macrosan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 10:00 PM

To make any sense of these guidebooks, I'd need to see the rationale behind their awards. The only guide I ever used at length was the original Egon Ronay, and over time I came to understand their foundations and thereby reach accurate conclusions about which restaurants in their gradings I would enjoy.

I note that I have been to only three of Gault-Millau's top 10, although I'm going to a fourth later this week. Of the other six, my recollection is that two have been slated here and on other sites, one has had mixed reviews, and one has been rated as pretty good.

On the basis of one visit to Fat Duck a couple of years ago, and three visits to Ramsay RHR last year, I wouldn't argue with their rating of Fat Duck, but I would entirely disagree with RHR being in the top ten at all.

Unless, of course, they are rating restaurants on parameters quite different from those that interest me.

#3 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 10:06 PM

2005 GFG rates RHR as 10/10 :lol: Not that I have a view, not having been there.

(One of my NY resolutions was to stop going to restaurants. Into February and I haven't even been tempted to break it yet.)

v
...it actually comes down to what thrills you - Hugh Johnson

authenticity is a fog that recedes just when you think you may be getting near it - R Schonfeld

The most political act we do on a daily basis is to eat - Prof J Pretty

this city without boundaries we all share - zigzackly

#4 macrosan

macrosan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 10:37 PM

(One of my NY resolutions was to stop going to restaurants. Into February and I haven't even been tempted to break it yet.)

I haven't been to a restaurant in February either, and that's even without making a resolution.

#5 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 10:40 PM

(One of my NY resolutions was to stop going to restaurants.  Into February and I haven't even been tempted to break it yet.)

I haven't been to a restaurant in February either, and that's even without making a resolution.

Hmph :lol:

v

p.s. How do you think Ore is feeling so far?

authenticity is a fog that recedes just when you think you may be getting near it - R Schonfeld

#6 macrosan

macrosan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 10:44 PM

I'm going straight over there to find out. I wonder if he has an internet connection in his toilet :lol:

#7 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 10:53 PM

He's gone offline, I note. In Parma of course :lol:

Anyway, back on topic, I thought you might have a view on the GFG's rating of 10/10?

v

#8 cabrales

cabrales

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 10:55 PM

(One of my NY resolutions was to stop going to restaurants.  Into February and I haven't even been tempted to break it yet.)

v

To clarify, do you mean you have not been to a single restaurant since December 31, 2004? :lol: You have been cooking or eating take-out since then, for every meal?

#9 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 11:02 PM

Cooked every meal. Perhaps one single take-out since then but I'm not sure. I'm not counting the odd sandwich or whatever bought at lunch when I haven't brought something in from home. Or meals as guest at someone else's house.

I don't think you'll find me unique in this hereabouts, Cabrales.

v

#10 macrosan

macrosan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 11:07 PM

Anyway, back on topic, I thought you might have a view on the GFG's rating of 10/10?

It would suggest to me one of the following :
  • They haven't had an inspector there in a long time
  • They advised Ramsay in advance they were coming, and he turned up
  • Ramsay is done with TV and he's back at RHR permanently
  • They fired the chef de cuisine they had on duty last time I was there and found someone good
  • Those objects I see up in the clouds are pigs

#11 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,717 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 12:52 AM

i'd like to hear from sideshow mel. i mean lml.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary (current review: highland park 12)

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#12 Kikujiro

Kikujiro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 09:21 AM

The restaurant in the hotel where was skiing over the weekend got 19 in GM, making it better than all but one rests in the UK :lol:
Same shit, different login. [-- Omni]

#13 LML

LML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 10:20 AM

i'd like to hear from sideshow mel. i mean lml.

You're so witty.

To be objective about the value of this, one might ask, a) why Gault Millau situates Bray in London and b) if Bray is in London then why haven't they evaluated the Waterside Inn?

In the end I put the success of the Fat Duck down to a country getting the restaurants it deserves.
A dress is neither a tragedy nor a painting it is a charming and ephemeral creation, not an everlasting work of art. Fashion should die and die quickly in order that commerce may survive.

Food or frock?

#14 Ms J

Ms J

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 10:24 AM

Just to clarify, your lordship; it's the UK's fault that Gault Millau overrates Fat Duck?
Thieves, arsonists and deserters.

#15 LML

LML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 10:37 AM

Just to clarify, your lordship; it's the UK's fault that Gault Millau overrates Fat Duck?

I don't believe the guides any longer make the market in the UK. I believe that to a very large degree they merely reward conspicuous success. This success is measured in press coverage, which in turn is manufactured by skillful PR. Publishers then harness this interest to sell more guides.

So yes, for allowing themselves to be led on these things to an insufferable degree the UK (or its relevant citizenry) is responsible for this.
A dress is neither a tragedy nor a painting it is a charming and ephemeral creation, not an everlasting work of art. Fashion should die and die quickly in order that commerce may survive.

Food or frock?