#151 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:55 AM

QUOTE(Carolyn Tillie @ Sep 11 2009, 07:46 PM) View Post
I'm still on the fence whether I should go there in a few weeks.

I wouldn't eat there if it's within a 24-74 period of your flight when you might be strapped into your airline seat without easy access to a loo.
eta: But then again it appears the whole restaurant has been bleached clean.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#152 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:00 AM

QUOTE(LML @ Sep 11 2009, 05:09 PM) View Post
QUOTE(yvonne johnson @ Sep 11 2009, 10:31 PM) View Post
From the Times:
"A spokeswoman for the Fat Duck said: 'We are glad that the report has finally been published and that norovirus has been identified as the cause and not due to any lapse in our strict food preparation processes."

When in the shit, DENY EVERYTHING!

Indeed. What I didn't really get from the report was how many diners reported directly to the FD that they got ill. (Obviously enough did otherwise why employ a private "cleaning company" before the authorities moved in.) The 500+figure is the # of folk who contacted the FD reporting illness, or was that final # identified by the Health Dept?

In any case, it looks like a huge cover-up.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#153 LML

LML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:02 AM

QUOTE(yvonne johnson @ Sep 12 2009, 02:55 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Carolyn Tillie @ Sep 11 2009, 07:46 PM) View Post
I'm still on the fence whether I should go there in a few weeks.

I wouldn't eat there if it's within a 24-74 period of your flight when you might be strapped into your airline seat without easy access to a loo.
eta: But then again it appears the whole restaurant has been bleached clean.

There's no reason to suppose that the risk of eating at the FD is any greater than at any other restaurant. The problem is, and what Blumenthal hubristically failed to acknowledge, is that the risk is no less either. Of course, the sheer arrogance of this incident may in itself induce vomiting.

The moral of this episode is that if by strategic wining and dining and sophistry one achieves exaltation to god-like status, it doesn't actually follow that one has god-like powers over nature. Microbes, unlike food-bloggers, do not have their behaviour moulded by PR stimuli.
A dress is neither a tragedy nor a painting it is a charming and ephemeral creation, not an everlasting work of art. Fashion should die and die quickly in order that commerce may survive.

Food or frock?

#154 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:16 PM

Schadenfreude, nemesis of hubris. laugh.gif
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#155 LML

LML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:23 AM

Fat Duck clients not impressed with Doublespeak:

Victims were further angered last week to receive an email from Mr Blumenthal about the HPA report, which they say seemed to be trying to shift the blame from the restaurant in Bray.
Part of it said: ‘We are glad that the winter flu bug Norovirus has indeed been identified as the cause’.
Mr Rosenthal, who became ill with his wife Chrissie and two friends after dining at the Fat Duck in February said: ‘He has basically attempted to re-write the HPA report and its conclusions in his favour.
'It is pathetic and a complete PR disaster. There isn’t even a hint of apology.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz0RWy6X1Qf

A dress is neither a tragedy nor a painting it is a charming and ephemeral creation, not an everlasting work of art. Fashion should die and die quickly in order that commerce may survive.

Food or frock?

#156 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,178 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:42 PM

Satisfied?

Chef Heston Blumenthal has apologized to diners who fell ill after eating at his celebrated restaurant The Fat Duck — and invited them to return as his guests.

"It was deeply upsetting to all of us that your enjoyment of The Fat Duck was not as we had intended it to be," he said in the letter. "I would be delighted if you would consider returning to The Fat Duck at a time that is convenient to you."

He adds: "If this is not appropriate to you personally, please contact us and we will address each individual situation with our insurers."

Blumenthal said he had wanted to write to the diners months ago, but was advised against it by lawyers and insurers.

(My guess is, "No.")

eta: article with a copy of the full letter

#157 LML

LML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:38 PM

Journal of Epidemiology and Infection puts the boot in. It was not me, it was my food.

Food or frock?

#158 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,599 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:41 PM

an oyster, passion fruit jelly and lavender dish

That'll get you every time.