#1337 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

But she's too drunk.

drinking and throwing actually goes very well together. (except for darts.)
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#1338 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,763 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:46 AM

said author, who is a Big Name.

You're producing a book by St. Patty?

Naw. Ms. Perky. First one since she jumped to this publisher. And the production schedule is insanely short.

Hint: it's someone mentioned in the cover story in today's Times food section. No, not that one; I worked on her stuff before she left this house for another. Actually, this new one is marginally better; at least her recipes won't kill you. :P

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#1339 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:35 PM

We offer all local, artesian meats, cheeses, sandwiches and more.

It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#1340 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,605 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:30 PM

I've had some very watery hams in my time.

#1341 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:43 PM

Kathryn Hughes, historian at my soon to be place of employment thinks that Thomas Cromwell is "urban". Well yes, but perhaps "urbane" would be a more interesting observation.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#1342 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,905 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

On Commas

And she was.

#1343 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,290 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:21 PM

Paltrow and her husband, Coldplay frontman Chris Martin, have spoken before about their close friendship with Jay-Z and Beyonce.

"Jay is one of the people I respect most in the world," the actress explained to Steve Stoute last November. "He's such an iconoclast in so many ways."

Read more: http://www.usmagazin...5#ixzz1vdTR9eiT

I know what I learned the word "iconoclast" means, but what the hell does Gwyneth Paltrow think it means?

#1344 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,605 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

Kathryn Hughes, historian at my soon to be place of employment thinks that Thomas Cromwell is "urban". Well yes, but perhaps "urbane" would be a more interesting observation.

'E come from dahn Putney, is wot she means.

#1345 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:06 PM

One reviewer of a recent paper of ours thought that there was an error due to our "a priory" assumptions. Maybe the reviewer would be better convinced ex cathedra assumptions.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#1346 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:18 PM

One reviewer of a recent paper of ours thought that there was an error due to our "a priory" assumptions. Maybe the reviewer would be better convinced ex cathedra assumptions.

A former boss of mine was at a meeting with the company's lawyers in order to go over a proposed video licensing contract. Mind you, he hadn't actually *read* the contract. He was a busy guy. He had "people" to do the reading for him. Then they talked about the terms with him. He was fine with everything except one clause - he didn't understand why the contract covered "Arizona missions."

There was a painful silence. Then one of the lawyers realized he was actually referring to "errors and omissions." They broke it too him very carefully.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#1347 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,144 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:29 PM

A former boss of mine was at a meeting with the company's lawyers in order to go over a proposed video licensing contract. Mind you, he hadn't actually *read* the contract. He was a busy guy. He had "people" to do the reading for him. Then they talked about the terms with him. He was fine with everything except one clause - he didn't understand why the contract covered "Arizona missions."

There was a painful silence. Then one of the lawyers realized he was actually referring to "errors and omissions." They broke it too him very carefully.

i guess he just took it for granite

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#1348 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,144 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:34 PM

one of my clients thought it was called the "aerosol emissions" clause.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#1349 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:01 PM

MRI used to be called NMR (nuclear magnetic resonance (imaging)).

An elderly patient was brought down to the machine in a wheelchair, and was asked to get into the imager. She was utterly relieved, and said fine. She added, I thought they said I had to get an enema. (Say NMR out loud.)

G told me this one, so it must be true.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#1350 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,535 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:57 AM

"Never mind."
Bar Loser

MF Old