#1337 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

But she's too drunk.

drinking and throwing actually goes very well together. (except for darts.)
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#1338 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,408 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:46 AM

said author, who is a Big Name.

You're producing a book by St. Patty?

Naw. Ms. Perky. First one since she jumped to this publisher. And the production schedule is insanely short.

Hint: it's someone mentioned in the cover story in today's Times food section. No, not that one; I worked on her stuff before she left this house for another. Actually, this new one is marginally better; at least her recipes won't kill you. :P

"Mansplaining" is bad enough.  "Waitsplaining" is insufferable. -- Lex, 24 May - 01:08 PM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#1339 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:35 PM

We offer all local, artesian meats, cheeses, sandwiches and more.

It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#1340 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78,755 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:30 PM

I've had some very watery hams in my time.

#1341 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:43 PM

Kathryn Hughes, historian at my soon to be place of employment thinks that Thomas Cromwell is "urban". Well yes, but perhaps "urbane" would be a more interesting observation.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#1342 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,377 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

On Commas

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.

#1343 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:21 PM

Paltrow and her husband, Coldplay frontman Chris Martin, have spoken before about their close friendship with Jay-Z and Beyonce.

"Jay is one of the people I respect most in the world," the actress explained to Steve Stoute last November. "He's such an iconoclast in so many ways."

Read more: http://www.usmagazin...5#ixzz1vdTR9eiT

I know what I learned the word "iconoclast" means, but what the hell does Gwyneth Paltrow think it means?

#1344 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78,755 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

Kathryn Hughes, historian at my soon to be place of employment thinks that Thomas Cromwell is "urban". Well yes, but perhaps "urbane" would be a more interesting observation.

'E come from dahn Putney, is wot she means.

#1345 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:06 PM

One reviewer of a recent paper of ours thought that there was an error due to our "a priory" assumptions. Maybe the reviewer would be better convinced ex cathedra assumptions.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#1346 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,723 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:18 PM

One reviewer of a recent paper of ours thought that there was an error due to our "a priory" assumptions. Maybe the reviewer would be better convinced ex cathedra assumptions.

A former boss of mine was at a meeting with the company's lawyers in order to go over a proposed video licensing contract. Mind you, he hadn't actually *read* the contract. He was a busy guy. He had "people" to do the reading for him. Then they talked about the terms with him. He was fine with everything except one clause - he didn't understand why the contract covered "Arizona missions."

There was a painful silence. Then one of the lawyers realized he was actually referring to "errors and omissions." They broke it too him very carefully.

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"Why can't a horse fuck another horse and then race a few days later? Sort of like a boxer." - Joethefoodie

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#1347 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,739 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:29 PM

A former boss of mine was at a meeting with the company's lawyers in order to go over a proposed video licensing contract. Mind you, he hadn't actually *read* the contract. He was a busy guy. He had "people" to do the reading for him. Then they talked about the terms with him. He was fine with everything except one clause - he didn't understand why the contract covered "Arizona missions."

There was a painful silence. Then one of the lawyers realized he was actually referring to "errors and omissions." They broke it too him very carefully.

i guess he just took it for granite

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#1348 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,739 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:34 PM

one of my clients thought it was called the "aerosol emissions" clause.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#1349 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:01 PM

MRI used to be called NMR (nuclear magnetic resonance (imaging)).

An elderly patient was brought down to the machine in a wheelchair, and was asked to get into the imager. She was utterly relieved, and said fine. She added, I thought they said I had to get an enema. (Say NMR out loud.)

G told me this one, so it must be true.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#1350 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 52,230 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:57 AM

"Never mind."
Bar Loser

MF Old