#46 cristina

cristina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 10:43 PM

The law says you have to use raisins. :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Gosh, y'all, if you don't like raisins, leave'em out.

<looks over shoulder for picadillo police>
Mexico Cooks!

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

#47 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 03:08 AM

I purchased my brisket today. Picadillo tomorrow. :blush:

#48 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 04:27 AM

I purchased my brisket today. Picadillo tomorrow. :blush:

Blue -- buy a bag of tortilla chips. However you are going to serve your picadillo, also taste it as a dip just to see what you think. I often take it to parties when folks are asked to bring an appetizer. I serve it hot in a chafing dish with a basket of chips alongside. :blush:

The Voice of America

#49 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 04:47 AM

I purchased my brisket today.  Picadillo tomorrow. :blush:

Blue -- buy a bag of tortilla chips. However you are going to serve your picadillo, also taste it as a dip just to see what you think. I often take it to parties when folks are asked to bring an appetizer. I serve it hot in a chafing dish with a basket of chips alongside. :blush:

I was planning to do just that (because I had remembered when you had posted about that once)! Please no one shoot me, but I'm also thinking about using my shredded beef picadillo as a topping for nachos (guilty pleasure) and I might even top that with melted cheese and organic sour cream to be really decadent. :blush:

I also plan to serve it atop rice like Cristina suggested, as well as tacos and tostados. mmmm.

How long does store homemade crema generally last? (no expiration date listed). I still have some from the rajas a couple of weeks ago. You aren't going to ask me to taste it to tell for myself are you? That's what I am trying to avoid if it's expired. :blush:

#50 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 05:06 PM

I'd think you could smell the crema and tell if it's gone off. If it doesn't smell too bad, then taste a little bit.

Also, while you're topping stuff, get some of those canned pickled jalapenos to serve with, in case someone likes it mas picante. A lot of picadillo isn't spicy at all.

The Voice of America

#51 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 05:17 PM

From what I remember, crema lasts really long. Months even?
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#52 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 05:50 PM

Yes, the brand name processed products I buy do. But I'm not sure what Leslie got.... she said it's "store homemade crema" with no expiration date. So who knows?

The Voice of America

#53 cristina

cristina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 12:13 AM

Not months, I shudder to think!

Even the brand name processed products that Jaymes mentions aren't as good a couple of weeks down the line as they are when you buy them fresh.

This store-made crema is undoubtedly a dairy product made with no preservatives, so think maybe a week. After a week it will smell and taste 'off' from what it was when you bought it. 'Off' in this instance means sourer, more acidic, not the true taste of fresh crema. The fresh product tastes of thick sweet cream, with just a tiny bit of acidic overtone.
Mexico Cooks!

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

#54 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:00 PM

I made Cristina's recipe for Picadillo using brisket, and my husband couldn't stop raving about how good it was! The complements started as soon as he walked in the door and said how good the house smelled, and that something good was cooking with a hint of sweetness in it. Then after dinner he said it was one of the best things I have made lately. It tasted like Mexican comfort food I think, but with very interesting flavors. So many thanks to Cristina & Jaymes ... please keep those recipes coming! I served my Picadillo with white rice as Cristina recommended, and it really seemed to be the perfect accompaniment for it. I couldn't believe that potatoes and rice could be so good.

Even the raisins in it were fine. The flavors are so melded together that I was not aware of them, per se, but it added some sweetness. I am not quite as keen as my husband on eating sweetness & cinnamon, pinch cloves in my savory meats, but it really seemed to work with this dish. I did use a bit less apple and pear than called for personal reasons of not liking too much sweet w/meat, and it was still plenty sweet, I thought. I also used only 1 minced serrano to be on the safe side for my husband who doesn't like too much heat, but I think next time I could easily add the 2nd one w/o it being too hot. I found I added quite a bit of the reserved broth to the mixture while it was cooking, too.

I also want to mention, I really liked the flavor of the brisket using this method of cooking in water with onion, garlic and chiles. The meat tasted so good cooked this way that the first night, I just shredded a bit of the brisket, then fried it in a pan w/onion and warmed some corn tortillas and ate it as tacos topped w/ a spoon of pico de gallo. Very yummy as it tasted like a beef version of carnitas or al pastor tacos (as this was crispy shreds of brisket).

Lastly, I saved about a cup of the Picadillo (added a bit more broth) to serve warmed as a dip w/fried corn tortilla chips, as Jaymes had recommended. I also liked that a lot, too, for tasty dip.

#55 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 06:41 PM

So, I finally got around to making picadillo this weekend, using Zarela Martinez's recipe.

Posted Image

I had a ton of shredded beef chuck left over from the Soup of the Fortnight, so I used that for the meat base. Then I stuffed it into some skinned poblanos and served it with sopa seca and a tomato sauce.

Overall, I thought it was interesting and a well-written recipe. I don't really care for sweet tastes in my savory food, though, so the best I can say was "I'm glad I tried it" or perhaps "I didn't dislike it as much as I feared."

The tomato sauce (which was finished with cream!) was quite bizarre and I wouldn't make it again even on a bet.
I'm no longer participating on Mouthfuls, but feel free to visit our blog.