114 replies to this topic

#31 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:48 PM

If you are up for a higher end dining experience, I suggest Radius 10 in Nashville. I had an excellent meal there, sitting and the Chef's counter.

#32 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:19 PM

I have a few days here at the beginning of August so keep the tips coming. What are the food experiences that one should go for. My current plans go something like
1) BBQ
2) Bar B Q
3) etc.

#33 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:11 PM

If you are up for a higher end dining experience, I suggest Radius 10 in Nashville. I had an excellent meal there, sitting and the Chef's counter.

Thank you.

Oh: what's the fast-food delicacy typical of Memphis. It's like a load of fried stuff with more fried stuff on top. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#34 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:20 PM

If you want to sample Memphis' fried delicacies go to Huey's on Madison for a Huey Burger and any one of the numerous fried appetizers or side orders.

Many places also have fried dill pickle slices. These go frighteningly well with ice cold beer.

#35 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:25 PM

I'm thinking of something else. Maybe I am in the wrong city.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#36 Anónimo

Anónimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:45 AM

We went to the Rendezvous years ago, and really enjoyed it. You can really work up a thirst and drink pitchers of beer.
In the last 3 years, our friends took us to Central BBQ, on Summer Avenue. It's more raffish than the Rendezvous. You stand in line to order, your food is brought to you. It was terrific.

We have only eaten in a branch or franchise of Corky's (FWIT), in Little Rock, AR, and the ribs are quite good, the atmosphere a bit plastic, and other menu items fell way below the quality level of the ribs, notably the hamburger.

We also went to Yia Yia's Euro Cafe (yes, a small national chain) in the Shops at Saddle Creek center, in far east Memphis (bordering Germatown. The first visit we loved it. The second visit was pretty good. The third, was unsatisfactory, particularly some very fatty lamb I had, and, hardly worth mention; the iced tea dispenser which a server accidentally knocked off the service bar, flooding the floor near us. Fortunately, we were not teed off.

I never made the trip, but will do so this summer. And with a car driver, too.

I assume Ron's recommendations are still operational? Corky's and Rendezvous the best BBQ in Memphis, it seems. There were some Nashville dining recommendations in the late R.W. Apple's book, whatever it's called. I think I'll spend a little more time in Memphis than in Nashville - a week for the whole trip.

Buen provecho,
Anónimo

Tzintzuntzan, Michoacán, México

#37 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 03:19 PM

Thanks for that. We should try to hit at least a couple of BBQ joints.
Elect-a-lujah

#38 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:32 PM

Okay, serious planning stages of the adventure. I reviewed the thread and picked out things which seems appealing (not everything, this is not an endless trip). This will identify gaps, too:

Memphis Hotels: Need ideas.

Memphis eating: BBQ - Corky's, Rendezvous (dry rubbed ribs), Neely's (pork shoulder sandwich), Central, Cozy Corner (hot sauce). Other - Jensen, La Tourelle.

Music: Beale Street generally. Ernestine & Hazel's. Huey's (burger + jazz).

Nashville Hotels: Wyndham Union Station, Hermitage Suites

Nashville eating: Wild Boar, Loveless Motel (southern), Monell's (breakfast), South Street Grill (S. Alabama), Watermark
Radius 10.

Got tickets for the Opry; need for Graceland.*

Other stuff: Is Music Row in Nashville a place to catch live music? Does anyone know venues with live music, either city, which will admit children - in New York, you can take kids most places where there is food and table service. Should I expect problems?

I will do a search online for any children's attractions too, but feel free to speak up.

Art: Georgia O'Keefe in Nashville (at the Frisk, right?). Other galleries/museums?

Thanks y'all.

*Mmm, $68 for a VIP tour. Nope, reg'lar 'll do jest fine. Good news, six and under get in free.
Elect-a-lujah

#39 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:38 PM

Okay, serious planning stages of the adventure. I reviewed the thread and picked out things which seems appealing (not everything, this is not an endless trip). This will identify gaps, too:

Memphis Hotels: Need ideas.

Memphis eating: BBQ - Corky's, Rendezvous (dry rubbed ribs), Neely's (pork shoulder sandwich), Central, Cozy Corner (hot sauce). Other - Jensen, La Tourelle.

Music: Beale Street generally. Ernestine & Hazel's. Huey's (burger + jazz).

Looks good, but skip La Tourelle. It will be a big disappointment to you. Stay at the Peabody.

#40 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:06 PM

in Memphis, stay at the Peabody. It is the best.
"Love ya once, love ya twice, love ya more than beans and rice"

#41 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:29 PM

Peabody. Good.
Elect-a-lujah

#42 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:24 PM

if for any reason the Peabody doesn't work out I have stayed multiple times at the Double Tree one block from Peabody. Good hotel, earn points, valet parking, crappy TGIF in the lobby but hey- a beer is a beer!

I really hope you'll get to the Civil Rights Museum in Memphis- it is amazing. The tour of Graceland is very unique. Your kids may like Mud Island. I also really liked going to a Redbirds game, stadium right across from Doubletree. We went late and got in on a discount price- bbq nacho's and AAA baseball in the sun. nice!
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#43 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:26 AM

Any more specifically Nashville suggestions? Especially for BBQ...

#44 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:58 PM

if for any reason the Peabody doesn't work out I have stayed multiple times at the Double Tree one block from Peabody. Good hotel, earn points, valet parking, crappy TGIF in the lobby but hey- a beer is a beer!

I really hope you'll get to the Civil Rights Museum in Memphis- it is amazing. The tour of Graceland is very unique. Your kids may like Mud Island. I also really liked going to a Redbirds game, stadium right across from Doubletree. We went late and got in on a discount price- bbq nacho's and AAA baseball in the sun. nice!

You are prescient (which is good), as I have three nights at the Peabody, but am waitlisted for a fourth. I will take the Double Tree as a safety net.

Now, let me look up Mud Island. :lol:
Elect-a-lujah

#45 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:38 PM

I had been thinking about Wild Boar in Nashville for an upscale meal, but I just noticed it went bankrupt. New chef, presumably new owners now. Maybe Watermark is safer. Does anyone have up-to-date information?
Elect-a-lujah