69 replies to this topic

#1 StephY

StephY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 07:36 PM

When looking for recommendations, recently, I got conflicting advice about APDC. Some said "Not worth it," while others said, "Very good." I'll be in Montreal, this coming weekend, and it is *not* on the list.

Yet, Anthony Bourdain just published a pig testament in this month's Gourmet magazine, which basically hails Au Pied as one of the best of the best in Montreal. Is he just blowing smoke? I'm just looking for a little more info . . .
Food, glorious food!

#2 wizard

wizard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 10:25 PM

Steph:

I have not been back to Montreal for a number of years. However, I have read some reviews on "other" Foodie listservs that were not "straddling the picket fence" at all...they were all "raves".

They were so good that had I been heading to Montreal I would have been dialing (514) to make resos.

Let us know if you went and regardless what you enjoyed in my former home town.

#3 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 10:26 PM

I would say that Au Pied du Cochon is still worth a visit(especially if you haven't eaten there before). Now is a good time of the year, to eat there(lots of fresh seafood available), with spring just around the corner. It's a bit disturbing to hear some recent negative comments about them. My last visit to APDC(around 5 months ago), was a disappointment(food & service wasn't good).

Regarding Anthony Bourdain recent write-up on APDC in Gourmet magazine. You have to remember, when he came through Montreal several months ago, he was given a VIP treatment in all the restaurants he ate at(with probably several people from Montreal media tailing him everywhere). Everyone was on their best behavour. I'm saying this, being a big big Anthony Bourdain fan.

Steve

#4 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 10:30 PM

I have nothing against Bourdain, who seems a thoroughly pleasant and entertaining fellow, but he has a track record of raving about restaurants which disappointed me. I imagine it is partly because he has little chance of not being recognized and VIP'ed.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#5 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,367 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 10:37 PM

While our last meal at APDC wasn't the best (also because there was no seafood), it was still very good. I wouldn't recommend it for the group you've described in previous posts...

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#6 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 10:40 PM

I have nothing against Bourdain, who seems a thoroughly pleasant and entertaining fellow, but he has a track record of raving about restaurants which disappointed me. I imagine it is partly because he has little chance of not being recognized and VIP'ed.

He's also hampered by his empathy with fellow chefs.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#7 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:07 PM

We had a very good meal at APDC in May of 2003. I'd go back there for sure next time I'm in Montreal.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#8 fantasty

fantasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 01:23 PM

S. and I really enjoyed the meal we ate there exactly a year ago tonight. Great atmosphere, too. We'll go back should we find ourselves in Montreal again. But, as Orik noted, for the crowd you'll be with, this probably won't be a pleaser.
"My hogs were so lean you had to put lard in the pan just to cook your bacon" - Papa Wilson, 1918 - 2007

#9 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,237 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:03 PM

The Shrine of Swine, the Fairgrounds of Foie, the Madhouse of Maple, Au Pied Du Cochon is not some fancy place where it is your privelage to eat.. Its a wonderful place that is as welcoming as it is daring.. Besides it being just really tasty food, I believe its a celebration of what the chef holds close.. Animals, Food, Canada and people...This is not some place where you are going to order the everyday beef or the fish dishes.. This is not some place you find the obligatory, or standard items dressed up a little.. Here you can find the dishes that show the chef's understanding of food and respect for where it comes from.. Pickled venison tongue for example.. Is this done for effect or to shock? I dont believe.. I happen to love tongue from duck to pig.. This was a wonderful dish.. And yes, he could be serving the venison tenderloin but, should the rest of the venison be thrown in the garbage? Foie gras is another item where he is truly creative.. He is not serving some tourchon with pretty pink sea salt, there are no violins playing or jackets required.. Here he is taking hunks of foie and putting it between slices of hamburger bun, adding it to french fries and gravy, stuffing it in pigs feat? Ew, pigs have feet? Instead of a gentle poachin with a sachet of herbs, it is rolled in a ball breaded and fried.. And you know what, its wonderful.. He is taking something that is known for its wonderful and heavenly experience and actually meeting the expectation.. If I have another little crappy nugget of foie gras with some stupid sweet fruit reduction, I might start calling for it to be banned.. I have never understood people's love of foie gras until I started cooking with it at home.. And this is what he does.. He makes foie gras actually taste good and uses it correctly.. Sorry for going off on a tangent.. Needless to say, I like the place a lot..

We started with the venison tongue and fried foie gras..

Vension tongue stewed in a tarragon vinegar sauce.. I love venison meat..When cooked it tastes like a more buttery and cleaner filet, when raw it tastes like a crisper and fresher ahi tuna.. The tongue had the texture of a perfectly stewed piece of brisket.. Held its consistency a lot better then any tongue I have had..

Posted Image

I dont know how to spell the french name. .But its fried foie gras.. I have done a similiar version with truffle juice, gelatin, and some port.. This was really good. Perhaps a little more bland then the ones I have made.. But hot molten foie.. Whats not too love..

Posted Image

Sorry no blueberry reduction here..

Posted Image

Foie gras poutine.. He has blended foie into the gravy, he has then added house made fries, local cheese curds, and topped the whole thing with about two 2.5 ounce lobes.. Who can possibly ever look at foie gras as snotty again.. I have had this dish before, the gravy was more salty this time then in the past..

Posted Image

Might as well get the burger to go along with the fries.. Actually there is no beef in the burger.. The burger is actually a quarter pound hunk of foie gras.. I have seen the burger in the cook book and was curious about it.. He does a lot of cool things with just salting the hunks of foie.. Plus he was adding cheddar cheese to foie gras so I had to try it.. It was good.. It was a little intense.. I love the idea but, it was not my favorite dish.. I felt it was too balsamic tasting.. The greens really cut through the grease and added a crisp and freshness.. I am glad I tried it..

Posted Image

Duck in a can..

Cooked in a can:

Posted Image

Opened table side and placed on toast with mashed potatoes..

Posted Image

I cant say enough good things about this dish.. The duck was cooked perfectly.. A medium rare that you woulld expect out of a sous vide machine.. Another 4 oz piece of foie was on the plate and not even a highlight.. It was just such a wonderful, creative, and comforting dish..

Posted Image

For dessert a hot maple syrup pudding..

Posted Image
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#10 FaustianBargain

FaustianBargain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:58 PM

I dont know how to spell the french name. .But its fried foie gras.. I have done a similiar version with truffle juice, gelatin, and some cognac.. This was really good. Perhaps a little more bland then the ones I have made.. But hot molten foie.. Whats not too love..

Posted Image

cromesquis de foie gras.
i am not a cancer, i am a sagittarius.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

#11 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:54 PM

I'm not sure it's actually poutine if there aren't old peas in the gravy :lol:

but, damn.
I used to be eye candy but now Im more like eye pickle"
Neil Innes

Your father is going deaf. I cant hear a word he says!
My mom

I hope to set an example, you know, for children and stuff."
Captain Hammer

#12 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,237 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:20 AM

I hear ya..I did not grow up eating Poutine however, I think i might have with his cousin.. The cheese fry with American Cheese and brown gravy.. I spent several a night giggling over a plate of these with my friends at the beach. But it wasnt until I went to Canada that I got a true apprecation for Poutine.. Chicken dinner with peas,gravy and curds might be my favorite all time combination.. Talk about a plate of comfort.. As I write this I am wondering if they make a Rueben Poutine? That might be something to think about..

#13 pixelchef

pixelchef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:18 PM

Poutine, Daniel - not Poutin. I can only stand so much. :lol:

#14 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,237 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:40 PM

Haha.. Sorry for the mistakes.. As anyone can tell, I am a horrible speller and would prefer not to proofread.. But something as serious as Poutine I will go back and change.. I apprecaite the help..

#15 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,237 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:51 PM

Here is another offering to the Poutine G-ds..

Its that chicken dinner i was talking about.

Posted Image