240 replies to this topic

#1 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,235 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 12:43 AM

Ah, so, the season's fast approaching...in Vermont, that is. I guess it's already in swing in more temperate climes.

The last two days have been sunny with temps not quite to 60°(F)...a sure sign that it's time to get my ass on a bike. The real bikes are stashed away where it will take some effort to retrieve them, and then they'll require tuning up...but we have those $20 Huffy beach cruisers, rebuilt and greased and good to go.

I hopped on one yesterday for my maiden voyage '05. Did a quick out-and-back 8-mile ride from the house. 2 miles of down-flat-down, 2 miles of fairly mild sustained climb (4% average?), then reversed. But the cruiser has only one speed – a totally middle/middle gear ratio – and fat low-inflation tires. So it's a decent workout. Did it again today. I'm making this my early season training. If I keep this up daily (or as often as weather allows) for the next two or three weeks, I'll be good and strong for the real rides.

The beauty of the cruiser is that I can ride without suiting up in all my high-tech gear. Mr Mora and I rode today in baggy jeans, T-shirts, sneakers, and shades. I think it's worth digging out my Chuck Taylors for early season. :lol:

It's interesting that when we ride all geared up in Lycra and helmets and the latest whizzbangery, people scowl at us, take pleasure in trying to run us off the road, and give us the finger whenever possible. On the cruisers, anyone and everyone has a big smile of approval and a hearty wave. Maybe it's the shit-eating grins on our faces. Riding a cruiser is just fucking FUN, like being a kid again.

#2 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:05 PM

I'm envious. I no longer have the balls to cycle in NYC so I gave my bike away.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#3 fantasty

fantasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:38 PM

Riding a cruiser is just fucking FUN, like being a kid again.

I realized last week that the reason I've yet to enjoy cycling is because I still associate getting on a bike with fun. Silly me.
"My hogs were so lean you had to put lard in the pan just to cook your bacon" - Papa Wilson, 1918 - 2007

#4 winesonoma

winesonoma

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 06:56 PM

Going to pick up my bike today. Had new bars put on so I can ride more upright. Haven't ridden in 8 years due to injury. Hope I can do it again. :lol:
Bruce
Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"
Moscow is building a monument to processed cheese.

#5 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,235 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 07:22 PM

Easy. It's just like riding a bike.

#6 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,235 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 10:15 PM

Got the big-kid bikes out today and went for the first “real” ride of the season. Quick 20-miler, not too climbey. Just enough hills to make it hurt.

#7 Tamar G

Tamar G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:08 PM

anybody signed up for the NYC 5 borough bike tour? I believe it's scheduled for May 1. If you haven't done it it's loads of fun- for one thing they close the streets so you don't have to worry about Manhattan drivers.

#8 fantasty

fantasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:15 PM

I'm thinking about. I've been advised by cycling friends that it's somewhat hazardous, even w/o cars, because of the thousands of people on bikes who don't know how to ride in groups. I can imagine that it's like the start of a running race, where you feel like you're the frog in Frogger, trying to find a clearing amist the masses.
"My hogs were so lean you had to put lard in the pan just to cook your bacon" - Papa Wilson, 1918 - 2007

#9 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,235 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 01:12 AM

± 15 miles today, including 3-mile round trip to the grocery store. Quality climb in the form of a 2.5 mile incline, avg. 6% grade.

#10 Tamar G

Tamar G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 03:28 AM

I'm thinking about. I've been advised by cycling friends that it's somewhat hazardous, even w/o cars, because of the thousands of people on bikes who don't know how to ride in groups. I can imagine that it's like the start of a running race, where you feel like you're the frog in Frogger, trying to find a clearing amist the masses.

hazardous? If so, I, as a non-cyclist, was blissfully unaware of the dangerous amateurs around me. The only recommendation I would make is to skip the starting point and join the bikers a little bit north of the starting point (Houston or 14th street). That way you get to skip all of the insanity of having that many thousands of bikers all starting out on the same block. It thins out almost immediately as those in better shape push out ahead of the slackers.

#11 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,235 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 04:43 PM

± 14 mi. yesterday. Long, slow climb into a headwind totally wiped me out. No ride today.

#12 fantasty

fantasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 04:53 PM

The only recommendation I would make is to skip the starting point and join the bikers a little bit north of the starting point (Houston or 14th street).  That way you get to skip all of the insanity of having that many thousands of bikers all starting out on the same block.  It thins out almost immediately as those in better shape push out ahead of the slackers.

Ah, that makes good sense.

I'm still thinking about it!

#13 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,235 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 01:26 PM

Back on the bike after a 3-week hiatus. 17-mile loop on Monday on my 'cross bike – lots of good climb and beautiful scenery. 18-mile loop on the road bike yesterday – more quality climb. I seem to be riding really well so far this season. My legs feel really strong, and I'm not getting winded on the hard climbs. My goal is to log 2000 miles by the end of October.

#14 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,440 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 03:57 PM

For New York area bicyclists, MetroNorth and Long Island railroads offer free bike passes, which allow a rider to bring her or his bike on many trains.

That would allow a rider to travel north by train to Wassaic and cycle over to Millbrook and the wineries, or to Tarrytown, and cycle over to BHSB or Chiboust. I suppose an energetic rider could debark at Peekskill, travel up US 6 and over the Bear Mountain Bridge, through Bear Mountain park, and return by train from Harriman

MTA's and LIRR's bike rules

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#15 callalla

callalla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 01:22 AM

As a cycling commuter (only 20 minutes each way) in Sydney, I'm loving my new lights (yesterday was the first day of winter and it's dark when I leave work at 5). The front one has about 4 blueish LEDs which flash like mad, and the rear one has tons of LED's and a great 'Eagle Wing' setting. Its great when you feel visible.

I do occasionally take pity on drivers who have got me in their rear-view mirrors and turn the flashing off. In general though, I think that flashing is much more noticable than a constant beam.