240 replies to this topic

#226 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:34 PM

Great for securing the lids of garbage cans.

Funny. I've got an inner-tube bungy cord on ours also. Raccoons are not happy with this solution.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#227 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:20 PM

Success! Thanks for all the good advice, I'm sure it will come in handy at some point.

Want to know the dumbass thing I was doing?

So my patch kit is German and it comes with Ikea-like picture directions. Step 3 was spread the glue on the hole and step for was wait 5 minutes for it to dry. So in my infinite wisdom I thought to myself "when you watched Amy do this she put the patch on the wet glue, so this must be wrong or printed out of order." But no, the Germans are always right.

So the good news is that my tire changing time is now at 25 minutes. The bad news is that I have poor reading comprehension skills.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#228 SethG

SethG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,284 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:18 PM

I own a patch kit but I only bring it on really long rides in case I get more than one flat. I have never had to employ it on the road. I always bring a spare tube, and install it when I get a flat. They only cost a couple bucks.
Why yes, I do have a rock climbing blog! Climb and Punishment

#229 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:18 PM

Can I revise my Cowboy's prediction downwards?
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#230 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:13 AM

Inquiry on Lance Armstrong Ends With No Charges
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#231 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:44 PM

Yeah, bitch, it's a motherfuckin' fixie.

#232 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

Yesterday I rode in the TD Five Boro Bike Tour which I highly recomend. The weather was just about perfect for the ride and the event was really well-organized, which I hear was not the case last year.

The race is about 40+ miles and I was fine until about mile 25 when I really started to feel it in my back and butt. My goal was not to walk any bridges and I practically had to crawl up the Verrazano bridge, but I did it. Going home via the Manhattan bridge (bridge #7 of the day), I had to literally picture my sofa for motivation. With getting to the race and getting back home, my mileage ended up being around 50+. Surprisingly, I am in no pain today!

#233 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,642 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:34 PM

Well done. Recovery is key. Also, I have the impression, rightly or wrongly, from Facebook that you fueled yourself with cookies. All the more impressive.

#234 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:41 PM

Ha! Actually I ate very little while biking - just a granola bar and those two cookies that were captured on Facebook (supplied by a fellow MFer)- so as you can imagine I was STARVING once I got to the finish festival.

#235 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

Yesterday I rode in the NYC Century Tour. You can choose your mileage from the following choices: 15, 35, 55, 75 and 100. I went for the 55, which is now my personal best. The century tour is different from the 5 Borough in that the streets are not closed off from traffic, you are riding on "live" streets. This isnít a problem for me, Iím used to that but itís amazing how cars, pedestrians and red lights can slow you down. They give you a cue sheet but you can also follow the very discreet) markings on the road which consist of a spray painted yellow ďCĒ and an arrow if you are supposed to turn. Also unlike the 5B, the race thins out considerably as people go at their own pace. I was the only rider in some stretches and while on Ocean Avenue, there was a ton of traffic so I missed a turn off which resulted in an extra 3-4 miles when I realized it and then looped back.

The suckiest part was the 3 flights of stairs that I had to carry my very heavy bike up to get to Randallís Island. Also thereís the issue of my beater bike, which I like just fine for my daily commute itís slow and heavy and even with padded cycling shorts by mile 25 I felt like I was sitting on a bag of rocks. I definitely need to invest in a better seat.

With my little detour, I estimate my final ride to be about 60 miles. I left my apartment at 7 am and returned at 4pm. When I got home, everything hurt: even my skin because I was a jackass, thinking that since I had a base tan from riding all summer I wouldnít need sunscreen. Wrong. I was starving and literally ate for an hour. Then I took a bath and was in bed by 9, asleep by 9:30. And I rode in to work today!

#236 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:24 PM

Yesterday I rode in the NYC Century Tour. You can choose your mileage from the following choices: 15, 35, 55, 75 and 100. I went for the 55, which is now my personal best. The century tour is different from the 5 Borough in that the streets are not closed off from traffic, you are riding on "live" streets. This isnít a problem for me, Iím used to that but itís amazing how cars, pedestrians and red lights can slow you down. They give you a cue sheet but you can also follow the very discreet) markings on the road which consist of a spray painted yellow ďCĒ and an arrow if you are supposed to turn. Also unlike the 5B, the race thins out considerably as people go at their own pace. I was the only rider in some stretches and while on Ocean Avenue, there was a ton of traffic so I missed a turn off which resulted in an extra 3-4 miles when I realized it and then looped back.

The suckiest part was the 3 flights of stairs that I had to carry my very heavy bike up to get to Randallís Island. Also thereís the issue of my beater bike, which I like just fine for my daily commute itís slow and heavy and even with padded cycling shorts by mile 25 I felt like I was sitting on a bag of rocks. I definitely need to invest in a better seat.

With my little detour, I estimate my final ride to be about 60 miles. I left my apartment at 7 am and returned at 4pm. When I got home, everything hurt: even my skin because I was a jackass, thinking that since I had a base tan from riding all summer I wouldnít need sunscreen. Wrong. I was starving and literally ate for an hour. Then I took a bath and was in bed by 9, asleep by 9:30. And I rode in to work today!

I did a 90-mile ride once, up and around the lower end of Lake Champlaign. The next day, I could literally do nothing but eat and sleep (my ass was fine, as I'd been riding hard all that summer long).

You have my respect and admiration for doing that ride Ė traffic terrifies me.

#237 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:37 PM

Wow, 90 miles? You have my respect, I'd be bedridden for days.

#238 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:22 PM

I definitely need to invest in a better seat.

If you have a commuter bike where you are pretty upright (hand position above your seat), look at the Brooks sprung seats. Expensive but worth the money.

A forward or drop position on a bike allows you to absorb road shock through much more of your body. And upright position focuses all of your weight and most of the associated road shock to your lower back and butt. The springs in a Brooks seat help absorb the shock. Much better feeling than a gel seat.

The only downside is an expensive seat on a beater bike could be a theft risk.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#239 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:23 PM

I definitely need to invest in a better seat.

If you have a commuter bike where you are pretty upright (hand position above your seat), look at the Brooks sprung seats. Expensive but worth the money.

A forward or drop position on a bike allows you to absorb road shock through much more of your body. And upright position focuses all of your weight and most of the associated road shock to your lower back and butt. The springs in a Brooks seat help absorb the shock. Much better feeling than a gel seat.

The only downside is an expensive seat on a beater bike could be a theft risk.

Thanks for this. I was thinking about a Brooks but am having a hard time pulling the trigger because the cost would be more than the value of my bike and I often lock my bike outside. However if I do more long rides, which I think I will, eventually I'll have to make the investment and just change the seats when I'm commuting.

#240 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:00 AM

Wow, 90 miles? You have my respect, I'd be bedridden for days.

But I was so much younger then; I'm older than that now.