16561 replies to this topic

#1 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 06:14 PM

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a convoluted, improbable recipe involving dal, soaked, ground and then deep fried in seasoned balls, boiled slices of an Indian gourd, and a weird yoghurt/chickpea flour sauce. I knew all along it wouldn't work and it duly turned out inedible.

Then last night a chicken dish, nearly as improbable, but my premonition that it just might work was correct. A whole chicken stuffed with hard-boiled eggs (I soft-boiled them) and an onion/garlic/ginger/chilli mixture, rubbed first with ground green papaya and then a spice/nut mixture of poppy seeds/pistachios/almonds/garam masala. Sliced onions sauteed in butter (ghee if you want to be correct), the chicken put on top, couple of chopped tomatoes and plenty of yoghurt added, with seasoning, brough to a simmer on the stove and put in the oven for a couple of hours. Turned out pretty yummy even if I didn't grind the poppy seeds properly.

v
...it actually comes down to what thrills you - Hugh Johnson

authenticity is a fog that recedes just when you think you may be getting near it - R Schonfeld

The most political act we do on a daily basis is to eat - Prof J Pretty

this city without boundaries we all share - zigzackly

#2 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,766 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 10:40 PM

Dandelion greens and Boucheron patties (once you cook all that healthy bitterness out of dandelion, it's actually quite nice)

Short ribs braised in red wine - a provencal-ish take with olives and lots of herbs
I never said that

#3 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 10:48 PM

Boucheron? (and thank you for rectifying the layout)

tonight: bowl of carrot soup, then basil-gorgonzola filo purses. The filo, packeted but from a Greek shop was fine. Supermarket filo is one of my pet hates :angry: : foul, leathery texture and tasting of nothing but the sourness of the chemical used as a preservative. Elderly cat ate the crumbs from the plate. He also adores croissant crumbs.

v

authenticity is a fog that recedes just when you think you may be getting near it - R Schonfeld

#4 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 11:47 PM

Left overs from yesterday's Chinese takeaway, chicken with hot pepper sauce and peanuts (Kung Pao) and brown rice. G. is away at a meeting. I always order this when I'm on my own.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#5 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,766 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 12:12 AM

Boucheron?

Errr....Bucheron that is. The log shaped simplistic aged chevre, good for pies and other preparations where it's warmed or melted.
I never said that

#6 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 06:48 AM

Boucheron?

Errr....Bucheron that is. The log shaped simplistic aged chevre, good for pies and other preparations where it's warmed or melted.

Ah right, I was tired and brain not making the right associations :lol:

v

#7 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 03:33 PM

We've been feasting on Morse Pitt's fantastic wintered-over greens, from Union Square. (I'm nearly rabbit-ish these days with the amounts of salads we've eaten. )
Also, there's some lovely turkey sausage available there. I'll find out the name of the producer.
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#8 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 03:39 PM

I love being followed. :wub: :wub: :wub:
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#9 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 03:49 PM

Left overs from yesterday's Chinese takeaway, chicken with hot pepper sauce and peanuts (Kung Pao) and brown rice.

That is my favorite breakfast.
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#10 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 03:50 PM

We've been feasting on Morse Pitt's fantastic wintered-over greens, from Union Square. (I'm nearly rabbit-ish these days with the amounts of salads we've eaten. )
Also, there's some lovely turkey sausage available there. I'll find out the name of the producer.

Liza is in the house!!!!

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#11 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 03:56 PM

Left overs from yesterday's Chinese takeaway, chicken with hot pepper sauce and peanuts (Kung Pao) and brown rice.

That is my favorite breakfast.

I'm not one for cold leftovers, but it's quite good cold too.

#12 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 03:57 PM

Liza is in the house!!!!

It's great to see Liza again.

#13 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 04:03 PM

Liza is in the house!!!!

It's great to see Liza again.

Yes.

And didn't Liza have a baby, who must be quite big by now?

v

#14 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 04:47 PM

Here is Liza's handsome young lad, vacationing in New Mexico (posted with his mother's permission):

Posted Image

-- Francis Mallman

#15 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 04:50 PM

Here is Liza's handsome young lad, vacationing in New Mexico (posted with his mother's permission):

Posted Image

he is even sweeter than when I saw him in Dec :wub: :wub: