19 replies to this topic

#16 GrantK

GrantK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:24 PM

Rick Bayless uses it to advantage (in my opinion) in his version of Pastel de Tres Leches:† an almond genoise from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Cake Bible, brushed with milk, cream, and cajeta.† It is heaven, pure and simple.†

I actually bought his cookbook just for that one recipe. Of course, now it's packed away with my other stuff in storage in Texas. :blink:

Here ya go! How's the rest of the book? Worth getting? I have and like ONE PLATE. . . .

http://www.fronterak...rationcake.html

edit: removed a question I wouldn't have asked had I scrolled down to the bottom of the page before posting and asked a new, better one instead.

Edited by GrantK, 27 April 2005 - 09:27 PM.

Never assume animosity when stupidity could be the cause.
Whichever side you're on, the other side doesn't just have bad ideas, they have to be bad people too.
People like her are always scared. Itís a lonely world when youíre just so damned right and everyone else is so stupid. Thatís why God made cats.
He tended to date high-strung women ó another symptom of his shyness. "Say what you want about them, psychotics tend to make the first move."
When you get over-confident, you get your ass kicked with your own shoes. (Fabio, Top Chef)
They probably drink corporate water.

'Happy Cuatro de Cinco!'

#17 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 05:12 PM

How's the rest of the book? Worth getting? I have and like ONE PLATE

I'm a big fan of Mexican Kitchen... I like it better than One Plate
I'm no longer participating on Mouthfuls, but feel free to visit our blog.

#18 extramsg

extramsg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:16 AM

Bayless's best was his first: Authentic Mexican. But Mexican Kitchen does have a lot of good pieces of wisdom and discussions of ingredients and dishes. One Plate is merely good for a couple of recipes and that's it. I got it on sale at Powell's for $12 new. (See the clearance books link in my sig and do a search for Bayless; there always seem to be a couple Bayless books on sale there.)

btw, anyone ever try to make cajeta with coconut milk instead of milk? I was thinking of trying, but I just don't know if it would work.

#19 fiona

fiona

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:07 PM

Cajeta is something very mexican, and I find it amazing! It's very sweet, but it makes a really great ingredient in a mexican dessert- especially in crepes. Thanks for those who posted up the dessert recipes, I will be trying them out soon!

#20 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE(fiona @ Nov 11 2009, 06:07 AM) View Post
Cajeta is something very mexican, and I find it amazing! It's very sweet, but it makes a really great ingredient in a mexican dessert- especially in crepes. Thanks for those who posted up the dessert recipes, I will be trying them out soon!

Welcome, fiona. If the cajeta brought you here, that's a grand thing!

The Voice of America