Morbid Curiosity

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2005 - 08:25 PM

Do you think they do canned corned-beef hash at the Rickshaw? We could kill 2 birds with one stone!  :)

Hmmm....Karaoke as well? :D

Oh hell, why not. :D :D I bet they have a CBH omelette.

Rocky

#32 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 09:16 PM

Posted Image

Photo is from a strange story in the Seattle Press.
I'm no longer participating on Mouthfuls, but feel free to visit our blog.

#33 christy

christy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 10:10 PM

The Rickshaw used to use quotation marks incorrectly on their signs quite frequently, giving new meaning to what they were trying to say. "Free" coffee with purchase. Best "pie" in town. 2 for 1 "dinner" on tuesdays. etc etc. I'd look forward to that sign every time I drove by.

Elswinger, give Hattie's a try...I like their food a lot (for bar food)-I love that you can order four sides (like sweet potato fries, homemade soup, a decent salad, etc) for $7.95.

#34 malarkey

malarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 03:44 PM

Hi Christy! Welcome to MF!

....It wasn't Ernie Steele's (which I now remember became Eileen's) and it wasn't the Olympic Broiler... I THINK. It was a place downtown, late 80's, and it had the name Steve's or Robert's or some man's name in the restaurant's name... Ring any bells???
I'm looking forward to regretting this.

#35 elswinger

elswinger

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 10:14 PM

I looked at Hattie's menu online and fell asleep! Is there anything they do that is better than the average diner?

#36 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 09:05 PM

I don't know if it looks interesting......more scary I guess. But I'm curious about Bruno's Mexican and Italian joint on 3rd Avenue between Union and Pike. Anyone been?
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#37 christy

christy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 10:28 PM

No place that claims to do Mexican and Italian can do either well. They just can't.

Elswinger-I think Hattie's does the diner stuff well, and perhaps the reason I do like it is that I don't think Seattle has many good diners. When you need a good filling meal for under $10, when you're just in the mood for straightforward American food, and especially when you're going to the Sunset or Tractor later and don't want to stand in the loooong line for La Carta de Oaxaca, it's the place. Avoid breakfast, however.

Malarky-Thanks-I am also Kiliki on the other board.

#38 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2005 - 11:27 PM

I don't know if it looks interesting......more scary I guess. But I'm curious about Bruno's Mexican and Italian joint on 3rd Avenue between Union and Pike. Anyone been?

Yeah, I've been wondering about this place for a little while too. Whenever I go to the symphony I am amazed that they offer a pre-concert meal and am really curious. Do you have time for lunch tomorrow? This might be interesting. I wonder if you can get both Mexican and Italian on the same plate? Anyone else want to venture in?

Rocky

#39 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 06:09 AM

Yeah, I've been wondering about this place for a little while too. Whenever I go to the symphony I am amazed that they offer a pre-concert meal and am really curious. Do you have time for lunch tomorrow? This might be interesting. I wonder if you can get both Mexican and Italian on the same plate? Anyone else want to venture in?

Rocky

That place is kitty-corner from my office and I've been wondering about it as well. I can't do lunch tomorrow, but next week would be a possibility...
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#40 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2005 - 06:33 AM

Jimbo's Family Restaurant in Lynnwood, across Aurora from L&L Hawaiian Barbecue

I saw this place driving up Aurora scouting out places for the taco crawl, and I pulled up to the intersection I saw L&L to my right - Woo-Hoo! - and Jimbo's to my left. The sign proudly proclaims that their food is cooked for you, there is a big non-functioning clock on the sign and they claim the best fish and chips and CBH in town. Hi Anita! So morbid curiosity piqued I went there for dinner tonight as I was in the area running errands. You order at a counter off of a backlit menu that probably dates from the early 70's, are given your number and pick out a table. Dani got the daily special of spaghetti and I had the chicken dinner. The food is all solid diner fare with breakfast served until 3PM so no CBH for me, but I bet it comes out of a can. :o Both meals came with soup or salad, we both opted for the salad with ranch. The salad is bagged iceberg mix and the dressing is that really commercial/industrial kinda runny sort of ranch, something that I really crave on occasion. :o We also split a bowl of the soup of the day, cabbage patch, a sort of thin chili with cabbage that was really tasty. The chicken dinner was fried chicken and my choice of fries or mashed potatoes, and some carrot coins. Teh chicken was awesome! On a scale of one to Ezell's, this was an Ezell's, entirely different batter/breading but still very tasty and the most important thing of all, the oil was not tired and very hot. All of the juices were sealed in and I even ate the breast, and I hate white meat because usually it is so damn dry. The spaghetti was in Dani's words, "oh my god this is like eating my grandmother's spaghetti." It's not high art, but it's homey and solid. The young lady who waited on us was very pleasant and competent and checked back just often enough.

The two dinners, the extra bowl of soup, and a pop came to just $19 and change. We also ordered the Chuckwagon Burger to take home for my brother, which they kept warm right until we walked out the door. When I got home and handed it to my brother I snagged a bite and it was definitely good. After I go back and try more burgers as well as more of the menu there, this place may be worthy of a BOM at some point. Jason, diner food city dude, and you won't get compromised. :o

Rocky

P.S. The gravy on my mashed potatoes was lame and gloppy, but hey, you can't have everything. ;)

#41 Fay Jai

Fay Jai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 03:23 PM

Rocky ---

GAWDDAMN! You dunnit AGAIN!

I've been telling myself that I need to get to Jimbo's for (literally) YEARS.
I'm glad you were the one to give me the rec, my man.

The question is....Have you been to the Acorn Cafe? It is open 24 hrs, you know... :o :o AND, it has a big neon owl to boot... (or to hoot?:D)

I've been there a couple of times, (one, I really just can't remember...sorry :( )
The other, hmmm...its been awhile but 3 things stand out.

1. Mediocre Denny's quality Chicken Fried Steak.

2. Cigarette smoke

3. The clientele and the decor. Seriously, this place had the Twin Peaks vibe down COLD. :o (Ok. I'll admit it. It was a little scary.)

I think I remember a bar, but we were too scared to really venture in too far. Maybe during daylight hours? ;)

Jason
www.bloatitup.com

#42 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 03:39 PM

Bruno's has been around for a long time. I went to lunch there once in the late 80's because my office was not too far from it. I don't remember how the food tasted other than unremarkable (I had Mexican as I recall), but the most memorable thing for me was seeing a bug that was crawling on the upholstery. :o

#43 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 04:59 PM

Rocky

That place is kitty-corner from my office and I've been wondering about it as well. I can't do lunch tomorrow, but next week would be a possibility...

I can't do lunch today either, but next week sounds good to me too!
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#44 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2005 - 05:01 PM

Rocky

I can't do lunch today either, but next week sounds good to me too!

Dang, I'll be out of town next week. If you guys go have fun and let us know how it went.

Rocky

#45 Guest_rockdoggydog_*

Guest_rockdoggydog_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2005 - 05:07 PM

The question is....Have you been to the Acorn Cafe? It is open 24 hrs, you know... ;)  :o  AND, it has a big neon owl to boot... (or to hoot?:()

3. The clientele and the decor. Seriously, this place had the Twin Peaks vibe down COLD. :o  (Ok. I'll admit it. It was a little scary.)

I think I remember a bar, but we were too scared to really venture in too far. Maybe during daylight hours? :D

Jason

Jason,

I have been wondering about the Acorn for quite a while myself. I didn't know it was open 24 hours though, a definite plus. I'm game for trying it out during daylight hours, but would probably have to go back at three or four in the morning. :( I love a good 24 hour place.

Rocky

P.S. Definitely to hoot! :o