#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,611 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 04:56 PM

Wine Spectator has a short article on dining in the area

This red promontory has long been a sacred place for the local Anangu people. Now known by its Aboriginal name, Uluru, it protrudes more than 1,000 feet above the relatively flat, arid plains of central Australia.

Imagine my surprise, then, when I dined at Kuniya, the ace restaurant at Sails in the Desert, the resort's five-star hotel. Christian Andrew, the enthusiastic and talented young chef, ......One bite of his roasted kangaroo—cooked rare, with a delicately sweet and gamy character reminiscent of good venison, nicely set off with a pure, intense pan sauce and a wonderfully fresh-tasting celery root salad—and you know you're in good hands. I'm tempted to say the flavors hop off the plate, but actually it's the juicy textures that stamp this as first-rate fare. A silky, supple De Bortoli Pinot Noir 2003 made a smooth match.

Now, it seems, there's good food everywhere. Australia is quickly catching up to the United States as a leader in New World cuisine.

Andrew scored points with me for his spicy quail consommé, with toothsome, free-form ravioli and fresh peas. Tasmanian scallops were sweet and juicy against a white bean puree, served in the shell with a jaunty slice of chorizo and a tangle of coriander cucumber salad.

The restaurant's short wine list has some nice choices. Most everything is available by the glass, including Devil's Lair Chardonnay 2002 and Annie's Lane Riesling 2004, both outstanding.

Subscription Required

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#2 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 05:22 PM

Babies are best left at home however . . .

#3 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,450 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 06:06 PM

i've eaten there. however, this was at a time when i focused on enjoying food and not obsessively documenting and describing it. in fact in the month or so i spent in australia i don't think i have too many bad meals. of course, i was lucky to be the guest of a party that was staying at the best hotels and eating at the best restaurants (see second sentence above if you want names of said best places).

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#4 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 03:01 PM

I like the comment that Australia is "catching up". :o
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#5 Adam

Adam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 03:58 PM

Cute. Sounds like the reaction of somebody that was expecting the worst and got something reasonable.

What does "promontory" mean in Americanese? To my humble Australian mind it means a headland and this requires are large amounts of water. No so much of this around Uluru.

The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born,
and sets a food discussion site?

#6 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 04:02 PM

Apparently this usage is okay, but I agree that Adam's is more common.

Merriam-Webster:

a : a high point of land or rock projecting into a body of water b : a prominent mass of land overlooking or projecting into a lowland
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#7 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,611 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 04:53 PM

I'd add that, for me, at least, promontory definitely means a projecting headland. Doesn't necessarily imply water, however.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#8 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 05:45 PM

It's clear what he means (or is that just because I've seen pictures) so I have no problem with the usage.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#9 Adam

Adam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 07:04 PM

I blame Lewis and Clark. 'Monolith' is a good word for Uluru.

Wilfrid - Webster, pah! Didn't the 'u' out of colour?

The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born,
and sets a food discussion site?