rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,630 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE(H. du Bois @ Mar 20 2008, 02:00 PM) View Post
QUOTE(rancho_gordo @ Mar 20 2008, 12:25 PM) View Post
Now that I'm on Amazon, how is possible my book, yet to be published, has a rank of #13,013 and this one is at 222,651? I'm just asking!

Because, dear Rancho, your book is available for pre-ordering!

Now, tell us about this book. Will you be doing tours? Will you be coming to New York for book signings? Hmmmm?

and YES! to NY. Hide the good silverware.
And sales have slipped to #35,447.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#32 lovelynugget

lovelynugget

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE(rancho_gordo @ Mar 22 2008, 06:42 PM) View Post

Wonderful! I must have my copy autographed. Are you bringing your entourage? (GalPalJoan!!)

Be sure to wear your big girl panties. The paparazzi here are brutal, and I don't need to see your Brazilianed nibbly bits on PageSix!

#33 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,630 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE(lovelynugget @ Mar 22 2008, 03:49 PM) View Post
QUOTE(rancho_gordo @ Mar 22 2008, 06:42 PM) View Post

Wonderful! I must have my copy autographed. Are you bringing your entourage? (GalPalJoan!!)

Be sure to wear your big girl panties. The paparazzi here are brutal, and I don't need to see your Brazilianed nibbly bits on PageSix!

It's as if you know me better than I know myself! Spooky.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#34 H. du Bois

H. du Bois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:01 PM

He has to learn to keep his knees together when getting out of those pesky limousines.

I'll hide the silver and stockpile the liquor!

#35 lovelynugget

lovelynugget

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE(lovelynugget @ Mar 20 2008, 11:28 AM) View Post
New this month is:
Beyond the Great Wall by Jeffrey Alford & Naomi Duguid

The Alford book looks very interesting. It's Chinese cooking from the interior, Tibet and Mongolia.

Review in the LATimes. Guess I'm getting it.

#36 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:52 PM

though i never got really excited about any of Alford/Duguid books, i'm about to change my mind - the latest one seems good (haven't cooked anything yet from it - don't have an operational kitchen for one more week or so).

oh and the latest Batali's is darn good - just look at grilled piadini and schiacciati (sp)...; the book is mercifully short on red meat recipes and those that are there are quite nontraditional.
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#37 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,630 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE(helena @ Apr 24 2008, 01:52 PM) View Post
oh and the latest Batali's is darn good - just look at grilled piadini and schiacciati (sp)...; the book is mercifully short on red meat recipes and those that are there are quite nontraditional.

Is this a new one or Molto? Or the NASCAR book????!!!!!

#38 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:07 PM

no not NASCAR - The Italian Grill, just came out.
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#39 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,032 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:03 AM

AND, fyi, there's yet another in the works -- it's almost ready for first pass proof, so it should be out in a couple of months. Not sure what the name is, but if you're interested I'll post as soon as I get it.

the people who flock to dine at the restaurant on account of its reputation/stars are getting their money's worth because what they are after is a piece of the reputation/stars and nothing else. their money is not wasted. -- mongo jones, 11/5/2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#40 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,158 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:44 AM

QUOTE(helena @ Apr 24 2008, 03:52 PM) View Post
Alford/Duguid books, i'm about to change my mind - the latest one seems good (haven't cooked anything yet from it - don't have an operational kitchen for one more week or so).

Helena (and others), I also was impressed with what I could learn about this latest book. My copy is being shipped to me as we speak.

. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#41 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:58 AM

NY Times publishes their 2008 Holiday list of cookbooks. I found the tone of the piece quite annoying. And nothing really excites me.

They also gave a list of an additional 25 books.
Future Legacy Participant.

#42 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:28 PM

Ducasse's Nature - highlhy recommended; also the River Cottage Veg everyday...

#43 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,422 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:38 AM

Left at my doorstep today were The Family Meal: Home Cooking with Ferran Adria and Pie It Forward: Pies, Tarts, Tortes, Galettes, and Other Pastries Reinvented by Gesine Bullock-Prado.

I've been especially looking forward to the latter, since the recipes I've seen on her Pie It Forward blog look delicious! I'm hoping to use the picture tutorial for lobster tails to help me with my empanada pastry technique.

#44 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:48 PM

Spirited Reading.
The Art of Fermentation sounds interesting so went ahead and preordered it.

#45 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,235 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:27 PM

Picked up 'Plenty' last week. Love it. I can see myself cooking a lot in this style.