9 replies to this topic

#1 callalla

callalla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:11 AM

Firstly, thanks very much to HRH Queen Elizabeth whose birthday is marked by a public holiday (I love that this doesn't get celebrated in the UK but does here!) that we have just enjoyed. We were out and about a bit this weekend so here are a few of our dining highlights.

1. ichiban boshi - City branch (next to Kinokinuya bookshop at Town Hall). We're more familiar with the Bondi Junction branch as we used to live nearby, but this one, although a bit less of a hole-in-the-wall is just as good. Perfect gyoza with thin crispy skin and gingery filling. Hot (spicy) ramen were good, but the major discovery was 'Tantanmen' - ramen with minced pork and a super-rich broth. Cravings for these noodles will be insurmountable.

2. Napoli in Bocca. Old school Italian in Haberfield. Perfect thin pizza, good pasta, minestrone that puts hair on your chest.

3. Yum Cha at the Dragon Star (formerly Kam Fook) at the top of the Paddy's Market building. We're trying to branch out from our regular - the Regal, but on this showing, while good, there's not enough of an incentive to change. Prawn Dumplings were probably the standout, and the sticky rice was good, but too much pro-activeness was neccessary to get what you wanted. There were only two of us, so we possibly didn't give this place the best chance. Before returning to the Regal, we'll give the Marigold on George St a try.

C'est tout. The SBS Guide to Eating in Sydney has just been released which has heaps of great tips which we're planning to follow up on in the coming months.

#2 Pret a Manger

Pret a Manger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:38 AM

:) you made me weep how I miss Australia :D
Life!! What's life!? Just nature's way of keeping meat fresh! - Dr. Who

#3 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for that. Keep us posted.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#4 backstory

backstory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:03 PM

Any suggestions for Sydney?
Is Napoli in Bocca still around and where is Haberfield?

Will also be in NZ - Queenstown and Christ Church.

Thanks
In the end, it's all a rental. - hollywood

#5 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:00 PM

I have posted a lot about Sydney in my time, but I guess that pre-dates Mouthfuls.

Are you looking for upscale or casual? I can dig out suggestions on the former (although how I can afford to eat at upscale restaurants in other countries is apparently a mystery).
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#6 backstory

backstory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:51 PM

I have posted a lot about Sydney in my time, but I guess that pre-dates Mouthfuls.

Are you looking for upscale or casual? I can dig out suggestions on the former (although how I can afford to eat at upscale restaurants in other countries is apparently a mystery).

Thank you, Wilfrid.
We are going to be there for 3 nights and staying near the harbor. Something eclectic with options for vegetarians would be nice. Let's say casual to upscale :blink:

#7 mcduff

mcduff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:00 PM

Napoli in Bocca is still around - they had a refurb recently but it's still very much checked tablecloths and big plates of pizza and pasta (great gnocchi). One thing I do find there is that you can have very hit and miss experiences with service - it doesn't bother me greatly, but if you or your dining compadres will find this annoying, you might want to try one of the other italian restaurants in Haberfield. I can't remember the names of the others that are nearby and are generally recommended, if you can get hold of the SBS Eating Guide to Sydney you'll be able to find them all. - There is one, La Disfida, which is touted as having the best pizza (thin, 'authentic' etc) that I did not find so great (too much sauce). Anyway, if you are staying anywhere around Haberfield, it's good for food and if you're there in the daytime, Sulfaros is wonderful for cakes/pastries - the whole set up of the shop makes you feel like you're in Italy, and you can have a coffee and sit outside.

Haberfield is in the 'Inner West' probably about 20 minutes or so in a cab from the CBD. It's neighbouring suburb, Leichhardt (where I live) is also a very Italian neighbourhood with tons of restaurants on Norton St (Portofino is our fave) and a good buzz on a Saturday night.

#8 backstory

backstory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:36 PM

Do they have a branch in the city? Any other recommendation for good Italian in the city? I *live* in the suburbs, don't want to leave the city when I visit:-)

#9 mcduff

mcduff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:58 AM

Hola. No branch in the city that I'm aware of and I'm afraid that I never eat Italian in town - I know that there are a few pretty upscale places e.g. Machiavelli's (where the politicians hang out), and a place called Buon Ricordo that has a great reputation, but I've never been.

#10 backstory

backstory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:59 PM

Noted, will check them out! Thanks.