2100 replies to this topic

#1741 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,339 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:29 AM

Went to the Orpheum Theatre downtown last night to see The Magnetic Fields.
They seemed pretty low key compared to prior instances when I'd see them, but still good. Tending to avoid songs from their opus '69 Love Songs'. Sad that they worry about being seen as a greatest hits band in light of the superiority of that 3 CD set to some of their other work. In terms of live performance, Shirley Simms seems to be taking over the group. As good as she is, I think she lends too much bluegrass flavor to the group somewhat to its overall detriment.

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#1742 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:39 PM

Whoa, I forgot to post about Soulfarm on Purim night. Israeli/Middle East gypsy-influenced jam band with a rockin' cellist. What more could you want? I will definitely see these guys again when I get the chance. Review & pix here.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#1743 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,543 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:36 AM

After a couple of weeks of preperatory concerts throughout the City, tonight was the opening concert of Carnegie Hall's "American Maverick" Festival proper.

I'm not here to talk about the concert, though. I'm here to talk about the afterparty.

I walked into the space that used to be Le Bar Bat hungry and worried there wasn't going to be any food. No, wait: there's a table in the middle of the room! Let's see what's on it: Grilled cheese sandwiches. Orecchiette with cheese sauce. Pizza. And -- a vegetable! -- French Fries.

Is Carnegie Hall trying to kill its listener base?

(At least someone had the grace to send over a very beautiful intern to chat with me.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#1744 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,059 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:52 AM

The Joe Krown Trio with Joe Krown, Walter "Wolfman" Washington and Russell Batiste Jr at Sullivan Hall. For 2 hours you swear you are in New Orleans.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#1745 IanT

IanT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

"Planetarium" at Barbican last night, a collaboration between Sufjan Stevens (who you suspect was rather the leading force in this endeavour), Nico Muhly (composer) and Bryce Dessner (The National). Dessner and Stevens are old compadres and have worked together in the past, apparently Muhly has long been part of their gang also (the programme notes referred to the three of them as a "school").

The first half of the show consisted of older string quarter pieces written by each of the trio. Dessner's was odd, his guitar pretty lost alongside the quartet. Muhly's was pleasant, minimalist but not all that interesting. Stevens was nice while it lasted, just a 4 minute excerpt from Run Rabbit Run. As an aside, I've never seen so many people asleep during a concert. The guy next to my (sleeping) wife had his head back and mouth so far open I was afraid snores were on the way. Lets put it partly down to it being the end of a long Easter weekend.

The second half was "Planetarium" proper - a song cycle for seven trombones and string quartet. A song for each of the planets in the solar system plus the sun and moon. Identifiably recent-era Sufjan with some proggy thrash-outs and lots of use of the (pretty awful) Vocoder. Poor old Bryce Dessner didn't seem to have much to do, its hard to hear a guitar over seven trombones. Still, it certainly woke people up. But some lovely songs for all that, particularly when Sufjan put the Vocoder to one side. Neptune, Jupiter and especially Mercury were my highlights. To some extent I have to share my wife's view though - "I wish he'd ditch the electro and go back to making beautiful albums about the US states".

#1746 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,055 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

Cementing, even for myself, the idea that I've definitely gotten very old, we've now bought tickets for summer concerts at the Rubin Museum by Tom Paxton and then Tom Rush. I wonder if I'll get a chance to ask either about The Beatles' influence on their music back when.

This space available… contact owner.

#1747 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,543 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

They're exactly what would have been left WITHOUT the Beatles.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#1748 aek

aek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:09 AM

I'm having terrible luck with Mahler audiences. Still tonight was a good reminder of why I deal with it.

#1749 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,543 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:17 AM

Another ringing phone alarm?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#1750 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,543 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:21 AM

Dessner and Stevens are old compadres and have worked together in the past, apparently Muhly has long been part of their gang also (the programme notes referred to the three of them as a "school").

And yet Mongo insists that the National is more a Midwestern band than a Brooklyn band. (I know that Nico lives on the other side of the river from the rest of the "school" -- but we all let him hang out in Brooklyn anyway.)

Indeed, the Dressner brothers are curating a three-day festival of the Brooklyn "school's" music at BAM (the Midwestern Academy of Music) next month. But the National isn't really a Brooklyn band.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#1751 aek

aek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:53 AM

Another ringing phone alarm?

No, not that bad fortunately. Just localized idiots around me this time. E.g., constant whisperers in the row behind me, and a lot of zippering and key jingling (seriously I have no idea why the fuck anyone would need their keys before at least the stairway.) And then the people in front of me decided that the hymn at the end was a good time to put their glasses and binoculars into their (zippered) bag so they could make it to the door quickly; they were sitting on the aisle.

Writing about it after the fact, I guess it seems whiny, but whatever. I guess I just wonder why people even bother going if they're just going to text, chat, masturbate or whatever for two hours and then also need to be the first to the door. The funniest quote on the NYTimes after the cell phone was something like, "The only time I go to the concert hall anymore is to remind myself how it sounds so I can adjust the settings on my excellent hi-fi system." I'm unfortunately nearing that point, but maybe just for AFH. The Ushers at Carnegie Hall tend to be much more active (maybe even over active), but I think if people see them shush someone early on it sets an example for the rest of the night.

My Mahler 2 was more humorous than anything else. The "first clappers" got a bit faked out before the first movement recapitulation and actually dragged enough people along with them to keep going for a solid 20 seconds. Good fun.

#1752 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,892 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

I saw two great shows in the past couple of weeks. Both were artists that I've listened to for a long time but had never seen live.

First was Rodrigo y Gabriela. They are some crazy guitarists and their energy on stage is fantastic. Gabriela especially - she pogo'd across the stage for most of the show. My friend called her Tigger with a guitar.

Next was Andrew Bird. We had great seats, third row center, and that allowed us to see all the nuances of his performance. He's like a musician for nerds. I love him!
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#1753 Heather

Heather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

Just discovered to my dismay that the ticket I bought for Paul Weller on 5/19 is actually for 5/18, and I can't go. One of the handful of musicians that I've never seen & always wanted to. Damn. I might try to sell it, but the horror of Craigslist NYC is strong.

And I have to cancel my trip to Bonnaroo.

Coming up in DC: Ted Leo, Justin Townes Earle, Lucinda Williams w/ Drive-By Truckers, Carolina Chocolate Drops, M83, EMA, Spiritualized, & Matthew Sweet.

#1754 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

Just discovered to my dismay that the ticket I bought for Paul Weller on 5/19 is actually for 5/18, and I can't go. One of the handful of musicians that I've never seen & always wanted to. Damn. I might try to sell it, but the horror of Craigslist NYC is strong.

Coming up in DC: Ted Leo, Justin Townes Earle, Lucinda Williams w/ Drive-By Truckers, Carolina Chocolate Drops, M83, EMA, Spiritualized, & Matthew Sweet.

You're keeping busy! Nice! I'd love to see that Lucinda Willians / DBT show, have to check the schedules up here.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#1755 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,892 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

Matthew Sweet - I used to love him and haven't listened to him in years. Thanks for the heads up. He's playing in Seattle later this month so I can try and get tix!
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM