115 replies to this topic

#31 GourmetLight$

GourmetLight$

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:11 PM

:rolleyes: The recipe for the ribs is just below. The only change I made was to add about a tablespoon of the squirty tomato paste and a couple sprinkles of cinnamon. I also lightly dusted the ribs with Wondra before browning.

I made traditional long-cooking stone ground polenta, but in chicken stock instead of water. Threw in a couple of handfuls of freshly-grated parmigiano reggiano, a couple pats of butter, and finished with a couple ounces of heavy cream. The creamier the better, right?:blush:

SHORT RIBS BRAISED IN ANCHO CHILE SAUCE
Inspired by chef Robert Del Grande of Cafe Annie, in Houston, we combine the succulence of short ribs with the bitter undertones of coffee and the mellow heat of two kinds of chiles, along with maple syrup and lime juice to cut the spiciness. We recommend serving these meltingly tender ribs over soft polenta.

4 dried ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded, and ribs discarded
2 cups boiling-hot water
1 medium onion, quartered
3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo plus 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon salt
6 lb beef short ribs or flanken (I used flanken; thanks Judy for the pronunciation!)
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup brewed coffee (I used about of cup of strong coffee)

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Soak ancho chiles in boiling-hot water until softened, about 20 minutes, then drain in a colander set over a bowl. Taste soaking liquid: It will be a little bitter, but if unpleasantly so, discard it; otherwise, reserve for braising. Transfer ancho chiles to a blender and purée with onion, garlic, chipotles with sauce, maple syrup, lime juice, and 1 teaspoon salt.

Pat ribs dry and sprinkle with pepper and remaining 2 teaspoons salt. Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then brown ribs in 3 batches, turning occasionally, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer as browned to a roasting pan just large enough to hold ribs in 1 layer.

Carefully add chile purée to fat remaining in skillet (it will spatter and steam) and cook over moderately low heat, stirring frequently, 5 minutes. Add reserved chile soaking liquid (or 1 1/2 cups water) and coffee and bring to a boil, then pour over ribs (liquid should reach about halfway up sides of meat).

Cover roasting pan tightly with foil and braise ribs until very tender, 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Skim fat from pan juices. Serve ribs with pan juices.

Cooks' note:
Ribs improve in flavor if braised 2 days ahead. Cool completely, uncovered, then chill, ribs covered directly with parchment or wax paper and roasting pan covered with foil. Remove any solidified fat before reheating.

Makes 6 servings.
Gourmet
Features
January 2006; originally published 2003
Carolyn
~~~~~

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
J.R.R. Tolkien

#32 Della

Della

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 07:26 PM

Sorry I took so long to get this posted. Here is the recipe for the "Seared Sea Scallops with Carrot-Marjoram Sauce" that Greg and I prepared. The recipe is from the Herbfarm Cookbook. We love herbs :wub: I tripled the sauce recipe just cause I was feeling crazy- what follows is the actual recipe - should serve 4.

Sauce:
2 cups fresh carrot juice
1/2 cup dry white wine or vermouth
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 medium shallot, finely chopped (about 1/3 of a cup)
1/4 teaspoon of salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temp, cut into 8 pieces
8 3-inch sprigs of fresh marjoram, tied together with kitchen twine

Other ingrediants:
1 1/2 lbs large sea scallops (about 12 - 16), untreated
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil

Combine the carrot juice, 1/4 cup of the wine, the lemon juice, shallots and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat so that you keep a steady boil and cook until about 1/2 cup of liquid remains and the sauce resembles pulpy orange juice. This should take about 20 - 30 minutes. (this part can be made ahead of time and either left on the stove for up to 2 hours (off heat) or stored in the frigde for up to 2 days).

Reduce heat to medium so the sauce is gently simmering - or if you did it ahead of time, bring up to a gentle simmer - and wisk in the butter, one piece at a time, waiting till each piece is melted and incorporated fully before adding another. Suace should thicken just enough to coat back of a spoon. Return sauce to simmer, wisk constantly and then drop in the marjoram and remove from heat. Let the herbs infuse the sauce while you cook the scallops.

Preheat oven to 175 degrees. This is so as you cook the scallops you can put them on a warming plate to stay warm in the oven while you finish the sauce. Pat scallops dry, lightly add salt and pepper. Heat oil in heavy bottomed skillet until hot and smoking and sear them: 2 -3 minutes on one side, then maybe 1 - 2 minutes on the other. Transpofre them to the warm platter in the oven and reduce the heat under the pan to medium. Deglaze with the reserved 1/4 cup of wine, scrape up any browned bits and add liquid to the carrot mixture.

Remove the marjoram from the carrot juice (squeezing any and all lovely juice from it into the sauce) and discard. Bring the sauce back up to medium heat, wisking constantly. Taste and season with additonal salt and pepper if needed. If you want it to be completely smooth you can strain through a very fine strainer. If the sauce seperates just blend with an immersion blender for a second (or the regular blender and just whiz for a few seconds).

Plate your scallops and pour the sauce over them. Enjoy!

Subsitutions: You can trade out the marjoram for an equal amount of French Tarragon or frech lemon thyme or 2 3-inch sprigs of lovage.

You can also trade out the carrot juice for beet juice. Beet juice become syrupy as it reduces, bild the reductions to 3/4 of a cup instead of a 1/2 cup as you do the carrot juice. If the sauce is a bit too sweet, just add some more lemon juice.

#33 Della

Della

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 05:53 PM

Here is the recipe for the spicy cabbage that Greg and I brought to Lauren and Paul's Mac & Cheese cook-off.

"Spicy Red Cabbage with Apple and Cilantro"

1/2 medium head of red cabbage (about 1 lb)
2 tbls veg oil
1/2 tsp dried red pepper flakes
1 large or 2 small apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4 inch dice
**(I use granny smith apples)
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
1 1/2 tbls sugar
3/4 tsp salt
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1 cup coarsly chopped fresh cilantro

Cut the cabbage in half and cut out the cores. Slice the cabbage very thin. It is best if you can get it about 1/8 of in inch thick or less - using a mandoline, food processor or cabbage shredder.

Heat the oil with the pepper flakes in a large (12 inch) skillet. Add the apple and cook, stirring for about a minute. Add the cabbage and toss with tongs to coat it with the hot oil. Add the lime juice, sugar and salt, cover pan and lower heat. Cook about 5 - 10 minutes until cabbage is tender. Add the green onion and cilantro and toss with tongs. Taste and season with additional salt or sugar if needed. Enjoy!!!

#34 scarlett

scarlett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 06:14 PM

Hey everyone. I'm glad you liked the Frozen Lemon Soufflés. This is a Sue McCown recipe that I picked up in one of her classes. She emphasizes changing the juice to whatever you like. I was thinking of infusing the liquid with ginger might be a nice touch....

Anyway, here's the recipe:

Frozen Soufflé
by Sue McCown, head pastry chef
Earth & Ocean, Seattle, WA

1 1/2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1 cup water
2/3 cup juice (lemon, lime, cranberry, mango,
passionfruit, o.j.)
whites from 3 eggs
1/2 pint (1 cup) whipping cream

In a large saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and
gelatin; add water and juice. Over medium heat, cook
and stir until slightly thickened. Cool. Chill until
partially set, about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

In a small mixer bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but
not dry (wet and shiny); fold into chilled juice
mixture.

In another small bowl, beat whipping cream until stiff
peaks form; fold into juice mixture.

Tape or tie 3" waxed paper or foil "collar" securely
around rim of ramekins. Pour mixture into dish.
Freeze 6 hours or overnight.*

Remove "collar". Garnish with whipped cream.

* Originally presented to me in egg cups. I
personally like the smaller vessel (as opposed to a ramekin).
Note: One batch made about 36 of the 1 oz. shot glass-sized
portions. The shot glasses can be purchased at Cash N' Carry
in the party supply isle.
Traca
Seattle, WA

blog: Seattle Tall Poppy
Examiner.com - Seattle Food Scene

#35 artzygirl

artzygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 11:41 PM

Hi all,

The recipe for the spiced pumpkin cheese cake is from The New Best Recipe: America's Test Kitchen/Editors of Cook's Illustrated. It's too long to type here, so if you'd like the recipe, pls PM me w/your home address and I will snail mail you a copy. I have included the bourbon cream topping recipe here (which is also in the same book) becuz it's short and I think that was the best part of my dessert! I think it would be great on all sorts of things...fruit, pecan pie, oatmeal... :unsure:

Brown Sugar and Bourbon Cream
1 c. heavy cream
1/2 c. sour cream
1/3 c. packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons bourbon

Whisk the first three ingredients together. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours. When ready to serve, add the bourbon and beat the mixture on medium speed for about 40 seconds and then on high speed for a minute or two until it's fluffy and had doubled in volume.
"To live a creative life, we must lose the fear of being wrong."
Joseph Chilton Pearce

#36 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 12:03 AM

Thank you for posting recipes. :unsure:

artzygirl... I discovered online Here is a link to the Cook's Illustrated recipe for Spiced Pumpkin Cheese Cake with Brown Sugar and Bourbon Cream that you made. Looks delicious!!

edit to add, also found that America's Test Kitchen will also give the recipe online, along with other America's Test Kitchen recipes, with free registration... Here

#37 MySiuMai

MySiuMai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 12:21 AM

Here is the raw carrot and beet salad I brought to the Mac n' Cheese fest. It comes courtesy of The Mayo Clinic/Williams Sonoma Cookbook. It sounds spartan, but it's pretty darned tasty, if I do say so myself. And does it get any easier than this?

By the way, as I type this, I'm enjoying the beet tops with some collards and ham hocks. Yum!

Herbed Carrot and Beet Salad

8 carrots, peeled and shredded
3 beets, peeled and shredded
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
1/3 cup rice vinegar

Combine carrots, beets, garlic, and cilantro. Add rice vinegar and toss to mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour to allow the flavors to marry.

Serves 6.
My Webpage

"If the gelatin is properly chilled, it will resist the Twinkies. You will push them in; they will slowly rise. It is a tense moment, like the scene in Psycho when Tony Perkins tries to sink Janet Leigh's car."

Jane and Michael Stern, Square Food

#38 GourmetLight$

GourmetLight$

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 12:53 AM

:unsure: Here's a cut/paste of Scott's email instructions to me re: the old Blue Onion Bistro's mac-n-cheez:

So easy...

1 pound shredded cheddar
14-16 oz heavy cream

big batch

5 pound bag cheddar (cash n carry)
1 half gallon heavy cream

3 cup blue cheese

cooked pasta which has been thoroughly drained (as dry as you can get
it)

in sauce on low cook and stir. (If you have a small stick blender use
that at the end for more air

Add one cup blue cheese crumbles or any special cheese you wish.

Cool mixture (will become like a big vat of cheese whiz) or mix with
pasta immediately

Season with kosher salt (pepper if desired)

add cheese and minced chive on top for presentation

The secrets:

Use tillamook cheddar (I used sharp cheddar from Trader Joe's)

best blue is Salmon Valley from Idaho or a mild blue (I used Crumbled Salem Blue from Trader Joe's)

the only pasta is rustichella abbruzio (larrys market) Torchio..all
other brands are garbage (unfortunately, I didn't feel like going to Larry's, so I used my old stand-by: Barilla Campanelle, because it's the right shape)

Scott

If you need more precise instructions, even though they changed the original recipe quite a bit, here's the link to his recipe as published in Bon Appetit:

http://www.epicuriou...ws/views/107867

Cheers,
Carolyn
~~~~~

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
J.R.R. Tolkien

#39 artzygirl

artzygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:53 AM

Leslie,

Thanks so much for pulling up the cheesecake recipe link, in case anyone needs it. I never thought to look for their website. We missed you and Jan last night. Hope you are both feeling better!
Nanc
"To live a creative life, we must lose the fear of being wrong."
Joseph Chilton Pearce

#40 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 05:59 PM

Here is the 'wendy stewart' white mac and cheese recipe, with my alterations:

Macaroni and Cheese

Serves 12
You can easily divide this recipe in half: Use a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish.

8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for dish

6 slices good white bread, crusts removed, torn into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces

5 1/2 cups milk

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste

4 1/2 cups grated sharp white cheddar cheese(about 18 ounces)

2 cups grated Gruyère cheese(about 8 ounces)

1 pound penne noodles

1. Heat oven to 375°. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish; set aside. Place bread in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Pour butter into bowl with bread, and toss. Set breadcrumbs aside.

2. In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat milk. Melt remaining 6 tablespoons butter in a high-sided skillet or large saucepan over medium heat. When butter bubbles, add flour. Cook, whisking, 1 minute.

3. While whisking, slowly pour in hot milk. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick.

4. Remove pan from heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, 3 cups cheddar cheese, and 1 1/2 cups Gruyère; set cheese sauce aside.

5. Fill a large saucepan with water; bring to a boil. Add macaroni; cook 2 to 3 minutes less than manufacturer's directions, until the outside of pasta is cooked and the inside is underdone. (Different brands of macaroni cook at different rates; be sure to read the instructions.) Transfer macaroni to a colander, rinse under cold running water, and drain well. Stir macaroni into the reserved cheese sauce

6. Pour mixture into prepared dish. Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup Gruyère or 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano, and breadcrumbs over top. Bake until browned on top, about 30 minutes. Transfer dish to a wire rack to cool 5 minutes; serve hot.

Wendy

ps- made this again this weekend for friends and added about 1/2 cup white wine. This made it taste like fondue mac and cheese! :unsure:
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#41 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,896 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 05:36 PM

Here's my recipe for the Green Chile Mac and Cheese. Paul and I had this at The Roaring Fork restaurant in Austin, where it was served in the little Staub roasters as a side dish to their rib eye steak. We loved it so much we bought the restaurants cook book (American Western Cooking from the Roaring Fork by Robert McGrath) so we could make it at home. I could tell just by reading the recipe that the one in the book was nothing like the one in the restaurant. Don't you hate it when that happens. After much trial (and a few errors) here is the final version.

2 T Corn Oil (I used unrefined for more flavor)
1/2 C Diced Poblano Chile (I could only find Pasilla's locally, I'm told they are very similar)
1/2 C Diced Red Onion
2 T Minced Garlic
8 Oz. Elbow Macaroni, cooked
1 C Roasted, Peeled and Pureed Pablano/Pasillo Chile (It takes about 4 chiles to get 1 cup)
1 1/2 C Half and Half
1 C Grated Pepper Jack Cheese
1/2 C Cubed Velvetta

Heat the corn oil over medium heat (you can go higher if you aren't using unrefined) and saute the diced chile, red onion and garlic until it's very tender, not browned.

Add the hot, cooked macaroni, chile puree, half and half and both cheeses. Lower to medium low heat and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#42 christy

christy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 10:39 PM

That sounds fantastic but about the peppers: A poblano is a dark green, fresh chili, while a pasilla is a dried chilaca pepper, smoky and brownish-black. I do see poblanos mislabeled as pasillas sometimes here in Seattle (I have no idea why-they aren't similar at all)-so is that what you used? The fresh poblano, rather than the dried pasilla?

#43 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,896 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 11:38 PM

A poblano is a dark green, fresh chili, while a pasilla is a dried chilaca pepper, smoky and brownish-black.

Hmmm, a mystery. After I could only find Pasilla's, I looked them up in Mesa Mexicana by Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger which said "Poblanos....are a medium-sized thick-skinned wide-shouldered sometimes spicy chile....In some parts of the country they are mis-labled pasillas, which are lighter green and skinnier." I did a google search and found instances where a recipe called for either a poblano or a pasilla chile, so I gathered both Poblanos and Pasillas were a fresh, green chile. The pasillas I bought in Seattle (at Whole Foods, QFC and Larry's Market) were all fresh green chile's.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#44 christy

christy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 11:49 PM

Thanks, so it must be a poblano. I double checked with Rick Bayless and Mark Miller (or their books, anyway) and they confirm pasilla is the dried chili I was imagining. I also found a bit in Marilyn Tausend's Cocina de la Familia that said fresh pasillas-chilacas-look as your source describes, long, green and skinny, but she says they are almost impossible to find. She also says poblanos are often mislabeled as pasilla-I wonder why.

#45 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 12:31 AM

In Seattle, fresh Pasilla chiles = fresh Poblano chiles. I know because I went through the poblano/pasilla query some months ago when my recipe for Chiles Relenos called for charring fresh Poblanos and I could only find fresh Pasillas, including in our Mexican grocery stores. Our local regular and Mexican grocery stores (ie. Guadalupe in Burien) label them as Pasilla. I reconfirmed with the Mexican grocers that their fresh Pasilla chiles = fresh Poblanos.