• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#46 TallDrinkOfWater

TallDrinkOfWater

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 06:03 PM

This was my submission in the Union 2006 Chili Cook-Off. Wendy and I have made this several times before -- she found the original recipe -- and we've made just a few tweaks to make it better over time.

This is mostly the Spicy Red Pork and Bean Chili recipe at Epicurious (originally from Gourmet magazine), with some modifications.

I've reproduced the recipe below, but included the changes we've made along with a few notes:

1/2 lb sliced thick-cut bacon (the smokier the better)
4 lb boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (the original recipe calls for 1-inch cubes; 1/2 inch makes all the difference, since it results in 8 [!!] times as many pieces of pork, thereby nicely permeating the whole dish with small lumps of porky goodness. Also, there's more surface area that gets browned, resulting in more Maillard reaction flavoring)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped (more flavorful that the white called for in the original)
2 fresh jalapeño chiles, seeded and chopped
4-5 large garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
1/3 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne (double that called for in the original)
14 oz beef broth
1 cup brewed coffee (I used very strongly brewed espresso-roast coffee)
1 bottle good beer (I happened to use Drop Top Amber -- any strongly flavored amber or brown is probably good. The original recipe calls for water here instead -- the beer makes a big difference)
28- to 32-oz can crushed tomatoes with purée
2 (19-oz) cans small red beans or kidney beans, rinsed and drained

Accompaniments: toasted salted pumpkin seeds [haven't tried these with it], chopped red onion, torn fresh cilantro sprigs, diced avocado, lime wedges, sour cream, and warmed corn chips or tortilla chips

Cook bacon in a 6- to 8-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, turning, until crisp. Transfer with tongs to paper towels to drain and pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat from pot. Crumble bacon. Pat pork dry and season with salt and pepper. Add oil to pot and heat over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Brown pork in about 6 batches without crowding and transfer with a slotted spoon to a plate. Add onion and jalapeños and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened [scraping up all the brown bits from the bacon and pork when you do this!!]. Add garlic, oregano, chili powder, cumin, and cayenne, then cook, stirring, 1 minute. Return pork to pot with any juices accumulated on plate and add broth, coffee, beer, and tomatoes with purée.

Simmer chili, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until pork is very tender, about 3 hours [original recipe calls for 2 hours -- with the extra liquid (a full bottle of beer, rather than the 1 cup water asked for originally) the extra hour or so was definitely needed]. Stir in beans and bring to a simmer, stirring.

Serve chili with bacon and accompaniments.

This makes about a gallon -- I doubled it for the chili cook-off. Cutting 8 pounds of pork into uniform 1/2-inch cubes took a long time, but was well worth the effort!

[edited to fix a typo]
"Let's get down to business. For the gin connoisseur, a Martini garnish varies by his or her mood. Need a little get-up-and-go?---lemon twist. Wednesday night and had a half-tough day at the office?---olive. Found out you're gonna have group sex with Gwen Stefani and Scarlett Johansson at midnight?---pour yourself a pickled onion Gibson Martini at 8:00, sharp." - Lonnie Bruner, DC Drinks

#47 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:08 PM

Chanterelle soup

1 lb chanterelles (cleaned & shredded into manageable bite sizes)
sautee in 1/2 c. white wine

then add 2 c. good gelatinous stock (veal, duck etc)
1 c. heavy cream
1/2 c. brandy
1/2 c. cognac

bring to a boil, simmer for 1 hour.
set aside a few small pretty chanterelles to lay on top of plated soup
puree the rest
salt to taste & serve garnished w/reserved chanterelles.

Note: If using chantrelles that were frozen after sauteeing in butter, just add 1/3 c. wine with the rest of the alcohol, and it might be better to skip the cream initially and then add just 1/2 c. or so towards the end.

you can also, if working from fresh chantrelles, skip the pureeing altogether.
A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#48 artzygirl

artzygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 01:17 AM

My contribution to the Liquored Up Soiree....

Vodka Soaked Tomatoes (aka Mini Bloody Marys that can be consumed while driving) :P

A 750 ml bottle of vodka - I used a medium-priced vodka. I doubt you’d taste the difference with something like Gray Goose or Belvedere, so don’t use anything too expensive.

Sugar (see quantities below)
White wine vinegar (see quantities below)
2 large lemons
3 pints of grape tomatoes
Fresh, cracked, black pepper
Kosher salt (or sea salt)
4 Serrano chili peppers (3 used just for garnish)

I divvied the vodka up as detailed below to make two batches of different flavors. The pepper version was far more popular than the lemon version, even with people who don’t claim to like spicy, peppery foods.

Batch one: In a sealable Tupperware container, combine 2 c. of vodka, 12 tablespoons of white wine vinegar and 4 tablespoons of sugar. Stir until dissolved. Add at least three good pinches of red pepper flakes and one Serrano chili pepper cut in half, lengthwise with the seeds left in.

Batch two: In a sealable Tupperware container, combine 1.5 cups of vodka, 9 tablespoons of white wine vinegar and 3 tablespoons of sugar. Stir until dissolved. Add three or four lemon slices.

Wash the tom’s and pierce three holes in each with a wooden skewer or toothpick. Dry them and divvy them up between the two batches and let them soak overnight. I soaked mine for about 24 hours. When I drained the vodka there was a lot left (the tom’s really didn’t seem to soak up very much despite being very tasty), so technically you could probably use a lot more tom’s or reduce the ingredients portions accordingly. I suspect one batch of the vodka mixture alone mixed separated with the two flavoring add-ins would accommodate three pints of tom’s, but you’d have monitor and stir them more. With these amounts they were fully submerged and I didn’t have to fuss w/them. Also, before serving I just poured the vodka down the drain w/o thinking. Duh…I should have saved it for flavored martinis! Again, glad I didn’t use the “good stuff”!

Wipe the chili batch a bit w/a paper towel after draining, to remove any Serrano seeds or red pepper flakes that may have stuck to the tom’s. I plated them in two separate bowls (would that be I “bowled” them??) :P and put a few fresh lemon slices in one bowl and three Serranos tied together in the other, so people knew which was which. Also, they’re best when served nice and chilly, so a bowl of ice under each would be a nice touch.

Dipping salts:

I put out a small bowl of kosher salt (sea salt would be nice, too) and one that was the zest of two large lemons, some kosher salt and some fresh cracked pepper. Everyone loved the latter with both versions of the tom’s. I don’t know the ratios…play around with it. I likely used equal amounts of zest and salt and pepper to taste. Someone on Epicurious suggested kosher salt mixed with Trader Joe’s 21 Seasoning Salute mix. I’m not familiar with this item, but half the fun is playing with the dipping salt options, so use your imagination! These were fun and super easy, and I’d make them again in a heartbeat.
"To live a creative life, we must lose the fear of being wrong."
Joseph Chilton Pearce

#49 MySiuMai

MySiuMai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:06 AM

From the "liquored-up" fest:

Mushroom Strudel, from Bernard Clayton's "Cooking Across America"

20 sheets phyllo dough
1/2 cup onion, cut into quarter-inch dice
3 TBLSP (for saute) plus 2 sticks (for brushing on phyllo) unsalted butter
1 lb. mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/4 cup sherry
1 tsp. salt
8 oz. room temp. cream cheese
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup chopped parsley
2 minced garlic cloves
Juice and zest of one lemon
1 tsp. dried dill
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 cup (approx.) bread crumbs

Thaw phyllo according to package directions.

Saute onion in 3 tblsp. of butter til soft. Add mushrooms and cook for six minutes. Stir in sherry and salt and cook until mostly absorbed. Remove from heat and drain excess moisture through a sieve...but do not press.

Return mixture to skillet. Cut cream cheese into small cubes and add to the mushroom mixture. Stir until melted. Stir in the remaining ingredients (except bread crumbs).

Then stir in the bread crumbs with care. Do not overload and make the mixture too dry. Keep it moist. Cool slightly before assembly in phyllo.

Preheat oven to 375.

Create two strudels, each with ten layers of phyllo: brush melted butter between each pastry layer. Then spoon and spread half of the mushroom mixture into each strudel, leaving a 2-inch margin at the phyllo edges.

Roll up the phyllo and squeeze the ends tight. Place seam-side down on a greased baking sheet. Brush the top of each strudel with melted butter.

Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
My Webpage

"If the gelatin is properly chilled, it will resist the Twinkies. You will push them in; they will slowly rise. It is a tense moment, like the scene in Psycho when Tony Perkins tries to sink Janet Leigh's car."

Jane and Michael Stern, Square Food

#50 Ling

Ling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:28 PM

Here's what I'm bringing to Wendy and Dayne's cocktail party...though I confess I've been cleaned out of Valrhona Guanaja for 2 weeks now and I can't get any more in Vancouver due to some import dispute going on?!! So I had to use some Callebaut in yesterday's batch.

Ling's Favourite Brownies
I've used both Scharffen Berger and Valrhona for this recipe. Use whichever chocolate you like, as long as it's of good quality.

5 oz unsweetened Scharffen Berger chocolate
3 oz bittersweet (70%) Scharffen Berger or Valrhona Guanaja
2 c granulated sugar
1 c butter
1 T vanilla extract
4 eggs
1 c flour (dip and sweep)
2 T cocoa powder (preferably Valrhona)
1/2 tsp salt

1. Melt the butter and both types of chocolate over medium heat in a saucepan.

2. Beat eggs in mixing bowl with a hand mixer on high speed for 4 minutes, until pale.

3. Gradually add sugar and vanilla extract.

4. Temper the eggs with the chocolate mixture, then add all of the mixture into the bowl.

5. Slowly incorporate the flour, salt, and cocoa. Beat the batter vigorously with a wooden spoon for about 30 seconds until the batter looks shiny.

6. Pour batter into an ungreased, non-stick pan (I use a 9" cake round, and this fits perfectly.) Smooth the top of the batter.

7. Bake in a pre-heated 325 degree oven for approximately 25 minutes (there should be moist crumbs on the skewer when testing for doneness).

I glazed the top with ganache...just your standard recipe with about 6 oz. dark chocolate to 3/4 cup heavy cream and 1.5 tbsp butter (I just eyeballed everything). Then I swirled it with some white chocolate ganache (just some white chocolate with a bit of cream, melted until pourable consistency.) Swirl with a toothpick or the top of a knife.

#51 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:05 PM

Puff pastry Toledo cheese pies: (inspired by a 13th century Andalusian recipe)

defrost 2 sheets of puff pastry for @ 30 mins.

Meanwhile take equal parts feta & cream cheese (about 4 oz each)
rinse the feta quickly.
throw in a food processor & whizz till they look reasonably mixed & creamy.

take puff pastry, slice and shape into little appetizer holding bits. I usually do little boats because they're fast & easy, but whatever you like will work.

Fill with the cheese goo, either with spoons, or make it prettier by using a piping bag.

sprinkle with cumin seeds (or caraway or anise or...)

bake at 350 for about 35 mins till the pastry is cooked.

serve warm.
A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#52 Not A Speck Of Cereal

Not A Speck Of Cereal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:11 PM

Pizza Rockefellah

This is really only good in a hot wood fire oven (at least 750 degrees). If you have access to a pizza stone and a somewhat hot oven (500 degrees at least), you can do pizzas, but the oysters may get too done in respect to this particular recipe.

Dough: this is the key. There are many dozens of ingredients that can be used on pizza, but without good dough, you're toast. At the very least, use Trader Joe dough, but if you know someone with a talent for making it fresh, that's the ticket.

This is a pizza recipe based on Oysters Rockefeller. It deviates in a few respects, most especially in that the oysters are not raw, but with a hot enough oven, they will they be too cooked.

Topping Ingredients
  • 8-10 oysters per pizza
  • 1 bunch of fresh, washed spinach
  • Freshly grated parmesan cheese
  • Optional diversions: pesto, pine nuts, sliced onions, last nights leftovers, etc.
White Sauce Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon of butter
  • 1/4 cup of flour
  • 1/2 cup of hot milk
  • 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon of sour cream
  • Grated nutmeg
  • Salt and pepper
Preparation
  • Prepare oysters for shucking, washing the shells and preparing a bowl sitting in ice
  • Shuck the oysters and put the meat in the ice bowl
  • Cut the spinach from the stems, wash thoroughly, spin or pat dry, set aside
White sauce
  • Heat the milk in a sauce pan until just short of boiling, pour into cup, set aside.
  • Melt the butter in the same sauce pan, over low heat.
  • Add flour and hot milk, slowly, a little at a time.
  • Mix until it has thickened, but don't go beyond the point where the sauce is liquid enough to pour or brush.
  • Add Dijon and sour cream.
  • Add salt and pepper.
  • Grate nutmeg over the sauce to taste.
Assembling the pizza
  • Roll out the dough. Consider doing this as the white sauce is being prepared.
  • Brush olive oil over the top, save the edge.
  • Pour or brush the white sauce over the oiled area. If it's too thick, you'll have to spread it with a knife.
  • Add two layers of spinach--it will reduce too much for one layer.
  • Place 8-10 oysters around the pizza, half way between the edge and center, considering how it will be cut.
  • Add any optional diversionary ingredients.
  • Grate parmesan cheese over the entire pizza. Lay this on heavy.
Cooking the pizza
  • Place in an oven at least 500f degrees. For this pizza, the hotter the better. The ideal temperature for this pizza is 700-800f degrees, since you can cook the crust, melt the cheese and not manage to cook the oysters too much.
  • Cook until the cheese is bubbling.
Eat.
"Hey, I'd like a nice restaurant recommendation... for me to POOP on!"

Chris
Montlake, Seattle, Earth

#53 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:15 PM

Thai Crab Salad in Endive Leaves - makes about 24 filled leaves

2 red chilies, cored, seeded & finely chopped.
1 garlic clove, minced
2 inches of lemongrass, very finely chopped
grated zest & juice of 1 lime
1 T. fish sauce
1/2 C. canned coconut milk
1 tsp. sugar
1 small onion or shallot, finely chopped, or 2 green onions finely sliced
salt to taste
3 1/2 C. cooked crabmeat, or shelled deveined shrimp, chopped
1 bunch Thai basil, torn
1 bunch cilantro leaves, torn, plus extra to top

Belgian endive leaves, or small lettuce leaves

Put 1 chopped chili, the garlic, lemongrass, lime zest and juice, fish sauce, coconut milk, and sugar in a bowl and mix well until the sugar disolves. Stir in the onion, shallot or scallions. Taste and adjust the seasonings.

Fold in the crabmeat or chopped shrimp and chopped herbs, then pile about 1 T. in the base of each endive or lettuce leaf (I tend to fill it more like a boat full). Serve topped with finely chopped chili and torn cilantro leaves.

This recipe is from Fingerfood by Elsa Petersen-Schepelern/Time-Life Books.

#54 Fred Rowe

Fred Rowe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 05:26 AM

Roasted Beet and blue cheese in Endive

The oriaginal recipe is out of a book called Hors d' Oeuvres by Gillian Duffy. I am glad you liked it. Fred

The recipe is as follows.

1T of minced shallot
1T sherry vinegar
1T olive oil
1/4 pound Stilton cheese or any blue cheese crumbled
1 large or 2 medium sized beets boiled or roasted, peeled and cut into a 1/8 to 1/4 inch dice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 medium heads Belgian endive (and I added about 1/4 cup of tasted walnuts)
1T finely chopped chives

Mix all ingredients, taste for seasoning, and set aside
Clean, trim, and dry the endive
place about a teaspoon into each leaf and garnish with chives. Do not do this to early as the edges of the leaves tend to dry out. This recipe can be doubled or tripled but the original as given here makes about 16 to 20 depending upon generous you are about dishing it out.
Fred Rowe (FWED) Seattle

If you let fruit rot, it turns into wine, something Brussel sprouts never do

#55 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:22 PM

Here's the pea soup recipe from the spring dinner at Sparrowsfall's house. Sorry it's for such a large portion, but I imagine you can all reduce a recipe fairly easily and I wanted to post it as I made it. Enjoy!

Creamy Pea, Lettuce and Leek Soup with Lemon Crème Fraiche and Chive Oil

Makes about 20 cups of soup – served 17 people as an appetizer course with lots of leftovers.

12 cups good quality chicken stock
¼ lb guanciale (or fatty bacon, pancetta or salt pork), cut in strips like bacon
1 T butter
1.5 white onions, medium chop
6 stalks celery, trimmed well of ribs, medium chop
6 medium leeks, washed well, tender parts only, medium chop
¼ cup chopped Italian parsley
1 cup vermouth
1 lb fresh sugar snap peas, trimmed and cut in half
3 heads butter (aka boston or bibb) lettuce, rinsed well and chopped
12 cups frozen petit pois, thawed (I used C&W Early Harvest Spring peas)
3-4 long sprigs of fresh rosemary
Salt, to taste
White pepper, to taste
Fresh lemon juice, to taste
Approx 1 cup heavy cream

Put chicken stock in a large stockpot (at least 8-quart) and bring to a boil.

Meanwhile, sauté the guanciale strips in a large sauté pan until browned and fat is rendered. Remove strips and put them in the stockpot with the stock. Pour out all but about 2 T fat from sauté pan, add 1 T butter. Add onions, celery, leeks and one rosemary sprig to pan, stir to coat, add a pinch or two of salt, and sweat for 10 - 15 minutes, being careful not to brown them. Add more pork fat if needed. When soft, add parsley, deglaze with vermouth and reduce briefly. Dump ingredients in with the stock.

Bring the stock back to a boil, add the sugar snaps and remaining rosemary sprigs and bring back to a boil and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the lettuce, bring back to the boil and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the peas, bring back to the boil and cook until everything is just tender. The lettuce gets dark and slimy, but don’t fear, all will be well. The peas should still be quite bright green…don’t overcook or it will all turn grey.

When it is done, immediately pour the soup into a large bowl over an ice bath and stir to cool. This will keep it from overcooking and darkening. When cooled to room temp, remove rosemary sprigs and guanciale strips.

Puree in a blender, in batches and strain into another pot or bowl. I imagine a food mill would come in handy for this. If you use a strainer like I did, you’ll need to work for awhile with a rubber spatula to get the goodness out and leave the solids behind. This is one time where pressing hard and stirring around is fine. You want just the fibers left behind. Taste and season with salt and white pepper.

The soup can be refrigerated at this point for a day or two. It can be served either hot or cold.

To serve:

Either heat it up, or not. Add cream as desired, but not too much or you’ll loose the fresh, green flavor. I would start with ½ cup for cold and then taste. For hot, start with ¾ cup and taste. Adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and droplets of lemon juice. Ladle into bowls and, using squeeze tubes, add swirls of lemon crème fraiche and droplets of chive oil.

Lemon Crème Fraiche

1 cup crème fraiche
Zest of one lemon, finely grated
Lemon juice to taste
Salt
Fresh ground pepper

Stir up crème fraiche with drops of lemon juice and some of the zest, starting with about 1 tsp. Add a pinch of salt and a grind of pepper. Taste and look at texture (it should be thin enough to squeeze through a tube, but not too thin. Adjust amount of lemon juice/zest to taste. If you need to thin more, but don’t want to add more lemon juice, use milk. Put into squeeze tube or just plop dollops onto the soup. Will keep several days, refrigerated.

*Chive oil

1 ¼ cup oil (I used about 1 cup canola and ¼ cup olive)
2 bunches chives, chopped in thirds, blanched for 10 secs and shocked in ice water
1 bunch chives, raw, chopped in thirds
Salt to taste

Puree in a blender, taste for salt. Add more oil it it’s too strong. Let sit for several hours. Strain twice to remove solids. Store in fridge.

*Note: There are many recipes for this on the web and in cookbooks. This is how I did it, because after blanching the chives and pureeing with the oil, it didn’t have much chive flavor, so I added some raw chives and then the chive flavor came through.

**edited to change the yield of the soup.
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#56 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:13 PM

What a coincidence... it's "Green Soup" time over on the Soup of the Fortnight thread. :lol:
I'm no longer participating on Mouthfuls, but feel free to visit our blog.

#57 artzygirl

artzygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 12:44 AM

Dolmas (or Dolmades...same thing) from Steve's Printemps Feast...from "Tom's Big Dinners" (w/one omission)

5 T. olive oil plus more for brushing the baking dish
1 1/2 c. chopped onions (I used red)
1 T. minced garlic
1/3 c. currants
1/3 c. toasted pine nuts
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1/8 t. cayenne pepper
1 c. long-grain white rice (I used Jasmine as it was what I had in the house and I liked the added sweetness)
1/4 c. chopped mint (I OMITTED THIS..NOT A BIG MINT FAN AND I THOUGHT I WOULD COMPETE W/THE MANY OTHER FLAVORS)
1/4 c. chopped cilantro
3 T. chopped fresh dill
3 T. freshly sqeezed lemon juice
1 t. freshly grated lemon zest
kosher salt and ground peper to taste
1 jar of brine-packed grape leaves, rinsed in cold water, patted dry and stems cut off (about 26-30 per jar)

Preheat oven to 350 and brush a 9 x 13 pan w/olive oil. Heat the 3 T.'s of oil and add the onions. Saute about 5 minutes until translucent. Add the garlic and saute for a few more minutes. Add the currants, toasted pine nuts, cinnamon, cayenne, rice and 1 C. of water. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 'til rice is partially cooked, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to bowl. Add fresh herbs, lemon zest and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and allow to cool. Place the prep'ed grape leaves on your work surface, shiny side down. Spoon about a teaspoon and a half of the mixture onto the leaf, at the widest part. Fold up the bottom and then the sides and roll tightly. Place the leaves close together (seam side down) in your pan. Mix 3/4 c. water and the remaining 2 T.'s of oil and pur over the grape leaves. Cover tightly with foil and cook for about 45 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed. Allow to cool and chill overnight or at least for several hours.

I think the filling would also make a great Greek salad on it's own with a little feta sprinkled on top. :lol:
"To live a creative life, we must lose the fear of being wrong."
Joseph Chilton Pearce

#58 seawakim

seawakim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 03:39 AM

Spinach and Gorgonzola "mit Gefuehl" Salad from Printemps Cookfest

As I mentioned in the thread I should have made sure that I have an exact recipe for this salad before bringing it to this event.
As my German mom (who created this recipe) said: Do it "mit Gefuehl".
Even though "mit Gefuehl" means "with feeling," a more accurate description might be "there are no measurements for this so don't screw it up!" LOL

Here is my best attempt to list the ingredients with approximate measurements and visual clues to accompany the lack of accuracy. ;)

First you start with a glass of wine, because cooking "mit Gefuehl" is much easier "mit Alkohol" ;)

To make the salad:
Spinach or any kind of other salad mix (enough to fill your bowl)
Gorgonzola or any kind of blue cheese to cover the salad
dried cranberries until it looks pretty (I like using Trader Joe's orange cranberries - they have an extra zing and pick up the OJ in the dressing)
caramelized or cinnamon glazed (I use cinnamon glazed from Trader Joe's) pecans
sliced almonds
anything else you have laying around the pantry that is crunchy or interesting.....(make sure that you don't have too much wine before deciding what crunchy and interesting means......) ;)

THEN, have another sip of wine

To make the dressing:
use a common sense combination of half walnut oil and half olive or veg oil
add a splash of red wine vinegar
and raspberry vinegar
add some orange juice concentrate
add raspberry juice if you have it. If not, you can just imagine the raspberry juice.......
add lots of sugar
salt, pepper, onion to taste

Now you're ready to taste. It is likely that this should taste good. If not, next time put more "Gefuehl" into it. :lol:

#59 Not A Speck Of Cereal

Not A Speck Of Cereal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:03 AM

I don't see a global recipe thread, but I know there's this one in the PNW area. Cut'n paste from another forum:

"Remember that site where they posted the old recipe cards from [the] 70's? She's got a book out and started up a site on flickr for people who actually made the recipes to post photos:

http://www.flickr.co...luffy-mackerel/
"
"Hey, I'd like a nice restaurant recommendation... for me to POOP on!"

Chris
Montlake, Seattle, Earth

#60 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 04:01 PM

Farced eggs from le Cuisinier françois (la Varenne) 1651

18 hard boiled eggs
6 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp fresh Savory
1 Tbsp fresh Sorrell
2 Tbsp minced green onions (white only)
3 Tbsp fresh dill
3 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar
1/8 tsp nutmeg
salt

Cut eggs in half and remove yolk.
Mince all the herbs.
Saute herbs & green onion in 1/2 the butter.
Reduce heat to low. Add yolks to the saute'd herbs, and crush a bit with your spatula.
Add the vinegar and the rest of the butter. Stir until smooth.
Add nutmeg & salt to taste.
Add a bit more butter if it seems to thick.
Pipe into egg whites.

Note I think it might be better to run the yolks through a ricer to make them fluffy before adding to the pan...
- Athenaeus