#106 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:09 AM

Hello Guys,

I've cleaned up this thread to omit all of the posts that aren't recipes or questions or answers about recipes. If you guys want all of the comments back just let me know.

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#107 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 04:22 PM

Kale and Ricotta Salata Salad

For our group of 14 (?) I used two heads of kale. It's supposed to be "tender" kale which I learned from the Splendid Table is kale that has stems that are smaller in diameter than your pinky finger. Chiffonade the kale leaves, wash and dry. Toss with a cup or so of grated ricotta salata and your favorite vinaigrette. I used this awesome pine nut oil I found at Porchetta, along with some lemon juice, sherry vinegar, salt and pepper.

That's it. Super, super easy.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#108 TamIam

TamIam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 05:42 PM

Served at Paul and Lauren's Nightscotsman party....

Blue Cheese Tart

Pre-baked tart shell, pie crust, or puff pastry (I used Dorie Greenspans "good for everything" pie crust in a tart pan)
1 cup heavy cream
1 whole large egg
2 large egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
5 oz chilled Stilton, rind removed and cheese crumbled (1 1/2 cups) I substituted Rogue Smoked Blue because it is so dang good

Whisk together cream, whole egg, yolks, salt, and pepper until combined.

Put tart shell (still in pan) on a baking sheet and scatter cheese evenly in shell. Slowly pour custard into shell and bake in middle of 325 F oven until golden around edge and custard is just set, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool tart completely in pan on a rack.

Oil and potatoes both grow underground so french fries may have eventually invented themselves had they not been invented. -- J. Esther

#109 MySiuMai

MySiuMai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 08:30 PM

From Steve's "In Lieu of Game Night" get-together, per several requests.

Recipe courtesy of Greg Atkinson in the Seattle Times, circa 2003 :WholeWheatShortbread

Whole Wheat Shortbread

Makes 2 dozen cookies

These simple "digestives," as the English call them, are the perfect way to round out a holiday meal or say thanks to the host of a family gathering. With only three main ingredients, it is important that each one be at its peak. Don't count on last year's unfinished bag of whole-wheat flour to taste fresh anymore, and splurge on some quality designer butter for maximum butter flavor.

2 cups whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup Turbinado sugar or "Sugar in the Raw"
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup (8 ounces) unsalted imported or "European-style" butter

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with baker's parchment.

2. Put the whole-wheat flour, the raw sugar and the salt in the work bowl of a food processor and process briefly just to blend. If you don't own a food processor, stir the ingredients together in a mixing bowl.

3. Cut the butter into half-inch bits and add them to the flour mixture. Process, pulsing the motor on and off until the mixture comes together to form a crumbly dough. If you're working without a food processor, use a pastry cutter or your fingers to press the butter into the flour. Shape the dough into two logs, each about 6 inches long, and slice the logs into half-inch slices.

4. Bake the slices for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool completely before storing in airtight containers. The cookies keep for up to one week, but are best eaten a day or two after they are baked.

My Webpage

"If the gelatin is properly chilled, it will resist the Twinkies. You will push them in; they will slowly rise. It is a tense moment, like the scene in Psycho when Tony Perkins tries to sink Janet Leigh's car."

Jane and Michael Stern, Square Food

#110 duckduck

duckduck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:45 PM

From Fred & Ed's country picnic Sept '08

Savory biscotti from Pastry’s best magazine courtesy of Mitch Stamm.
I cut it down to a ¼ recipe.

106 g butter
34 g sugar
250 g egg
20 g olive oil
272 g flour
68 g corn meal
170 g grated parmesan
4.5 g salt
1.5 g ground cayenne
12.5 g baking powder

Cream butter, sugar and cayenne. Add egg and oil slowly. Add the rest of the ingredients.
Split in half and make two logs and place on oiled baking sheets with parchment and bake at 350 degrees until they are golden brown. Take out and cool slightly and slice. (At this point they can be frozen and toasted later.) Place slice side down on pan and return to oven and toast ‘til crispy and flip and toast the other side.

With the amount of cayenne in the recipe, I was told that they were a little spicy for some. The next time I do the recipe, I think I’ll play with black pepper, maybe garlic salt and/or paprika. I liked them but think they could use a little more complexity if you’re eating them straight. They’d be nice as is as an addition to a Caesar salad.

#111 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:38 AM

Fred and Ed's Country Picnic 2008

Blackened Pork Chops with Onion Gravy

Makes 6 entree portions

Spice Rub - or you can use cajun spice mix or your own recipe

4 tblsp Paprika
4 tblsp Chili Powder
2 tblsp Kosher Salt
2 tblsp Cayenne Pepper
2 tblsp Black Pepper, medium grind

12 Pork Chops, whatever kind you like, I prefer rib chops about 1/2 inch thick
4 Yellow Onions rough dice
3 cups pork stock, you can also use Knorr pork stock or chinese ham stock
1 stick butter, total, probably, bacon grease is good too
Sweet Vermouth for deglazing

1 heavy skillet
1 baking dish
aluminum foil

1. Mix your spice rub together
2. Rub spice rub into chops, cover with plastic wrap and let sit in frige at least two hours, preferably overnight
3. Pre heat oven to 400 degrees F
4. Heat skillet on high heat and add some butter, brown pork chops until outside blackens, about 2 min per side, remove to baking dish
5. Deglaze skillet with sweet vermouth, cheap port should work too, reduce to thicken
6. Add more butter, and add all onions and brown
7. Smother pork chops with onions
8. Add stock around edges of baking dish so you don't dislodge the onions, cover with foil
9. Stick the pan in the oven for 20-25 mintues, pull out and go to town

Optional: Reduce the pan juice to make a thicker gravy, the so called gravy this yields is pretty thin, but actually very flavourful, so don't add salt without tasting first

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#112 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:29 PM

Fred and Ed's Country Picnic 2008

Corn Salad
Serves approx. 10 - 12

Salad:
8 ears of fresh corn
1/2 red onion
2 pint baskets multi-colored cherry tomatoes
1/2 bunch of fresh basil
1/2 lb bacon, fried or baked until crispy
3 ripe Haas avocados

Dressing:
1/4 cup Champagne vinegar
1 T Balsamic vinegar – medium grade, not the high end stuff
2 tsp lemon juice - optional**
2 tsp honey
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup of salad oil: equal parts olive oil, avocado oil and corn oil (or any neutral salad oil); or equal parts olive and a neutral oil if avocado oil is unavailable.

Make the dressing first. Whisk together the vinegars, lemon juice honey and salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the oils, using more or less to get the right balance. The dressing should be tangy with some sweetness, but not too sweet. Set the dressing aside and taste it again before dressing the salad and adjust if needed.

Blanch the ears of corn in boiling salted water for about 1-2 minutes, just to set the starch. Remove to colander and cool. Then cut the kernels off the ears.

Dice the red onion and then soak it in salt/vinegar water for an hour or 2 and then drain. (If the onion is mild, this step can be omitted.)

Cut the cherry tomatoes in half.

Coarsely chop or tear the fresh basil leaves.

Toss the corn kernels, red onion, tomatoes, and basil with some of the dressing and then let it sit while prepping the avocados.

Peel and cut the avocados into a large dice and crumble the bacon.

Carefully fold in the avocados and half the bacon with the corn mixture. Add a bit more dressing if needed and correct the seasoning. Sprinkle the rest of the crumbled bacon on top of the salad. Best if served within an hour of making it.

**eta: Thinking back, I believe I was originally planning to use the lemon juice, but ulitimately decided against it as the dressing seemed acidic enough without it.
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#113 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:15 AM

My carrot salad recipe (Grated Carrot Sauté with Garlic Yogurt) came from this site on Turkish food. Search on "carrot"
A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#114 croseattle

croseattle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

We're doing a work thing at ByBee Farms next week and I anticipate having a lot of blueberries afterwards. SeaGal and Lauren were nice enough to share some blueberry jam recipes with me to try, but I figured I'd open it up to the boards too. Anyone got any tried and great blueberry recipes to share? I'd be much obligied.

-croseattle

#115 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:29 PM

We're doing a work thing at ByBee Farms next week and I anticipate having a lot of blueberries afterwards. SeaGal and Lauren were nice enough to share some blueberry jam recipes with me to try, but I figured I'd open it up to the boards too. Anyone got any tried and great blueberry recipes to share? I'd be much obligied.

-croseattle

We drink a lot of blueberry caprihaina's (sp) in the summer. I also love blueberry handpies- make them up and keep them in the freezer (like poptarts) and then just stick them in the toaster when needed. And speaking of freezing I always try to freeze a bunch- loose on a sheet pan and then pop them into ziplock bags. Then you can use them in the winter for pies, muffins, pancakes and yogurt toppings when all that is in season are apples :)
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#116 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:24 PM

Blueberry and peach crisp is hard to beat. My mom's version uses topping made with oatmeal, brown sugar and butter.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner