2515 replies to this topic

#31 pierred

pierred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 03:38 PM

Wow. I have absolutely no idea what that means. Amazing.

I actually sometimes like liver flavors, but...
You have to try those two wines with a duck and/or goose liver pate. One taste is not nice, one is scrumptious.

#32 pierred

pierred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 03:38 PM

edit: dupe post, DOH!

#33 Maurice Naughton

Maurice Naughton

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 05:31 PM

I actually sometimes like liver flavors, but...
You have to try those two wines with a duck and/or goose liver pate. One taste is not nice, one is scrumptious.

I think I get it. You mean you were eating some liver paté and had some chardonnay and some sauternes at the same time. That with the chardonnay, the paté tasted livery and with the sauternes it tasted buttery. Right?
Cambridge University Professor of Electrical Engineering, Sir Charles Oatley, in October, 1948, along with his student Dennis McMullan, began the research that led to the production of the first scanning electron microscope in 1965.

I thought you'd want to know.

#34 JPW

JPW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 07:45 PM

A pilot told me awhile back that very humid air is lighter and dry air is heavier, which is related to lift. It is confusing to me that humid air, which feels oppressive, is light but also more difficult to get lift in. Any pilots who know abou tthis?

Humid air feels more oppressive to you because it inhibits the ability of sweat to evaporate. Evaporation of sweat being what cools your body not the actual sweating itself. As a result you sit their with the sweat just hanging onto your skin and that oppressive feeling.

All other things being equal, humid air is less dense than dry air.
"You know what we need around here? More guidelines. I don't think we have enough guidelines. I mean -- look at that other place, it even has guidelines for its guidelines."

"Also, we don't "ban" people in the arbitrary fashion you are describing. It's a meticulous and careful process, which is only used sparingly." -jhlurie (now ex-officio)

#35 pierred

pierred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 02:08 PM

Humid air feels more oppressive to you because it inhibits the ability of sweat to evaporate. Evaporation of sweat being what cools your body not the actual sweating itself. As a result you sit their with the sweat just hanging onto your skin and that oppressive feeling.

All other things being equal, humid air is less dense than dry air.

Thanks for that. I remembered something about lightness of humid air, and it being more difficult to take off in.

And check that MN. Pate, chard= ugh. Then Pate, sauternes= yum!

#36 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 02:29 PM

What I learned today:

...meromictic lakes, which means that there is no fall and spring mixing of surface and bottom waters. Such lakes have a high potential for evidence of ancient plant and animal life.

Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#37 fml

fml

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 03:09 PM

What I learned today:

...meromictic lakes, which means that there is no fall and spring mixing of surface and bottom waters. Such lakes have a high potential for evidence of ancient plant and animal life.

My first thought was, hmm, never heard of meromictic latkes before.

#38 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,733 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 04:47 AM

Yes, a whole week in that tank. The sight was quite creepy to me. I think I'd have got the bends. Also, it's suggested he stayed in the tank this long to prepare for holding his breath; I'd have thought the ordeal would've weakened him.

Someone at Slate raised an interesting question...

We learned what Blaine consumed in the tank—sports drinks mixed with water, 10 to 12 times a day—but not how he eliminated it.

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#39 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 04:49 AM

I read that he said he'd had a catheter for urine and tight muscles for any other contingency. :lol:
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#40 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,733 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 04:53 AM

Ew. :lol:
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#41 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 04:58 AM

yup :lol:
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#42 pierred

pierred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 04:34 PM

yup :lol:

He also spent the previous week eliminating solid waste from his system and consuming liquids so he would not have any poo in the pipes.

#43 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 04:51 PM

Who cares?
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#44 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 05:06 PM

I should post about David Blaine in the annoyances thread.

#45 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 05:08 PM

Oh yes.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid