563 replies to this topic

#451 MySiuMai

MySiuMai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:36 PM

How many are we cooking for? Presumably folks won't have a full-size serving of each....

I'm staking claim to John Thorne's recipe, with the famous 2-to-1 ratio of cheese to mac! :blink:

Megan
My Webpage

"If the gelatin is properly chilled, it will resist the Twinkies. You will push them in; they will slowly rise. It is a tense moment, like the scene in Psycho when Tony Perkins tries to sink Janet Leigh's car."

Jane and Michael Stern, Square Food

#452 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 05:09 AM

I'm planning on making two foil pans worth, whatever that comes out to.

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#453 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 06:52 PM

Rocky, please count me in too, with Jan "LaBelle's" crack, er, I mean mac and cheese. :blink:
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#454 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 11:36 PM

Updating the list of entries is

Me
Lauren
Dandelion
Ling
SeaGal

Am I forgetting anyone? Anyone else at all?

Don't forget to call the restaurant for reservations, 206-838-8000. See you guys there.

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#455 MySiuMai

MySiuMai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:03 AM

I think I'm going to drop out, if that doesn't cause a hassle.

I made a trial batch of John Thorne's this weekend and while I crave it, I'm realizing that mac and cheese doesn't really like ME!

For those of you interested, Thorne's is incredibly creamy (I used a mix of medium cheddar and colby jack, as others have commented that sharp cheddar doesn't work as well.)

But it's really overwhelming and needs additional shakes of tabasco on the top to counteract said creaminess. I might normally stay in the contest and mess with it (add a crumb topping or some such), but I'm currently overwhelmed with Xmas baking and unable to muster enthusiasm for experimentation.

A thousand pardons....

Megan

(Have you looked outside lately? Cripes, I opened the door to let the dog out, and in a mere 20 minutes it had turned from a typical wet, green yard into a winter wonderland. This report comes to you from a hill in West Seattle!)
My Webpage

"If the gelatin is properly chilled, it will resist the Twinkies. You will push them in; they will slowly rise. It is a tense moment, like the scene in Psycho when Tony Perkins tries to sink Janet Leigh's car."

#456 Ling

Ling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:05 PM

What time does the Mac n Cheese event start?

#457 dandelion

dandelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 01:26 AM

When I called to make reservations, Ethan said "see you at 6:30." But if we're competing, it seems like we should get there a little earlier? Rocky?

#458 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:56 AM

Yes, doors open at 630 but I'm plannin gon being there around 530 to finish my mac and cheese.

Rocky

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#459 MySiuMai

MySiuMai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:55 AM

Just heard Ethan on KOMO news radio, promoing the Mac and Cheese fest. Wow. This is turning into a soiree!

Will be interesting to see if Patti LaBelle's wins the taste off as it did in the small group earlier this year.

Eat some for me. :angry:

Megan
My Webpage

#460 Ling

Ling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:28 AM

We had a great time at Union tonight! I liked many of the mac n cheeses that we tried...I particularly liked #1 (it had lots of breadcrumbs and blue cheese), #2 (with Cheez-its, pumpkin seeds, and jalapenos...it was very creative and tasty), and #11 (a green chilli mac n cheese.)

We were so surprised we won (I couldn't help screaming :angry: ) because I just improvised on measurements as we were cooking in the late afternoon. I was also kind of afraid the cheeses we chose would be too strong for some, but I'm so happy people enjoyed it!

Thanks for organizing, and thanks, Union, for our prize! :)

#461 LaurieA-B

LaurieA-B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 02:19 PM

CONGRATULATIONS, Henry and Lorna!

I also liked #11 (Lauren's green chile version), and my other favorites included 3, 4, and 5. 3 was Rocky's, featuring Lil Smokies :angry: , and if I heard correctly, the super-cheesy #5 was made by Ethan Stowell. It was interesting to learn that people do not have at all the same taste in mac and cheese; some that I was indifferent to were loved by others at my table, and I didn't vote for any of the three winners. (SORRY, Henry and Lorna!)

While I think many people bypassed them completely, Neil and I tasted each of the delicious cookies served at the end of the contest, in the interests of research (yes, there was a surprise appearance by nightscotsman): brownies, two kinds of chocolate cookies, molasses cookies, and cranberry squares. I am sure the cranberry was Dorie Greenspan's Cranberry Upside-Downer, which I tasted at Judy's on Thanksgiving. Having enjoyed this cake twice now, I highly recommend the recipe (from her new book).

#462 LaurieA-B

LaurieA-B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 02:22 PM

Green Chile Mac and Cheese

#463 Ling

Ling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 07:28 PM

Yeah, it was interesting to see how people's tastes differed! The table of guys behind us seemed to be taking the competition very seriously...they each ate all 14 varieties, and then one guy got a plate of the "finalists" they had decided on, and they went through tasting each "finalist" again, discussing them and making notes.

I think I really liked #1 because it was probably the 2nd stinkiest/most pungent mac n cheese on the table that night. (I think ours was probably the stinkiest/heaviest, so I'm sure that turned some people off!) Also, #1 had a lot of breadcrumbs, which I absolutely love, although our two friends who were eating with us thought it had a bit too much breadcrumb, and didn't vote for it.

#464 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:26 PM

That was a lot of fun, note to self do not bring two kids to event again until they're older, I don't know how you guys with kids do it all the time. I think a common theme of discussion was how many of the macs, including mine, weren't as moist as intended by the time they were served and the factors that played into that. things like scaling recipes up and the extra time reheating, though the scaling thing isn't really an excuse for me since I'm not a recipe kind of person. I can't remember which one was which but there were some really good macs and cheeses. Congrats to Lorna and Henry by the way!

Rocky

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#465 scarlett

scarlett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:28 PM

Congrats to Henry and Lorna. I loved the addition of bacon and the shape of the pasta. YUM!

It was awesome seeing everyone last night. I'm craving more mac n' cheese today :angry:
Traca
Seattle, WA

blog: Seattle Tall Poppy
Examiner.com - Seattle Food Scene