19 replies to this topic

#1 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 03:02 AM

Apparently Michelin is going to start reviewing NY restaurants - first guide to be published in 2006...
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#2 pixelchef

pixelchef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 03:16 AM

Correct you are. Credit goes to my buddy Liz for this link:

Clicky here!

-----------

Here are my nominations (I'm sure everyone will disagree):

3-stars:

Per Se
Bouley
Jean-Georges
Daniel
Le Bernardin
Babbo
ADNY

2-stars:

Craft
Blue Hill
WD-50
Oceana
Veritas
BLT Steak

Alright, tear me apart. :/

#3 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,774 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:23 PM

Under the more things change department... - scary

#4 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,759 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:06 PM

Why should anyone care?

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#5 jmoranmoya

jmoranmoya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

Actually the Michelin guide is kind of funny.
Joke number 1:
This place in NY:
Posted Image

has the same stars as this place in Copenhagen:
Posted Image

#6 changeup

changeup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:39 AM

Are you saying that a restaurant that serves a burger should not be listed in the Michelin Guide as being a very good restaurant/cuisine within it's category, or are you saying that the wet salad to be should be "worth a detour" or perhaps "worth a special journey" but for some other reason that's unfair isn't?

Or are you perhaps saying you don't know what the stars mean in the first place?

#7 jmoranmoya

jmoranmoya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:29 AM

Are you saying that a restaurant that serves a burger should not be listed in the Michelin Guide as being a very good restaurant/cuisine within it's category, or are you saying that the wet salad to be should be "worth a detour" or perhaps "worth a special journey" but for some other reason that's unfair isn't?

Or are you perhaps saying you don't know what the stars mean in the first place?

Yes to all.
In addition, I'm saying that the stars can not be used as a fair measure to compare apples vs apples across countries

#8 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,500 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:09 AM

Actually the Michelin guide is kind of funny.
Joke number 1:
This place in NY:
Posted Image

has the same stars as this place in Copenhagen:
Posted Image

I made that same type of comparison when I went to Copenhagen a couple of years ago. Many of the Copenhagen one-stars would be New York three-stars.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#9 changeup

changeup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:21 AM

Yes to all.
In addition, I'm saying that the stars can not be used as a fair measure to compare apples vs apples across countries

I'm guessing Michelin would agree with your final sentence - that they are not meant to be used to compare apples to apples across countries. Just saying it's amongst the best within it's category in the region that they are rating allows for a lot of the leeway that you see. That's not their fault in my eyes, that's yours for not looking at what they are saying in the first place.

I suppose a world wide single Michelin Guide would address that definitively.

The lack of appreciation for New Nordic seems a far more serious fault in my eyes by comparison, seems far more petty if true as you and Sneak (and many others) say.

#10 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,500 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:04 AM

I'm not saying Michelin lacks appreciation of New Nordic.

I'm saying their New York grades are (necessarily) so inflated that restaurants that get only one star in a European city would be given three here.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#11 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:25 PM

I'm saying their New York grades are (necessarily) so inflated that restaurants that get only one star in a European city would be given three here.

I wish we had a few of those European restaurants.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#12 Sivan

Sivan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:28 PM

You can't sell guides to high end dining by telling people high end dining in their fair city stinks.

Recent meal at EMP - 1.5 michelin star food, more expensive than any 3 star meal in Tokyo at the worst exchange rate in decades. Still a bargain compared to what a meal with the same wine would be at Per Se.

eta: Orik logged in as Sivan, obviously

#13 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:46 PM

You can't sell guides to high end dining by telling people high end dining in their fair city stinks.

They seem to have gotten away with that in the U.K., where there are just two 3* restaurants in London, as opposed to seven in NYC.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#14 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,577 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

The UK guide has been established for years, and I believe that's an unusually low number of 3* awards. So they didn't launch the guide by telling Londoners high end dining was crap.

#15 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,500 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

I wish we had a few of those European restaurants.

As I keep saying, every time I go to Europe I get Really Bummed Out upon return.
Bar Loser

MF Old