1076 replies to this topic

#31 ranitidine

ranitidine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,727 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 07:39 PM

I hope you'll be sending us occasional reports about life in Rome.

Oh, of course... all sorts of hijinks and whatnot...

I know I'm setting the bar very high, but I have faith in you. Take a look at Maurice Naughton's Notes of A Parisite thread.

That is a high standard! Please don't expect me to be, like, all, cultured and stuff: hell, I can barely read. But-- to self-promote for a moment-- I do have a blog about my time in Rome, which for obvious reasons is very light on content at the moment. But I expect to fill it up with all kinds of good stuff once I get there, and I'm happy to contribute here as well.

Excellent!

False modesty will get you nowhere on this board. A Latin scholar spending a year doing research in Rome, eh? I look forward to your posts. By the way, when the woman said the pigs were used for recycling, I think she meant that they ate the leftovers and then provided the fertilizer.

Edited by ranitidine, 16 July 2005 - 07:46 PM.

"Say not the struggle nought availeth...."
Arthur Hugh Clough, 1819-1861

Arise ye prisoners of starvation
Arise ye wretched of the earth

#32 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,009 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 07:39 PM

Edgartown is one of the greatest places I have been to, but that's probably b/c I am obsessed with pink, green, sailboats, hydrangeas, and fresh seafood.

Was the pink and green in the flowers or in the outfits of the summer residents; you know, like Muffy and Charles V. Farquar IV?

Hey! Those are my people.

And are't you coming dangerously close to disobeying a guideline? You may not think of us as an ethnic group, but we are. :(
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#33 fentona

fentona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 07:43 PM

I want to hear about Tunisia especially.

Of course. Though I'm thinking maybe Croatia in the fall and Tunisia in the spring; I keep hearing all this great stuff about Croatia. Including this article from the NY Times, which makes me actually kind of want to go less... if Gwyneth is there, maybe I should avoid it, y'know?
Andrew Fenton

#34 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,894 posts

Down, girl. It's just snarky humor.

#35 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,009 posts

Down, girl. It's just snarky humor.

:(
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#36 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 07:58 PM

Edgartown is one of the greatest places I have been to, but that's probably b/c I am obsessed with pink, green, sailboats, hydrangeas, and fresh seafood.

Was the pink and green in the flowers or in the outfits of the summer residents; you know, like Muffy and Charles V. Farquar IV?

Hey! Those are my people.

And are't you coming dangerously close to disobeying a guideline? You may not think of us as an ethnic group, but we are. :(

Some of my best friends are part of that ethnic group. :(
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#37 Farid

Farid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 08:06 PM

I want to hear about Tunisia especially.

Of course. Though I'm thinking maybe Croatia in the fall and Tunisia in the spring; I keep hearing all this great stuff about Croatia. Including this article from the NY Times, which makes me actually kind of want to go less... if Gwyneth is there, maybe I should avoid it, y'know?

Then we might possibly be in Tunisia at the same time. But it's too early for me set any dates.

#38 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 08:10 PM

I dated a Tunisian some years back. Hairy little bugger, but sexy as hell. Good cook, too. :( ***

***humor alert
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#39 fentona

fentona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 08:33 PM

Then we might possibly be in Tunisia at the same time. But it's too early for me set any dates.

Either second week of October or second week of March for me, unless I take a shorter trip over a long weekend. Is it feasible/worth it to just go for four days or so and stay near Tunis? (As you can see, I'm at the very beginning of the planning stages.)
Andrew Fenton

#40 Louisa Chu

Louisa Chu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 08:47 PM

Spain at the end of September/beginning of October - Barcelona, Roses, Cala Montjoi. :( I'll be at El Bulli again for a couple of weeks. This time I'm definitely bringing my scuba gear too! Dive all day - Rafa's for dinner - sangria into the wee hours of the night - I can't wait!

#41 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 11:00 PM

West coast of Scotland and then the Orkneys for a couple of days.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#42 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,623 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 01:08 AM

We just got back from a marathon 3.5 week tour. Home -> Hamburg -> Lebanon -> breakfast in Istanbul with an old classmate -> Hamburg -> Munich -> Hamburg -> Maine -> home.

Two days ago we did a day trip to St. Louis with some visiting guests which was nice.

We have some trips to Germany coming up to set up house there, and next summer Tokyo, about which I am very excited.

For those of you not completely turned off by egullet, I have been writing up some stuff about the trip to Lebanon, in the Middle East forum.
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#43 Farid

Farid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 01:16 AM

We just got back from a marathon 3.5 week tour. Home -> Hamburg -> Lebanon -> breakfast in Istanbul with an old classmate -> Hamburg -> Munich -> Hamburg -> Maine -> home.

Two days ago we did a day trip to St. Louis with some visiting guests which was nice.

We have some trips to Germany coming up to set up house there, and next summer Tokyo, about which I am very excited.

For those of you not completely turned off by egullet, I have been writing up some stuff about the trip to Lebanon, in the Middle East forum.

Middle East/Africa forum that is. :( And Behemoth is a fantastic writer and photographer. She's being too modest when she describes it as "stuff." There is so much to her descriptions, a sense of history, irony, satire, black humour, great beauty. She's a poet and artist I tell you, a poet and artist!

#44 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,623 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 01:47 AM

thanks! :(

Actually as a lark I briefly toyed with the idea of sticking it in the asia forum. :(
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#45 akiko

akiko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 01:22 PM

in late December/early January, we're going to Thailand for 19 days on one of Kasma Loha-unchit's culinary tours. We've put off this trip for at least 3 years (it's been so long, we've actually forgotten when we originally said we'd go), so we're really looking forward to it. We also have a 3-night stopover in Tokyo on the way to Bangkok, which we're in the process of planning.

Very jealous. I want to do this trip some time soon

We'll have a long weekend in the Berkshires next month

Lippy you know where I think you and R should stay :o . And if not staying there then you should at least stop in for a drink and wander around. Its really beautiful on beautiful grounds.

Australia for the entire month of October! We've been planning this for 3 years: Melbourne, Adelaide, Kangaroo Island and Coober Pedy. There's a big food fest in Adelaide the last two weekends of October. I've signed us up for two seminars: Australian Olive Oil tasting and blending, and an Australian cheese class

Really really sounds incredibly amazing. Sydney is on my list of must go sometime soons...

And we are in the midst of planning a trip to Paris and St Petersberg over Christmas/New Years.

Paris is lovely to be in for christmas and new year's, the eiffel looks even prettier than it normally does on new year. And a good friend was just in St Petersberg, her pictures looked great and she insists that all the women look like supermodels. The men? not so much :blink:

I love this thread scorchedp! I love to travel.

We are off to Singapore (for just a day) and then to Bali in August. If anyone has been to Bali, I'd love to hear your recommendations. And then to Abu Dhabi for a weekend in September.