2 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,915 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 01:55 AM

On a sweltering June afternoon he was preparing creamed collards, a sly modulation of the Southern culinary canon that is typical of his style. In his hands a vegetable like collard greens, grown dull by repetition, can appear in an entirely new light, without offending the spirit of the dish.

Last fall he was looking for a vegetable to serve with a T-bone to the kind of customer who orders steak and potatoes out of habit.

"I wanted to stay familiar to the traditions of a steakhouse, but to use the Southern ingredients I had in hand," he said. "Creamed collards was one of those ideas that hit me, like a fried green tomato B.L.T."

Hominy Grill

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#2 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,915 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 01:25 AM

Best Chef in the Southeast, per the Beard voters...

Hominy Grill - neighborhood food

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#3 robert40

robert40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:44 PM

I had a wonderful time in Charleston recently. Glass Onion, Husk for lunch and dinner, etc etc. But surprising Hominy Grill "twice" is the one I'll most remember. Comparing Husk to Hominy Grill would be apples and oranges. Though the later touched my soul and felt like coming home. That happens rarely.

More to come...