2056 replies to this topic

#1 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 02:08 PM

Thought we needed a thread on places we walk by, places we hear about, places we want feedback on without starting a thread about it (yet)...

So last night we walked by Lure Fishbar. I love the look of the place. Abby told me she did not like the fish there at all...

What about raw stuff? How are the cocktails?

It looks like the inside of a luxury yacht. Love those round banquettes.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#2 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 02:10 PM

Lure is an interesting name for a crudo place. Just slightly better than Bait.

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,600 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 02:18 AM

Lure is an interesting name for a crudo place. Just slightly better than Bait.

Live Bait (23rd, opp Madison Sq Park) was an interesting place for a beer and a burger after work. Don't recall much in the way of live fish, though.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#4 ranitidine

ranitidine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,727 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 02:56 AM

Lure is an interesting name for a crudo place.  Just slightly better than Bait.

Live Bait (23rd, opp Madison Sq Park) was an interesting place for a beer and a burger after work. Don't recall much in the way of live fish, though.

You mean like, "Wow, it's interesting how mediocre this place is" interesting?
"Say not the struggle nought availeth...."
Arthur Hugh Clough, 1819-1861

Arise ye prisoners of starvation
Arise ye wretched of the earth

#5 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,600 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 12:34 PM

More like, if you coop up all the people who worked across the street at MetLife, and release them from work at 4pm, look how much they can drink during happy hour. With MetLife mostly gone, I'm sure the Credit Suisse people keep the taps flowing.

I do recall they served food there, and I recall it wasn't all that good.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#6 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 12:35 PM

Sort of like Spice Market would be more aptly named Meat Market.

#7 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 01:53 PM

Lure is an interesting name for a crudo place.  Just slightly better than Bait.

You mean like, "Wow, it's interesting how mediocre this place is" interesting?

:o
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#8 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,007 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 03:57 PM

After having drinks at Tabla's Bread Bar last night and observing some of the food prep from my perch down the end of the bar I am curious. We spied a few things that looked and smelled most appetizing, among them a radish chaat and nan with grilled lamb and mustard mashed potatoes. I would rather sit at a table than at the bar, which is populated a might too heavily by braying, personal-space-invading CSFB investment bankers.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#9 fantasty

fantasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 02:01 AM

Tabla's Bread Bar

I've enjoyed that place the few times I've been there.
"My hogs were so lean you had to put lard in the pan just to cook your bacon" - Papa Wilson, 1918 - 2007

#10 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 02:47 AM

It can be very good but I've found it inconsistent.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#11 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 12:22 PM

braying, personal-space-invading CSFB investment bankers.

"braying" Yes, that pretty much nails down their mode of communication. I shall use that in future passages.

#12 djk

djk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 06:50 AM

After having drinks at Tabla's Bread Bar last night and observing some of the food prep from my perch down the end of the bar I am curious. We spied a few things that looked and smelled most appetizing, among them a radish chaat and nan with grilled lamb and mustard mashed potatoes. I would rather sit at a table than at the bar, which is populated a might too heavily by braying, personal-space-invading CSFB investment bankers.

i like it very much for a little stop in and a few plates etc........but just wanted to add that if it's hot (and when won't it be), i heartily rec a tamarind margarita. walked in one day a few years ago, so hot and a bit early to meet some friends, another friend and i were talked into the tamarind and thought we'd been air-lifted to some kind of paradise. i have a feeling it works best when the weather is what it has ceaselessly been.......but since it's so ceaseless, you still have time to give it a try.

#13 pim

pim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 08:24 PM

How about that place in London, just off of Oxford Circus, either on Argyll or Great Marlborough st. I don't remember. It's a new sushi bar-ish place that's serving individuat portions of dimsum. I walked by it with Kiku and then another time with Jay and we were all somewhat intrigued.

Has anyone tried it?
--------
Edited:
Oops, nevermind me, duh, this is in the NY forum. Sorry.

Oh no she didn't.

#14 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 05:39 PM

from MUG:

FOOD
Four rising-star (extraordinary, really) chefs from Spain will be doing guests stints at Suba, 109 Ludlow [Rivington/Delancey] 212.982.5714, in a series called "La Nueva Ola" (The New Wave). It’s $125 per person, which includes paired wines. Here’s the lineup:
• Pepe Rodríguez Rey: El Bohío, Illescas, La Mancha, Monday, August 8-Wednesday, August 10
• Raúl Aleixandre: Ca’Sento, Valencia, Monday, August 29-Wednesday, August 31
• Ángel León: El Tambuche, Cadiz, Monday, September 12-Wednesday, September 14
• Carlos Posadas: Santo Mauro, Relais & Chateaux in Madrid, Tuesday, September 27-Wednesday, September 28
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#15 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 01:55 PM

from MUG:

"My husband stumbled upon this place called Tebaya, 144 W. 19th [6th/7th] 212.924.3335. It's a tiny Japanese wings place with only a few things on the menu. Four of us had a super-quick pre-movie meal there and not only were the wings and potato mochi delicious (certainly no health-treat but super yummy, and they did have a nice soba salad, too) but also the guys who run it were just so nice that I left the place really wanting to tell everyone about it."

Anybody been?