Photo

Clueless questions II (The Ones You Really Want Answered)

• Please log in to reply
4012 replies to this topic

#3451 memesuze

memesuze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

If I were to install a grab bar in my shower [no bathtub, just a small shower enclosure], do I install it horizontally, so that I can pull myself up from the floor, or vertically, so I can grab from any height as I'm falling? If vertically, how low/high should it go?
"When you think about it, all of my greatest work is poop tomorrow." - Mario Batali

Even if you live to be 100, life is short.

#3452 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,323 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

If I were to install a grab bar in my shower [no bathtub, just a small shower enclosure], do I install it horizontally, so that I can pull myself up from the floor, or vertically, so I can grab from any height as I'm falling? If vertically, how low/high should it go?

there are published guidelines for builders and designers. i found them when i was building my place. check the interwebs, then try the different positions on the wall and see what is most practical and comfortable for you. also, be sure that there is sufficient blocking behind your wall, it would totally suck if you actually had the strength to pull yourself up to have the bar fall out of the wall.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#3453 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,034 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

how can i go on with my life, now that alec baldwin is off the market? i've been saving myself all these years for nothing

Just wait a year or two. He'll be back.

#3454 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,323 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

i can't find the thread about death defying food storage and spoilage questions. anyway, yesterday i started cooking rice in my microwave and i forgot all about it after the first 5 minutes of cooking. i remembered it was in the microwave this morning. assuming it doesn't get all gummy if i finish cooking it, will i die if i eat the rice now?

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#3455 beccaboo

beccaboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

i can't find the thread about death defying food storage and spoilage questions. anyway, yesterday i started cooking rice in my microwave and i forgot all about it after the first 5 minutes of cooking. i remembered it was in the microwave this morning. assuming it doesn't get all gummy if i finish cooking it, will i die if i eat the rice now?

You might.

#3456 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,323 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

You might.

thanks. i guess it was nice knowing y'all.

~Jack Handey

#3457 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,361 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

If your apartment is fairly cool, overnight won't kill you. My family has always left rice at room temperature overnight (sometimes for up to three or four days), and as long as it hasn't gotten wet or even just a little mushy, we'll still eat it.

Just don't leave your rice for more than a week. I've done that several times in the last year, and the mould that grows on that stuff amazes me. It's all poofy like cotton candy. Except during summer when it's hot, then it gets slimy and gooey and really really disgusting.

Of course, I'm talking about fully cooked rice left in a rice cooker. Don't know about half-cooked rice or rice left in microwavable containers.

#3458 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,426 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

You might.

$2 worth of rice vs a couple of days of barfing and feeling miserable.

Do the math.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#3459 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,891 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

This is the thread you want.

Of course, I'll say just eat it (which I gather you already did). Why people are so scared of food is beyond me.:rolleyes:

the people who flock to dine at the restaurant on account of its reputation/stars are getting their money's worth because what they are after is a piece of the reputation/stars and nothing else. their money is not wasted. -- mongo jones, 11/5/2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#3460 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,956 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

How long do you expect dress shirts to last? I've got a bunch of shirts, probably between 3-5 years old, and the collars are much too tight. I had my neck measured and, to my surprise as well, it's the same size it's always been. I'm guessing that repeated laundering has shrunk the necks? The rest of the shirts seem to be fine (i.e., the sleeves are still long enough).

And she was.

#3461 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,323 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

You might.

$2 worth of rice vs a couple of days of barfing and feeling miserable.

Do the math.

nothing bad happened, but i probably wouldn't risk it again

~Jack Handey

#3462 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,014 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

How long do you expect dress shirts to last? I've got a bunch of shirts, probably between 3-5 years old, and the collars are much too tight. I had my neck measured and, to my surprise as well, it's the same size it's always been. I'm guessing that repeated laundering has shrunk the necks? The rest of the shirts seem to be fine (i.e., the sleeves are still long enough).

how often do you launder them? I'm happy with 2 years or so laundering them every week or two. Then I start to tear the elbows - and maybe you can keep repairing them for 6 months or so.
Why not mayo?

#3463 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

how often do you launder them? I'm happy with 2 years or so laundering them every week or two. Then I start to tear the elbows - and maybe you can keep repairing them for 6 months or so.

The shirts I have that are in heavy rotation only last about 2 years. I don't wear ties to work so I'm not sure if the necks are shrinking.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#3464 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,084 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

It never occurred to me that it might not be because I'm always getting fatter.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#3465 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,139 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

The rest of the shirts seem to be fine (i.e., the sleeves are still long enough).

Too bad. It would have made a better story.

Posted Image

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"Sorry about your cookie." - Steve R.'s response to Jim Leff's epic rant.