Photo

Clueless questions II (The Ones You Really Want Answered)

• Please log in to reply
4002 replies to this topic

#3466 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,144 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:27 PM

so, please to explain me manhattan nail salon tipping. what does one tip on a $50 service [ e.g., gel polish, which is kind of labor intensive]? a $25 service? i see people tipping less than $5 on $50, which seems measly and others tipping $10, which seems princely.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#3467 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,181 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:53 AM

I tip 20%, I am a regular of a few years standing at the nail place I patronize. I almost always tip in cash but most of the people I have observed adding the tip to their credit card instruct the manicurist to add a 20% tip.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#3468 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,289 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:10 PM

I bought a whole lot of smelts. The largest appear to be about 6" long (maybe a little longer?) but most are 4"-5" from what I can tell. I searched online, and some sites say I should scale them, some don't. Some say gut, some don't.

I don't mind heads, but I don't like lots of fish guts. What do I do? Do smelts of this size need gutting? I'm planning to dust them with flour and fry them.

#3469 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,762 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:23 PM

If you really want to (and you haven't cooked them yet; I realize you might have by now), slit the bellies of the biggest ones and rinse out the insides. That size, the guts might be noticeable. Don't worry about scales or heads.

Cooking: you've got the right idea. I did some a few weeks ago in a tempura batter, and that was great. But seasoned flour works fine. Just fry in batches so they don't stick together.

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#3470 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,289 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

Haven't done them yet--am doing them tonight! So you're reply is just in time! I can't wait to eat some fried smelts without noticeable guts. Mmmmm. . .

#3471 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,762 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:45 AM

One of the few foods I miss from my days in Detroit. We get tiny fish, "spearing" according to the Blue Moon fishers (that's what I tempuraed). But a big ol' Midwestern mess o' smelts is a wonderful thing.

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

#3472 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,351 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:05 AM

We get tiny fish, "spearing" according to the Blue Moon fishers (that's what I tempuraed).

Probably small Silversides this time of year. Not my favorite, smelts are better.
I never said that

#3473 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,762 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:23 PM

We get tiny fish, "spearing" according to the Blue Moon fishers (that's what I tempuraed).

Probably small Silversides this time of year. Not my favorite, smelts are better.

True: smelts are meatier and have more flavor. But I can't resist making tiny fried fish once each year, so spearing it was.

#3474 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,289 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:21 PM

Some of my smelts were a little sandy. I think it was the eyeballs. Some of the ones I thought were OK were a little guttier than I like, but still fine eating.

#3475 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,144 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:10 PM

why is it suddenly wrong to misrepresent your experience and accomplishments on your resume?

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#3476 memesuze

memesuze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:34 PM

If you had a 45"x45" old linen tablecloth that's filled with holes and stains, how would you re-purpose it whole or in pieces?

eyeglasses cleaning cloth?
glass drying cloth?
strainer?
dustcloth?

Any of these especially good or especially bad uses? Any other swell uses?
"When you think about it, all of my greatest work is poop tomorrow." - Mario Batali

Even if you live to be 100, life is short.

#3477 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,144 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:42 PM

If you had a 45"x45" old linen tablecloth that's filled with holes and stains, how would you re-purpose it whole or in pieces?

glass drying cloth?
strainer?
dustcloth?

make a bag for holding clothes pins
is the linen fine enough to be used as a clothes pressing cloth?

~Jack Handey

#3478 memesuze

memesuze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

glass drying cloth?
strainer?
dustcloth?

already have a clothes pin bag

very nice smooth old linen, but remind me when I might need a clothes pressing cloth - silk? when else?
"When you think about it, all of my greatest work is poop tomorrow." - Mario Batali

Even if you live to be 100, life is short.

#3479 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,144 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:58 PM

glass drying cloth?
strainer?
dustcloth?

already have a clothes pin bag

very nice smooth old linen, but remind me when I might need a clothes pressing cloth - silk? when else?

for any fiber that you don't want to pick up a sheen from pressing. or cottons with lycra or spandex added

~Jack Handey

#3480 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,762 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:05 PM

That's big enough for all those uses. The clothes-pressing part will last a long, long time, as can the drying.dusting parts (assuming you wash them when necessary). That still leaves plenty for straining; just make sure it's thoroughly rinsed after each washing, to rid it of detergent residue.

And of course, no fabric softeners, ever.