1029 replies to this topic

#1006 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:06 AM

I don't know: sometimes, the advisory that there is unpleasant stuff in a document or whatever never matches the person concerned's response to said document.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#1007 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:40 AM

a sort of interesting article about DNA testing.

I think 23 and Me is one of the more well-known companies (founded by the wife of one of the google guys, I think).

#1008 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

Found out last night that my surname isn't Schulhoff. Because of a situation with my great grandfather, he changed his name (and from what I have determined not legally).

My true surname is Fehrensen.

#1009 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:57 PM

And from what I just learned he listed "Bavaria" as his place of birth. Feher is a small city in the north of Switzerland, which has its own coat of arms. So as a son of Feher, just learned that I'm Swiss - as least on my father's side. Also learend the city is more that 75% Catholic - so that explains why my father's side was Catholic as opposed to Lutheran.

#1010 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

foodie52: as you can readily see from the above posts, there's no magic age to reveal these things. Apparently, Rich's family held on to the info. about his background until he was mature enough to be able to handle it and, from their perspective, that was after he turned 60 (or is it 80?). Now Peg (Rich's wife), Ginny & I and other friends will have to carefully monitor him to make sure that they didn't act too early. :ph43r:

Seriously, I think that there is a DNA test battery that will give a health profile and I recall hearing about the company that prasantrin cited. Maybe Peg knows more about this... she's a noted MD in the children health field. I'll ask her (or maybe Rich will). My own take on revealing history and providing information is that there's only "gut feeling" in determining when the "right" time might be. And you/your husband are clearly in the best position to figure that out for Natalie. My 2cents would be that the only factor worth considering in the decision is whether the info. can be safely emotionally handled by her.

Again, you have my utmost respect for what you have accomplished and what you've been willing to do. Have fun this summer in your travels.
Please... no more snow.

#1011 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,335 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

Nataly is visiting Bogota for the first time on her own. She bought her ticket (saved up for it from her earnings) and is staying with Mariem. Mario picked her up at the airport.

While we were packing for the trip , she told me she needed one nice outfit for Tuesday, I asked her what was happening Tuesday and she said, "I'm going to be representing you at Hogares Club Michin." (The orphanage where we provide vocational training )Pause. "And I don't want to look like them".

Here's the email we received from her last night:

hello

I am fine and happy
Mariem and I when shopping for things that I need
I will have to renew my Colombian Passport because my does not have
the cedula information in it. so I am doing that on Monday. Is not festivo Un milagro!!!!
it does rian a lot but is bogota. On Tuesday I am going to Hogares

Those are my plans so far
miss you a lot

love of
NJTK emo5.gif

I love the joke about it not being a holiday on Monday! During the adoption, we ran into so many weeks that had Monday holidays and slowed all processes down.

How far we have come....

[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.

#1012 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,946 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:20 PM

Not to downplay your experience in any way, but did you ever consider that this story should be a film?

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#1013 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,364 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:25 PM

Nataly is visiting Bogota for the first time on her own. She bought her ticket (saved up for it from her earnings) and is staying with Mariem. Mario picked her up at the airport.
While we were packing for the trip , she told me she needed one nice outfit for Tuesday, I asked her what was happening Tuesday and she said, "I'm going to be representing you at Hogares Club Michin." (The orphanage where we provide vocational training )Pause. "And I don't want to look like them".

Here's the email we received from her last night:

hello

I am fine and happy
Mariem and I when shopping for things that I need
I will have to renew my Colombian Passport because my does not have
the cedula information in it. so I am doing that on Monday. Is not festivo Un milagro!!!!
it does rian a lot but is bogota. On Tuesday I am going to Hogares

Those are my plans so far
miss you a lot

love of
NJTK emo5.gif

I love the joke about it not being a holiday on Monday! During the adoption, we ran into so many weeks that had Monday holidays and slowed all processes down.

How far we have come....

I love this.
Future Legacy Participant.

#1014 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,335 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:10 PM

hollywood, I wouldn't even know how to begin making a film. I tried to pitch the blog as a book  to a number of editors years ago. Had some interest but then dropped.

I wanted proceeds from sales to go to the charity. I need someone younger than I, more savvy and with a lot more experience in publishing/pitching/writing.

#1015 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,335 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:14 PM

Wow. It is practically EIGHT YEARS to the DAY that we started this process. I just looked back at page 1.

#1016 peppyre

peppyre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

I can't believe that it's been 8 years! That just blows me away. 

#1017 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,734 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:20 PM

Too wonderful.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#1018 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:15 PM

There are so many amazing elements to this story.

It sounds like Nataly is enjoying her visit.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#1019 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,946 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:32 PM

Doesn't Ms. Bullock live there?  Maybe you should take a meeting.

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#1020 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,335 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:32 AM

http://www.flickr.co...00/12180982133/

Nataly is doing great. She has a job in the Deli dept. at HEB. She lives with her boyfriend, a 6'4" redheaded graduate from the Univ. of Texas. He works for Time Warner. I believe there may be a wedding in 2015. Her dog, Tonalli, is still alive and kicking. Nataly is happy and healthy, and loves her life. We are blessed. And so is she.

(again, if any of you have the skills to upload the photo, have at it......sheesh......)