Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 05:31 PM

Today, I love my job

Just received an advance of a book I have been working on for over a year

The crispness of the pages and the cover along with the quality of what is on the inside gives me a high that drugs, sex or even foie can't match

#2 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 05:46 PM

This week I hate my job, thanks to that snot-nosed little bitch Amanda Hesser, and I don't care who reads this. Criticism is one thing; hatchet jobs that threaten people's livelihoods are quite another.

On the other hand, how many jobs provide an opportunity to tell the boss, "I'm off to drink bourbon for an hour"?
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#3 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 07:08 PM

I hate reviewing grant applications. The applicants are so desperate to make the application criticism-proof that they provide far too much trivial experimental detail, inevitably losing sight of the point of what they're proposing to do. Reading these things is like wading through quicksand. Then I have to evaluate the proposal on the basis of opaque NIH criteria and provide a helpful critique. (They frown on "This proposal is stupid and so are the applicants.")

I had to do four of these things last week. This week it's only one. But it's 4,000 pages long.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#4 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,347 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 07:18 PM

This week I hate my job, thanks to that snot-nosed little bitch Amanda Hesser, and I don't care who reads this. Criticism is one thing; hatchet jobs that threaten people's livelihoods are quite another.

On the other hand, how many jobs provide an opportunity to tell the boss, "I'm off to drink bourbon for an hour"?

I love it when you talk dirty. :wub:
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#5 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 07:21 PM

I like the pay check.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#6 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 07:25 PM

I like the pay check.

I'd like a job like that

v
...it actually comes down to what thrills you - Hugh Johnson

authenticity is a fog that recedes just when you think you may be getting near it - R Schonfeld

The most political act we do on a daily basis is to eat - Prof J Pretty

this city without boundaries we all share - zigzackly

#7 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 07:31 PM

Swop?
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#8 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 08:02 PM

I love it when you talk dirty.  :wub:

:lol:
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#9 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 08:54 PM

I love my job because I love the subject of my work and because I make my own schedule, and because it provides a good living and because Mazal and I do it together.

I hate my job when a client assumes his expertise at his own job is tranferable to my field. I hate it even worse when a client assumes that, because it's the art business, he will somehow automatically be cheated. ("Screwed with my pants on" is how one put it a long time ago.)

I don't mind when someone fails to recognize the quality of the work I've done. I recognize it.
They're really rockin' on Bandstand.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Advocating integrated avatars and sig lines since 2006

#10 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 09:00 PM

Swop?

Wilfrid, I guarantee you don't want to go within a million miles of my job :ph43r:

v

authenticity is a fog that recedes just when you think you may be getting near it - R Schonfeld

#11 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 10:50 PM

One of the things that I like about my job is that I get the chance to work with some very clever people. No, make that Very Clever People. I’ve just started collaborating with a chap who helped his brother build one the world’s most powerful supercomputers, in his apartment, where they used it to calculate pi to over two billion decimal places.

#12 ampletuna

ampletuna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 09:14 AM

to calculate pi to over two billion decimal places.

why?? :unsure:
Yes, I would not recommend smell, touch or taste when it comes to old cock selection. Opinions differ though. Adam 2/3/05

#13 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 02:42 PM

In the hopes of finding a pattern. After you've solved Hilbert's tenth problem (determination of the solvability of a Diophantine equation) at the age of seventeen, you've got to find something to do for the rest of your life.

#14 Basildog

Basildog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 03:19 PM

Geat article on the brothers.very interesting !

3.14159265358979 is about all i remmber from school days, don't ask me why i memorised pi to 14 places but i did and its stuck in my head ever since :D

#15 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 03:59 PM

That article made my evening yesterday, until it started delving too deeply in the pi thing for my limited attention span. Beautifully written.

Lucky you, Glyn.

v