#106 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,890 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE(memesuze @ Jul 2 2009, 02:46 PM) View Post
the thought of either chocolate or milk added to a puer makes my palate and head spin

that's what i was thinking. it was fancy food show swag so i thought i'd at least try it. i'm not a milk in tea person so perhaps it's worse than i thought for me to even suggest it. i'm happy to send you a packet to try. it was not like any puerh i've even tried in the past.

the marketing description sounds even worse

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#107 memesuze

memesuze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 12:36 AM

QUOTE(splinky @ Jul 2 2009, 05:32 PM) View Post
the thought of either chocolate or milk added to a puer makes my palate and head spin

that's what i was thinking. it was fancy food show swag so i thought i'd at least try it. i'm not a milk in tea person so perhaps it's worse than i thought for me to even suggest it. i'm happy to send you a packet to try. it was not like any puerh i've even tried in the past.

No thanks.
With all that static going on, there's no way to taste the pu-erh - which might be the point for a company not known for its quality of its pu-erh or for its ability to handle marketing of a real pu-erh. They appear to leaping on the tea bandwagon - like those companies which market green tea in a bag and instruct the user to brew with boiling water for 3 minutes!

I'm not a pu-erh aficionado, but I"ve had a few brewings. It's close enough to the teas I usually ingest that I'd want the pu-erh taste to shine instead of running away in horror.
"When you think about it, all of my greatest work is poop tomorrow." - Mario Batali

Even if you live to be 100, life is short.

#108 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,890 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 12:42 AM

QUOTE(memesuze @ Jul 2 2009, 08:36 PM) View Post
QUOTE(splinky @ Jul 2 2009, 05:32 PM) View Post

No thanks.
With all that static going on, there's no way to taste the pu-erh - which might be the point for a company not known for its quality of its pu-erh or for its ability to handle marketing of a real pu-erh. They appear to leaping on the tea bandwagon - like those companies which market green tea in a bag and instruct the user to brew with boiling water for 3 minutes!

I'm not a pu-erh aficionado, but I"ve had a few brewings. It's close enough to the teas I usually ingest that I'd want the pu-erh taste to shine instead of running away in horror.

i concur. it seems like they are trying to push it as a coffee alternative. perhaps because it's not the best quality. in any event, i'd never be tempted to buy it.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#109 memesuze

memesuze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:27 PM

I did a quick search and couldn't fine a separate thread on tisanes [herbal teas and other brews made with plants other than the camellian sinensis and family].

I'm a fan of cold or iced mint tea in the summer, but never seem to get around to brewing it. I have this big sprawling patch of spearmint outside and decided to try cold-brewing it. I took six or so long [~~ 15"] sprigs, stripped off the leaves, and muddled them a bit in my big thai mortar and pestle [because the first non-muddled batch was too bland], plopped them in a pitcher, filled it with water and steeped in the fridge overnight. After straining, I ended up with a big batch of full-flavored mint tea and didn't have to heat up the kitchen or wait for it to cool down before putting away.
"When you think about it, all of my greatest work is poop tomorrow." - Mario Batali

Even if you live to be 100, life is short.

#110 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,847 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:31 PM

I've been drinking licorice root tea lately, and I quite like it. It doesn't suck the way most tea does. I've also tried yerba matte -- indifferent. Didn't feel no buzz, but I did have an urge to take people out back in shoot them in the head.

And she was.

#111 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,890 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:36 PM

has anyone tried this tea yet? steven smith tea maker

this is the guy who started stash and tazo before selling out.

~Jack Handey

#112 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,153 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:44 PM

I've been drinking licorice root tea lately, and I quite like it. It doesn't suck the way most tea does. I've also tried yerba matte -- indifferent. Didn't feel no buzz, but I did have an urge to take people out back in shoot them in the head.

Careful with drinking too much licorice tea. I was drinking vats of Yogi's Breath Deep,its primary ingredient licorice root, suggested by my doctor to help alleviate my asthma. When I was hospitalized in October I had blood work done and my potassium was very low (and a potassium i.v. is literally a pain in the arm--it burns going in). Doctors were puzzled by this. I did a little research and it seems that ingestion of large quantities of licorice fucks with your potassium levels.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#113 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:46 PM

Haha I like this bit -

Smith moved to Avignon with his wife, Kim and their ten-year-old son. But after a year of wearing scarves and eating lunch for two hours, the path of tea called them back to Portland.

It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#114 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,591 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:09 PM

Yeah--I got some as swag when I was last in Portland.

What can I say? It's good tea. Really enjoyed the tastes we had at his location, but then those were brewed fresh, under perfect conditions. I'm not enough of a feinschmecker to know if it's great stuff.

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#115 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,890 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:13 PM

feinschmecker

can you say that on a public forum?

~Jack Handey

#116 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,591 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:36 PM

feinschmecker

can you say that on a public forum?

Why not? it's not a religious term, is it?

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#117 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

Anyone ever make iced tea concentrate? I did some reading, but proportions and times are all over the place (one had you steep black tea for 10 minutes--wouldn't that make for a very bitter concentrate?).

I'm thinking for black tea (in this case, Mariage Freres Bolero), twice as much tea per cup of water, steeped for the usual amount of time, then use two parts water per part concentrate.

Sound reasonable?

But for iced herbal tea (peppermint), I'll do 3 or 4 times the usual amount of tea per cup of water, but the same dilution. I like strong iced peppermint tea.

#118 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,890 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

Anyone ever make iced tea concentrate? I did some reading, but proportions and times are all over the place (one had you steep black tea for 10 minutes--wouldn't that make for a very bitter concentrate?).

I'm thinking for black tea (in this case, Mariage Freres Bolero), twice as much tea per cup of water, steeped for the usual amount of time, then use two parts water per part concentrate.

Sound reasonable?

But for iced herbal tea (peppermint), I'll do 3 or 4 times the usual amount of tea per cup of water, but the same dilution. I like strong iced peppermint tea.

i do it all the time. i tend for steep for about 5 minutes but steeping time and ratios of water to tea are really up to your personal taste. sometimes i add simple syrup to the concentrate other times i leave it unsweetened.

~Jack Handey

#119 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

After 7 minutes all of the good stuff is out of the tea leaves & you are getting nothing but an increasing concentration of tannic acid, which is bitter & unpleasant. So I would not steep a tea for 10 minutes.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#120 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:31 PM

Does it keep for a long time? Like one week? Two?

I have a squirter of simple syrup at work so I can add sweetener as needed/desired (I've got a bottle of homemade coffee concentrate in the fridge at work, and now will add tea concentrate to my stash)