635 replies to this topic

#361 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:13 PM

had dinner there last night.. arrived early and only waited like 20 minutes... the stand out was the roasted fall vegetable salad. it was topped with this awesome ricotta salata. the cheese was grated in thin strips. there were roasted and pickled beets, fennel, and some kale... some roasted pistachios... oh my this was just amazing. very blue hill'y i would say. we had other things and the clam pizza of course.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#362 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,505 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

1. It would be stupid to say that the fried olives stuffed with pancetta and ricotta on the current antipasti are the best cocktail accompaniments in the City. Let's just say they're among the best.

2. Another current antipasto, Calabrian squid, shows either the perversity or the studied purity of vision that keeps Franny's a pizzeria with antipasti rather than a restaurant with secondi. Anywhere else, they'd serve this combination of squid, salami, and vegetables in spicy sauce in a slightly larger portion, and it would be a main dish. But since here they don't have main dishes, it's an antipasto. It's outrageously good, BTW.

3. Spaghetti with Meyer Lemon sauce is available here each year for a few weeks in January. We're there now. This is one of those very simple, very perfect dishes.

PS -- Big huge major news, but I don't feel comfortable disclosing it yet.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#363 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

Ahhh shizzz.. Please say clinton hill, please say clinton hill. But is it Williamsburg or Atlantic Yards? Shit., it's Manhattan, it's so Manhattan, damn you Manhattan.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#364 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,505 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:27 PM

None of those.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#365 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,577 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

The picture of me they have in the kitchen must be way out of date now too. :lol:

#366 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,900 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:07 PM

PS -- Big huge major news, but I don't feel comfortable disclosing it yet.

I hear they're moving across the street.

And she was.

#367 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,505 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:10 PM

OK, then. If it's out it's out:

The big news is: FRANNY'S IS MOVING . . . to Park Slope.

Yes, Franny's is crossing the street to much larger quarters (much closer to my apartment, too -- so Prospect Heights' loss is my gain).

Their new location is of some interest to old Brooklynites. It's the former Blockbuster store on Flatbush between Sterling and 8th Ave. It was a Blockbuster for more than 20 years. Before that, however, it was a bistro. Not just any bistro. A bistro started by people who came out of the kitchen of La Cote Basque but, living in Brooklyn, wanted to take advantage of the lower real estate costs and cook for their neighborhood. In other words: early NBC! Too early, unfortunately: the bistro opened around 1985, and, excellent as it was, the neighborhood just wasn't ready to support it. It was a large space (happily for Franny's), and they couldn't fill it with French cooking. Soon, they put a divider down the middle of the dining room, and half remained devoted to French bistro food, the other half to fried whiting sandwiches. The fried whiting sandwiches did much better than the bistro food, and eventually the whole place went under and morphed into a Blockbuster.

The bistro truly was excellent. They served a bourride that, at least in memory, was even better than Alain Allegretti's. The bistro was also the site of the single most uncomfortable dinner I've ever attended, where my parents met my prospective in-laws for the first time.

Even more interesting, though, is the bistro's predecessor. It was a legendary Brooklyn catering hall that had closed just before I moved into the neighborhood. Generations of Brooklynites celebrated weddings and other occasions there. I can't recall its name. Maybe Steve R. can.

So now this will be the new expanded home of Franny's. As of now, I'm told they're planning on keeping roughly the same format. There will be two brick ovens. In addition to a large dining room, I'm told they'll have a private dining room and a take-out counter (which, given this location's proximity to two subway stops, will mint money). I'm betting there'll STILL be a wait for seating.

BUT that's not all. Franny's is also holding onto its current location. It will be used for some other purpose. I'm sure that one idea being bandied about is a fine dining restaurant. Since it's fairly near the new basketball arena, however, other uses suggest themselves as well. I'm told the kitchen facility (including the oven) will remain in any event, though.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#368 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,900 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:11 PM

Wow. It's like deja vu.

(If you really wanted to keep this secret, feel free to delete my posts.)

And she was.

#369 SethG

SethG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,288 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:14 PM

Tasting Room redux?
Why yes, I do have a rock climbing blog! Climb and Punishment

#370 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,505 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:15 PM

Uh-oh.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#371 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,505 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:19 PM

Wow. It's like deja vu.

(If you really wanted to keep this secret, feel free to delete my posts.)

It's more a question of whether THEY wanted to keep it a secret.

But if you know and I know, it isn't much of a secret.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#372 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:15 PM

HOLY SHIT! it's really kind of sad how often I fantasize about them opening a french place.

I went last week and while I didn't have the lemon pasta the one with tomato sauce and botarga is really excellent, as was the carbonara dish that preceded the lemon pasta. my wife really liked the proseco based cocktail.

#373 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,505 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:21 PM

I liked it better when Eater didn't deign to mention us here.

I hope I'm not barred from Franny's.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#374 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,505 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:44 PM

Stone will want to know that the rumored new space is next door to a new Weight Watchers.

Coincidence? Or good citizenship?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#375 SethG

SethG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,288 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:08 AM

I'm very fond of the Franny's we know, despite the crowds. I hope they don't mess it up.

I should add that these guys really seem to know what they're doing, so there's good reason to think they won't mess it up.
Why yes, I do have a rock climbing blog! Climb and Punishment