635 replies to this topic

#31 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 06:18 PM

I'd like to pit Franny against Mrs. Totonno in a cage match.

#32 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,184 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 06:22 PM

I had been led to believe she casts a pall, and she was looking quite put-upon when we arrived, but we actually got a big smile out of her later.

What do you think it is about purveying pizza that makes these ladies such sourpusses? :blink:
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#33 fantasty

fantasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 06:24 PM

Steve R. could run a DiFara's concession at the event. :blink:
"My hogs were so lean you had to put lard in the pan just to cook your bacon" - Papa Wilson, 1918 - 2007

#34 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 06:29 PM

Mrs. T would be furious at the presence of an inferior gas-oven product.

#35 fantasty

fantasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 06:32 PM

...which would make for an even testier event, if you see where I'm going.
"My hogs were so lean you had to put lard in the pan just to cook your bacon" - Papa Wilson, 1918 - 2007

#36 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 06:44 PM

Apparently, my plot to get DiFara mentioned everywhere is working.

Although Ms. T. is a formidable opponent, I think that Franny will win easily. I have never gone to Franny's, despite all the good food reports, solely because of her ability to alienate even the most likable of my friends. And believe me, my friends are used to tolerence :o , yet they came out cursing and vowing to stay away.

This space available… contact owner.

#37 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,033 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 08:36 PM

Is Franny's still serving their pies unsliced? Always seemed like something of an inconvenient affectation to me.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#38 fantasty

fantasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 08:38 PM

Yes.

#39 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,233 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 03:39 PM

Di Fara's is mentioned prominently in today's NY Daily News. It tied with Franny's for best pizza in NY. There's another round-up of best pizza in NY, borough by borough.

The methodology is suspect though. Teams of reporters went out, so they're looking at different reports and evaluations to compile a report.

(This looks like a very familiar article. Is it a recycle of something they did earlier, or a Post article?)

Several Winners

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#40 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,184 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 03:08 PM

Recently I had been daydreaming about Franny's clam pizza and last night my wishes were fulfilled by a garlickly, creamy pie studded with tender, briny clams. Better than I had remembered it. Franny's is all a thin-crust pizza should be: crisp, bubbly, blackened on the edges. The other pizza we ordered was awesome, perhaps even as good as the heavenly clam version. Sweet, charred rings of red onion were draped on a tomato pizza blanketed with a sharp, aged provolone. Mmmmmm.

Fava bean crostini were swathed with a tasty puree that was a bit too minty--it was slightly out of balance. We had an exquisite tangle of dandelion including the teeny buds, chives, pecorino and hazelnuts in a lightly lemony dressing. This salad was so fresh-tasting and spring-like. The dandelions tasted just picked, and were so tender even the flower stems were delicious. Asparagus in a much stronger lemon dressing thick with parmigiana married well with anchovies and a soft-cooked egg. For me, the egg could have been a bit less cooked, but this was still a standout dish. A very gently priced nero di avola was a good accompaniment to a damn near perfect meal.

Service was, as always, earnest. I remarked that Franny's does not train employees but indoctrinate them.
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson

#41 lovelynugget

lovelynugget

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:12 PM

Every time I try to make over to Franny's I get waylaid at Taro and stuff myself with sushi. :lol: Unfortunately, if sushi and pizza were having a death match and my tummy were the judge, pretty much sushi would win all the time. :lol:

#42 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,184 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 03:39 PM

Every time I have the clam pizza at Frannys it puts a smile on my face for hours. Last night's was an especially perfect one, so light it almost hovered over the plate and extremely garlickly. Vegetable fritto misto was delicious but the revelation was the roasted pancetta appetizer: strips of tender and extremely porky meat with a few peppery greens and apple slices giving snap and bite. Mmmm. We had very good sauvignon blanc from Alto Adige to go with---I am trying to recall the producer but only remember it started with an M.

#43 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 04:04 PM

love the clam and buffala pizzas, mmm.... i might stop for a snack after my dinner nearby
Eat me, it says. Eat me and die. -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#44 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 04:52 PM

How was the service/'tude, Daisy?
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#45 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,184 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 04:58 PM

Service was decent, although I still think the servers come off as members of a cult rather than employees of a restaurant. The bartender is very nice and friendly--or the guy tending bar last night anyway. Our server did slap the check down on the table before we asked for it--this was remarked on by another member of the party. We were there from a little before eight until about 9:45 and it was fairly busy but not full at any time.