38 replies to this topic

#1 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,627 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:00 PM

I'm not waiting for Cristina or Jaymes! I want ceviche! But first, whiat happened to all those other cooking project threads? They've vanished!

My ceviche probably isn't a real dish but I can always make it with things I have on hand and it's often a real hit.

a big can of clams (not the Costco size, but not the tuna size either.)
red onion
radishes
serrano peppers
lime juice
salt
cilantro
garlic

Chop, chop, chop, Stir, stir, stir.

I find it's more of a hit if I have lots of radishes, oddly enough.

Now what's your ceviche? Hopefully more authentic than mine!

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#2 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:05 PM

Thank you for getting this project going Rancho Gordo! I can't wait to get started either! Cristina and Jaymes can weigh in hopefully with their recipes and tips/advice when they have time, too.

To find the other Mexican Cooking Projects threads, they are still in the Mexico, Central & South America Forum. From the front page of MF, click on the Mexico Forum. Then at the bottom of the page we just need to change the default from the last 30 days to "the beginning" and voila everything in this forum is more easily found. The site keeps it at 30 days so the windows load up quicker.

#3 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,201 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:06 PM

At the very end of this thread there is a brief discussion about ceviche.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#4 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:10 PM

I'm doing an Algerian mussel ceviche this weekend for a blog, so I'll post that here. It's probably even that different.
Gone fishing for the summer.

#5 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:12 PM

At the very end of this thread there is a brief discussion about ceviche.

Thanks, with Daisy's recipe for scallop ceviche that looks wonderful, too! Yum. Does anyone mind if we copy it on this thread, too, please? :lol:

#6 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,627 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:21 PM

. Does anyone mind if we copy it on this thread, too, please? :lol:

You really like to push the envelope, don't you? This is how you drive me away every time. What am I supposed to do? Act like it's OK? Well, it's not. it's wrong and I think you should know it. ......oh wait, I thought this was a PM. So sorry. Continue.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#7 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:31 PM

Ok rancho, you trouble maker :lol: . At anyrate, it looks delicious!

I am at your mercy as I have never made ceviche, only eaten it.

edit to add: Here is Daisy's recipe from the link:

I love all ceviche, but this is my absolute favorite: Use, preferably, small bay scallops. Or cut up sea scallops to approximate the size of the bays. Cover with lime juice for about an hour. Drain and mix with very finely chopped sweet red pepper and jalapeno pepper and chopped cilantro. I like a lot of cilantro. Add salt to taste.

I would love to learn how to make leche de tigre, the shellfish ceviche with a coconut milk base that I tasted at La Pollada de Laura.

#8 Tamar G

Tamar G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:43 PM

My friend makes cevice like in Daisy's recipe, but using cut up Tilapia and I don't think she has the sweet red pepper. Why wouldn't you put all the ingredients in with the lime juice in the beginning?

#9 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,201 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:46 PM

Just a personal preference, but I like the vegetables and herbs non-marinated and therefore more crisp. I think it tastes fresher.
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson

#10 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:52 PM

I'm not waiting for Cristina or Jaymes! I want ceviche!

Oooh, oooh, oooh....I love it when you get all forceful and take charge.

Yes, as a matter of fact, I do have a good ceviche recipe. It's Panamanian, because I lived there for four years and that's where I first learned to love ceviche.

I'll dig out my recipe and post it.

The Voice of America

#11 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,201 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 06:07 PM

And a footnote: I have made the ceviche I described on the other thread with rock shrimp as well, which was also quite tasty.

#12 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 06:12 PM

I always use those little key limes to make my ceviche cooking liquid. Onions and chiles go in with the seafood at the beginning, but things liked diced tomatoes need to be added at the end. As for cilantro, I add some at the start and most at the end, if I am using it.

I also like to serve my ceviche with a little condiment of finely chopped chiles mashed with coarse salt and a little lime juice. This is for people who like it to be even hotter. It's also a good thing to serve some slices of roasted sweet potato and corn on the cob on the side to cool down the chiles.

#13 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,627 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 06:41 PM

And a footnote: I have made the ceviche I described on the other thread with rock shrimp as well, which was also quite tasty.

How long would it take to do medium-sized regular shrimp? Is it practical? In those Mexican seafood cocktails, aren't the shrimp boiled first?

How about the addition of radishes?

Is ceviche a Latin-American invention or is there a dish or inspiration in Madre Espana?

Why am I asking so many questions?

#14 Leslie

Leslie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 07:00 PM

Is ceviche a Latin-American invention or is there a dish or inspiration in Madre Espana?

Some people from Peru claim it to be their national dish. An interesting article on the origins of "ceviche/cebiche" Here

#15 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,201 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 07:24 PM

And a footnote:  I have made the ceviche I described on the other thread with rock shrimp as well, which was also quite tasty.

How long would it take to do medium-sized regular shrimp? Is it practical? In those Mexican seafood cocktails, aren't the shrimp boiled first?

How about the addition of radishes?

Why am I asking so many questions?

With larger shrimp, I think you'd have to either cut them up or boil them first. Rock shrimp are more tender and the flesh (please pardon the expression) isn't as dense.

I am no expert, but as for radishes if you like them then why not?

Perhaps ceviche originated as a riff on escabeche, the Spanish dish made with cooked fish marinated in citrus?