38 replies to this topic

#16 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,619 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 03:52 PM

Daisy, have you ever made the scallop ceviche with frozen scallops? I have a Trader Joe package in the freezer and I wonder if it's worth doing defrosted. With all the strong flacors, I don't think it should matter too much.

I'm kind of desperate to get some of this food out of my freezer. I love to save things but I almost never end up using them, mostly because there's so much in there I can't tell what I have, except gallons and gallons of chicken stock.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#17 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 04:44 PM

I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I have a package of frozen mussels someone gave me.
Gone fishing for the summer.

#18 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,619 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 05:02 PM

Are these the ones you're using this weekend? Are Algerian much diiferent than other mussels?

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#19 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 07:15 PM

Aarn Sanchez makes an unbelievable razor clam ceviche. The secret, he says, is celery juice, which is mixed with a pure of tomatillos, serrano chiles and cilantro. Lime juice is added only when the dish is ordered, along with some slivered celery for crunch.
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#20 fantasty

fantasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 08:19 PM

Cathy, is it a standard on the menu?
"My hogs were so lean you had to put lard in the pan just to cook your bacon" - Papa Wilson, 1918 - 2007

#21 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 08:21 PM

Not a standard, but for now it's the fourth ceviche on a plato del mar. I'll ask him to make it tomorrow night. :lol:

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#22 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 08:38 PM

Are these the ones you're using this weekend? Are Algerian much diiferent than other mussels?

I'm using frozen black mussels, similar to Mediterranean black mussels from what I know.

I wouldn't recommend using green mussels at all for this preparation.

EDIT: Oops, it occured to me while I was picking up the kids that I will be making an escabeche, not ceviche... sorry :lol:
Gone fishing for the summer.

#23 cristina

cristina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:14 AM

Sorry, you guys...if I ever feel better, I'll post something here. Right now--ugh. Back to the couch. Play nice.
Mexico Cooks!

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

#24 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:16 AM

Sorry you're not feeling well, cristina. :lol:

-- Francis Mallman

#25 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 06:20 PM

Ceviche Panama

Fresh fish -- white firm
white or yellow onion, chopped
4 jalapenos (or other peppers) to taste, finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
scant 1/2 cup chopped sweet red peppers (can use jarred pimentos)
fresh limes
1/4 C white vinegar
1/4 C olive oil
1/2 tsp oregano, lightly toasted and rubbed between your palms
salt and pepper to taste

Skin, bone, and chop fresh fish into small bite-sized pieces. Place in glass bowl and add fresh lime juice to cover. Add vinegar, oil, oregano, S&P.

Seal bowl and place in refrigerator to "cook."

When fish flesh is firm, serve with saltines. Condiments: bottled hot sauce, chopped tomatoes, cilantro, avocado.

Can serve on tostados.

Okay. This is the recipe just as I got it from a Panamian cook while I was living there. She didn't say exactly how much fish this recipe calls for. You just eyeball it.

The Voice of America

#26 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,619 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 04:54 PM

We had friends up from the city last night and I was too tired to make one of these new ceviches so I made my old clam standard. Key elements are lots of lime and lots of salt, if you ask me!

Posted Image

I find those long French radishes so much easier to chop.

It was really warm out and we ate outside. The ceviche is great because it went as an appetizer with the rest of the non-Latin meal (BBQ tri-tip, asparagus and potatoes) without any conflict. If I have salsa and chips or gucamole, I tend to expect the rest of the meal to follow a mariachi beat. Or polka, at least.

#27 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 06:27 PM

RG, that's beyootiful!

That isn't a Luna Garcia platter, is it?

-- Francis Mallman

#28 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,619 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 06:46 PM

RG, that's beyootiful! 

That isn't a Luna Garcia platter, is it?

Thanks.

No, it's "value oriented" (=cheap) piece I picked up in Pto Vallarta. It must have been 2 bucks.

But I had to Google Luna Garcia. Very nice!

#29 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,656 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 06:06 PM

To me, ceviche screams out "fresh" so I think only the freshest fish should be used for ceviche. Nothing frozen, nothing canned.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#30 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 01:19 PM

Posted Image

Ceviche de barracuda
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid