Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 12:53 PM

Flabby Devine? Isn't that a Mouthfuls member ^_^

v
...it actually comes down to what thrills you - Hugh Johnson

authenticity is a fog that recedes just when you think you may be getting near it - R Schonfeld

The most political act we do on a daily basis is to eat - Prof J Pretty

this city without boundaries we all share - zigzackly

#3 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 01:01 PM

Flabby Devine? Isn't that a Mouthfuls member ^_^

v

:lol: The actual name of the bar is Flabby's Devine Food, but everyone just calls it Flabby's or Flabby Devine's. Awesome fried chicken, plate lunches, German dinners, and oysters. Ooh, that reminds me, I forgot Mazzoni's . . .

#4 summer63

summer63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 02:38 PM

Ron
Thanks for posting these!
We go down to Louisville often during the summer.

Every time we go to Louisville we eat at this amazing Chinese restaurant. The last time we were there I had crispy duck, plum sauce and sizzling rice soup. Perfect meal and the place is so beautiful.
There's only one problem. :)
I have no problem finding the place, but remembering the name is another matter.

-therese

#5 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 03:09 PM

Ron
Thanks for posting these!
We go down to Louisville often during the summer.

Every time we go to Louisville we eat at this amazing Chinese restaurant. The last time we were there I had crispy duck, plum sauce and sizzling rice soup. Perfect meal and the place is so beautiful.
There's only one problem. :)
I have no problem finding the place, but remembering the name is another matter.

-therese

wow, I'd love to know which one it is.

Can you describe where its located?

#6 summer63

summer63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 03:58 PM

Hey, I think I found it.

Emperor of China
2210 Holiday Manor Shopping Center, 502.426.1717
I-264 exit 22E at Brownsboro Rd. The Emperor serves the same classic Chinese Mandarin, Szechuan, and Hunan cuisine made famous at the Empress of China. Selected as one of the best restaurants in the world by Ochsner World Dining Guide in 1995 and 1996. Emperor boasts one of the best Chinese chefs in the nation who combines eastern influences with heart-healthy cuisine to feature herbs and teas, steamed and rotisserie dishes. Any specialty prepared upon request. Complete cocktail service. Open 7 days for lunch and dinner. Banquets, catering & carry-out.

The restaurant has a pretty extravagant looking façade - big pillars, dragons etc. It’s deceptive, it sits in this little strip mall; an inacurate, off the cuff reaction is liable to be “tacky chinese joint”. But it is not at all. Once you get past the entrance way and the big fish tanks :P you’re struck by how beautiful it is. All wood, secluded little booths, several stories. I believe there’s even balcony seating. The food is outstanding.

-therese

#7 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 04:38 PM

I don't believe I've ever been. I rarely get out to that part of town, but I will make a trip to try it soon.

Where else do you go when you come to Louisville?

#8 summer63

summer63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:54 PM

That's the only nice place we've hit while down there. That's why your list is valuable. More often than not it's a burger and coke in the blazing sun at the skate park. Though, I do want to try the Thai place next door to the Emperor. We went once and the wait for a table was too long. It's just a little fast food Thai joint, but the food looked good. I love coconut soup. :)

-therese

#9 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 11:30 PM

I was in Lexington a few yrs ago for business and remember one of the local dishes was something like Dirty Brown or Brown Stain or something like that. Ring a bell? I don't recall if I sampled it or not, the nights were pretty lively, but I seem to remember it was something like scrapple.
Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#10 summer63

summer63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 11:53 PM

The only thing I can think of is possible a hot brown? Roast beef, gravy, over toast, maybe cheese involved all melted and gooey. I wonder if hot browns are local? I always thought they were. Lexington is beautiful. Miles and miles of white fences and all those beautiful horses.

#11 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 12:42 AM

Hot brown! That's it. Thanks. Lexington was one of the greenest places I've ever visited. Beautiful.
Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#12 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 12:05 PM

Dirty Brown Stain. :lol: :lol:

The Hot Brown is a local dish named for the Brown Hotel where the English Grill is located. It is an open-faced sandwich that was created to accompany the two martini business lunch.

Two slices of good bread toasted
Topped with slices of turkey
Topped with mornay sauce
Topped with bacon and a thin slice of tomato
Run under the salamander until golden brown and bubbly.

It is delicious and the best way to use your Thanksgiving leftovers.

#13 MyKong

MyKong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 12:15 PM

We had a great meal at Le Relais last May--thanks to Ron's suggestion. Sorry I wasn't able to meet up--the Filson took up most of the time.
"I remembered the old joke that defines eternity as two people and a whole ham." Maurice Naughton

#14 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 12:19 PM

We had a great meal at Le Relais last May--thanks to Ron's suggestion. Sorry I wasn't able to meet up--the Filson took up most of the time.

I really like Le Relais, especially the art deco decor and the setting at the private airfield so you can see the planes come and go. Right now the food is as good as any in Louisville.

The Filson Club is a neat place as well, and its in my 'hood. My condo is about three blocks away.

#15 summer63

summer63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 12:22 PM

Dirty Brown Stain.  :lol:  :lol:

The Hot Brown is a local dish named for the Brown Hotel where the English Grill is located.  It is an open-faced sandwich that was created to accompany the two martini business lunch.

Two slices of good bread toasted
Topped with slices of turkey
Topped with mornay sauce
Topped with bacon and a thin slice of tomato
Run under the salamander until golden brown and bubbly.

It is delicious and the best way to use your Thanksgiving leftovers.

Ahhh, it’s made with turkey.
Prolly the martinis confused me. :D

-therese