156 replies to this topic

#31 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,034 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 04:54 PM

Perhaps we'd all settle on one dish every two weeks, and find various recipes for it and make it and then come back here and chat about it.

That wasn't the original intention.

#32 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 04:56 PM

So what was the original intention that btw came from Jaymes? :lol:
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#33 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 04:57 PM

Okay so Jaymes, since you came up with the idea, how would you like it to go? I'm glad to defer to your wishes since it's your plan...
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#34 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,034 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 05:00 PM

Jaymes' original intention:

"Perhaps we'd all settle on one dish every two weeks, and find various recipes for it and make it and then come back here and chat about it."

In other words, we would not necessarily be cooking at the same time, just within a certain time period, although if someone wanted to re-visit the thread at a later time and make the dish, no one would prevent them from doing so.

#35 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 05:02 PM

Okay, great! Let's select a date for the first group-cook. Sometime this coming week, perhaps?

Okay Jaymes - what's your pleasure?
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#36 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 05:23 PM

In other words, we would not necessarily be cooking at the same time, just within a certain time period, although if someone wanted to re-visit the thread at a later time and make the dish, no one would prevent them from doing so.

Brilliant!
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#37 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,788 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 06:38 PM

shelora, my address is new york city, in queens, in the neighborhood of astoria. the neighborhood, which consists of two family houses and low rise apartments a 20-30 minute subway ride from manhattan, is inhabited by a mishmash of ethnicities. mexicans, mostly from puebla, are pretty recent arrivals.

man, i need a headache

#38 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 11:26 PM

Well. :lol:

Actually, I thought we'd probably do pretty much what we ARE doing, which is all to decide upon a plan together.

But if it's up to me....hum....well, I think it might be good to select one dish, perhaps with accompaniments or variations....and....um....have, say, one week.....and we all make it sometime during that week.

For example, the rajas.

Cristina said she had a recipe for rajas con crema y cebolla. So she'd post a recipe, and we could all try to cook that (or variations or adaptions or if we found another recipe for rajas in one of our books) sometime during whichever week we choose, and then post about it.

I'm up for whatever the group decides. But I will say that it will probably limit participation if we all try to free up the exact same day. I think sorta shooting for one week, and trying several different recipes ought to keep it loose enough to appeal to the most folks.

I do, however, like the idea of everyone sticking to the same general theme for that week. Like the various preparations of rajas the first week. Then wait a week. Then, perhaps, the cochinita. Then Omni's soup.

Something like that. :lol:

And I do think a poll is probably a good idea. We could take nominations, and choose one, and then off to the comals.

But whatever everyone agrees on is fine with me. And I'm looking foward to it!

The Voice of America

#39 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 12:04 AM

Jaymes' original intention:

"Perhaps we'd all settle on one dish every two weeks, and find various recipes for it and make it and then come back here and chat about it."

This is way too liberal. I think the thread should be locked and anyone who cooks the dish outside the Officially Designated Dates on the Calendar loses their posting privileges. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:

#40 Scorched Palate

Scorched Palate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 08:29 PM

Hiya, all. (It's only my second post, so be gentle.)

I'd love to participate in the next cook-together. I probably won't be able to get to rajas in teh next few days due to pre-planned meals and weekend commitments, but I have made them before and love 'em (especially in quesadillas... :().

~Anita
<waving to Jaymes and SeaGal>
I'm no longer participating on Mouthfuls, but feel free to visit our blog.

#41 Abra

Abra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 09:27 PM

'Nother newbie from another board here. I don't think I'll be able to get to the rajas before the group moves on, but I wanted to mention a wonderful pickled rajas recipe, and to say to GG that I've made Jaymes' carnitas recipe with boneless country ribs and they work great.

The recipe is from Diana Kennedy - can we post recipes here with attribution? Some boards are quite uptight about that, but lots of other online food communities allow recipes to be posted, so long as there's correct attribution.

I'm looking forward to the next thing, and I'm another one who loves cochinita pibil and has never made it.

edited to delete specific reference to other board, lest it be construed as derogatory
Abra

Blogging our French adventures at French Letters

#42 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 10:44 PM

I know you're a newbie, and you're most welcome here; as we've reminded other new joiners, we try to avoid slamming other web-sites for their rules. They have theirs, we have ours, and we all make our preferences clear by posting here rather than elsewhere.

Simply, the law of copyright is what it is, and anyone who infringes it here is infringing it. I am certainly not, however, going to try to explain the law. Try to be guided by common sense. It's best to just post a link. If you want to talk about/discuss/critique particular parts of the recipe, then by all means quote them. Obviously, the objective is not to upset the author/publisher by making their work available for free.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#43 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 10:52 PM

Am I correct in thinking that the recipe per se is not copyrightable, but that the description is? I.e., that the recipe can be reproduced provided the wording is changed.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#44 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 10:55 PM

That's what I've always heard. One cannot copyright a list of ingredients. So if you want to post a recipe, change the wording in the description/method.

The Voice of America

#45 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 11:36 PM

There is probably a lawyer or two on here who can comment on Fair Use. As far as I recall it, an individual recipe (in its most basic form, as Jaymes says, a list of ingredients) cannot be copyrighted but certainly a collection of recipes can be. What the copyright protects is not the recipe per se but the way it is expressed and presented by the author. This would include the layout, illustrations, any commentary including the description of how the dish is assembled and cooked, and so on.

Reviewers can reproduce a recipe or two from a book in reviewing the book; this is considered a fair use.

If there is already a published version on a web site somewhere else, a link is probably the easiest and safest thing to do (saves typing too!)

Flyfish
I used to be eye candy but now Im more like eye pickle"
Neil Innes

Your father is going deaf. I cant hear a word he says!
My mom

I hope to set an example, you know, for children and stuff."
Captain Hammer